Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I got a job! What is the next step.

Wikiposts

I got a job! What is the next step.

Old May 25th 2010, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice
Talking I got a job! What is the next step.

Hey,

Some of you may remember that not too long ago I received my BUNAC work visa and was preparing to move to Toronto in June.

Since then I have been job hunting like crazy, and I tonight I just received a phone call from HR offering me the job and outlining the details such as salary and benefits. Shortly after I received and email with a letter of employment. Very exciting!

My question is, nobody really discussed details of the visa or getting permanent residence. The first ever covering letter that I sent to the company stated that "I am moving to Toronto as I have secured a Canadian working visa".

One of the phone calls I later received, that HR lady asked me if I had a visa already, and I told her that yes I had a working visa.

I also sent an email later stating that I would receive my SIN upon arriving in Canada (more or less) as per the terms of my Canadian working holiday visa.

I guess that means that I have stated enough that I'm only there temporarily, indeed it is temporary by the definition of a working visa. However when should I approach the issue of permanent residency? I guess I'm just paranoid because for obvious reasons I never sent an email explicitly saying "I can only stay here for one year!".
Old May 25th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future
Default Re: I got a job! What is the next step.

Originally Posted by Phoresis
Hey,

Some of you may remember that not too long ago I received my BUNAC work visa and was preparing to move to Toronto in June.

Since then I have been job hunting like crazy, and I tonight I just received a phone call from HR offering me the job and outlining the details such as salary and benefits. Shortly after I received and email with a letter of employment. Very exciting!

My question is, nobody really discussed details of the visa or getting permanent residence. The first ever covering letter that I sent to the company stated that "I am moving to Toronto as I have secured a Canadian working visa".

One of the phone calls I later received, that HR lady asked me if I had a visa already, and I told her that yes I had a working visa.

I also sent an email later stating that I would receive my SIN upon arriving in Canada (more or less) as per the terms of my Canadian working holiday visa.

I guess that means that I have stated enough that I'm only there temporarily, indeed it is temporary by the definition of a working visa. However when should I approach the issue of permanent residency? I guess I'm just paranoid because for obvious reasons I never sent an email explicitly saying "I can only stay here for one year!".
Are you totally sure they are aware the visa you have is only valid for one year? Would be worth checking with them rather than relying on them assuming it to be the case.

Above is my opinion anyway.

Tim
Old May 25th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

alspackman is on a distinguished road

Phoresis,

I was offered a permanent job when I was on a Bunac working holiday. After I had been here a few months I had to apply to 'change the conditions' of the visa from Open (I could work for anyone) to Closed (I could only work for the one employer). Once the conditions were changed I was able to extend/change the visa for an additional 3 years, and have since applied for Residency.

I did it through an immigration lawyer and it was quite expensive, but it was worth it as I didn't have to leave the country. As my boss once said to me "It's sometimes better to seek forgiveness than permission". As long as you undertake all the work yourself, I don't see that it makes much difference to your employer. They will have to provide a letter stating they have offered you a permanent job, but I believe that will be all they should have to do.

Good luck!
Old May 25th 2010, 6:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alspackman
They will have to provide a letter stating they have offered you a permanent job, but I believe that will be all they should have to do.
Unfortunately, things have obviously changed since you did it. The OP will need a permanent job offer from his employer, but will also need either a AEO (to apply as Skilled Worker cat 2, arranged employment, to get PR) or LMO (to extend his work permit if he won't have time to get PR before Bunac expires).

Alternatively, he may be eligible for the Ontario PNP if his job is classified as Skilled. For that he won't need an AEO or LMO, but will still need the employer to submit various bits of paperwork for him.

So OP - impress the hell out of them as quickly as you can and then ask them to apply for AEO/PNP within a couple of months if you want to have PR by the time your Bunac ends. I'm not sure how quick Ontario PNP is at the moment, but Skilled Worker visas are taking about 8 months, so check which out of those two options will be the quickest.

Good luck.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Unfortunately, things have obviously changed since you did it. The OP will need a permanent job offer from his employer, but will also need either a AEO (to apply as Skilled Worker cat 2, arranged employment, to get PR) or LMO (to extend his work permit if he won't have time to get PR before Bunac expires).

Alternatively, he may be eligible for the Ontario PNP if his job is classified as Skilled. For that he won't need an AEO or LMO, but will still need the employer to submit various bits of paperwork for him.

So OP - impress the hell out of them as quickly as you can and then ask them to apply for AEO/PNP within a couple of months if you want to have PR by the time your Bunac ends. I'm not sure how quick Ontario PNP is at the moment, but Skilled Worker visas are taking about 8 months, so check which out of those two options will be the quickest.

Good luck.
Thanks for your advice. Do you think I should explicitly email them now and state that the visa expires after a year or just leave it? They are offering me a relocation package also.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoresis
Thanks for your advice. Do you think I should explicitly email them now and state that the visa expires after a year or just leave it? They are offering me a relocation package also.
I think it's only fair that you tell them, especially as they're offering a relocation package. Although you may find that you have something in your contract about having to pay it back if you leave within a certain amount of time (which is common) anyway, but I still think you should tell them that you may only be there for a year.

Good luck.
Old May 26th 2010, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think it's only fair that you tell them, especially as they're offering a relocation package. Although you may find that you have something in your contract about having to pay it back if you leave within a certain amount of time (which is common) anyway, but I still think you should tell them that you may only be there for a year.

Good luck.
Ok, now I'm worried they will suddenly turn around and say they made a mistake and can't employ me. Heh.

Also I've been looking into the provincial nominee program and it seems fairly straightforward. I have a permanent job offer so my company can apply for pre-screening, get fast-tracked because they have already offered me employment, I send off my application form, and if all goes well I get a nomination and then I apply for permanent residence?

Is this something I should enquire about with my employer at this stage, or is it better to just get over there, wait a few months and then start enquiries?