I have a cunning plan!

Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Lynsi has a spectacular aura aboutLynsi has a spectacular aura aboutLynsi has a spectacular aura about
Default I have a cunning plan!

Let me run this by you and see what you think.
I am getting married this Dec and me and new hubby want to immigrate. We are applying for Bunac non-student visas (yes there are still some left!) You have to be in the country by 31st Jan 2010 at the latest to activate you visa, well we are going to Banff for our honeymoon in Dec 09. You can use your visa for multiple entries for the first date of entry so we can come back get ourselves organised and get back there for job hunting. Once we have jobs we apply for Provisional Nom program as both our jobs are on the list for BC. Well what do you think????? Is it a plan or have I overlooked some major hurdle!?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all
Default Re: I have a cunning plan!

Originally Posted by Lynsi
Let me run this by you and see what you think.
I am getting married this Dec and me and new hubby want to immigrate. We are applying for Bunac non-student visas (yes there are still some left!) You have to be in the country by 31st Jan 2010 at the latest to activate you visa, well we are going to Banff for our honeymoon in Dec 09. You can use your visa for multiple entries for the first date of entry so we can come back get ourselves organised and get back there for job hunting. Once we have jobs we apply for Provisional Nom program as both our jobs are on the list for BC. Well what do you think????? Is it a plan or have I overlooked some major hurdle!?
Sounds good! (The Bunac bit certainly, don't know much about PNP.) We originally came over on Bunac non-student work visas. We left the country and returned a few times with no problems.

Remember though that your 12 months visa will start from when you land in Banff so you don't want to be taking too long to get back to Canada and into your adventure! Also, be careful about what name you want on your visa eg your new married name? My OH's name was spelt wrongly on his and we're still having repercussions.

Woo hoo! Good luck.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lynsi has a spectacular aura aboutLynsi has a spectacular aura aboutLynsi has a spectacular aura about

I hadn't thought about the name so thank you. Did you find a job while on your Bunac visa and then go through another route? Do you have any idea if I will be able to ship my dog over once I am there and settled? Will they question my reasons?
Thanks again
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:28 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Timescale is the only problem I can see. You need to find a job, impress your employer enough to make them want to go through the PNP process, then wait the three or so months that the PNP processing actually takes, all within one year of your arrival in Banff. I don't know how long you intend to be back in the UK getting organized but you'll need to be quick about it.

You can't extend a BUNAC visa so you will have to have your PNP nomination approved by Dec 2010. If not you will need a labour market opinion to apply for a TWP, but these can also take several months to process.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Hi Lynsi

No problem at all to bring your doggy from the get-go. We brought our two cats when we first came on Bunac and there were no questions asked. (Now we have a Canadian rescue dog too ..) (By the way, we used http://www.ladyhaye.co.uk/ to bring them over. We wanted them to arrive a week after us so we could get settled in. Ladyhaye were really good, picking them up from the cattery, arranging the vet check, etc and the cats arrived in great shape.) Check out the latest regulations for bringing your dog ...Perhaps on the WIKI on here?

We didn't work for a while when we first arrived as we wanted some time off but OH did some contract work after a while. He works in IT and was in demand ..it's true what they say regarding "it's not what you know but who you know" here, it seems. We were out running with a club and one of the leaders desperately needed a programmer so he was in!

Anyway, we applied for new temporary work permits when the BUNAC ones ran out. These had to be based on a job offer for him but he didn't need an LMO due to the type of job. The new TWP for him was linked to a particular job, not like the BUNAC one which is totally open (except for some restrictions like you can't work with kids or in healthcare, I think). On the back of his new TWP, I have a spousal open work permit.

We have now applied for so-called "fast-track" PR as he has a "permanent" job offer. In the meantime, even while we only have TWPs we have been able to ship all of our furniture from the UK and get a mortgage.

Oh dear, hope this isn't confusing! It can be complicated ...best thing is to have a good read of the WIKI for the definitive answers. It's a mine of great info.

Have a great time planning your wedding and your big trip!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Thank you soooo much you have answered a lot of my questions I have just one more! Can we apply for the new TWP while we are in Canada or do we need to come home? Thanks again for all you help we won't be home for long once we get back from honeymoon just enough to tie things up.I don't want to make our wedding a leaving party it will be emotional enough!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Oo, I'm with you on the leaving party / wedding all roped into one. That wouldn't be so much fun. What a bloomin emotional rollercoaster that would be!

We never actually did the big "we're emigrating" thing as initially we were just coming for a "grown-up" (!) gap year. (Back then you could get BUNAC visas til you were 35 and we just made it.) We sold our house though as we knew we didn't want to go back to it so we did have a lot of people ask if we were REALLY just going for a year. (And those that knew the area from holidays said "you'll never be back.") Anyway, it kind of helped that we were just testing the water in a way. There were no big goodbyes really...I definitely couldn't have coped with a party. If we hadn't wanted to stay we could have just gone back after a year of adventure.

Skype is BRILLIANT for keeping in touch ..honestly, get everyone set up with it before you come over and you can chat on video calls for free. We feel like we can just pop in to visit friends/family for a catchup or to see their new baby, etc. Once there was a family party which we were missing but we were there in the corner of the room on Skype. People kept stopping by the PC to say hi and raise a glass! ..it's amazing.

We applied for the new TWPs from here so there was no need to go home. They took MONTHS to come through though instead of the 30 days we expected. If do you want to stay longer, however you end up doing it, PNP, etc, make sure you apply in plenty of time. There was a period when we didn't have any work permits as the BUNAC ones had run out before the new ones were issued but OH was still allowed to work while we waited.

Are you planning on going to the Banff area to stay? Orrrrr ....Vancouver Island is grand! (And not so cold ..but we do have skiing not tooooo far away.)

Do check out house rentals in advance as there are a lot of landlords, here at least, where there aren't many vacancies, that are not so keen on pets. You could offer glowing references from previous landlords, a bigger deposit maybe, or show pics of your current home to prove he/she's not a chewer, etc, etc. We did manage to find great landlords who were pet people and happy to have us and our animals.

Happy planning!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

I do love this website everyone is so nice! Is it because we are all aspiring Canadians!!! I am 30 at the mo so still able to apply for BUNAC but not for long so gota do it now. We are really hoping to live on Vancouver outskirts not sure yet but will take a look at the Island. I guess it depends where we can find work I am in fitness and hubby is in finance, but the Vancouver area has always been my dream, forests and beaches. Thanks again I feel really confident now x