Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I got a good score on the assessment, but I have some questions - pls help.

I got a good score on the assessment, but I have some questions - pls help.

Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Barebear is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile I got a good score on the assessment, but I have some questions - pls help.

Hi folks.

I have a few questions but I'll not bore anyone with a long story.

My girlfriend and I want to move to Canada, possibly Nova Scotia. We live in Scotland, been living together for over 4 years.

I have an BSc Open from the Open University made up of a Mechanical Engineering HNC plus a Design and Innovation Diploma and a couple of related credits. My girlfriend has only got a couple of Highers from school.

I have worked as a School Technician (Tech Dept) for 10 years. My girlfriend has worked in catering and pubs for 10 years.

I am 32, GF is 26.

We have no Jobs lined up.

I got 72 on the self assessment.

I have a few questions I hope you may be able to help with.

I filled in the eligibility form on immigration.ca after responding to an advertisement ( http://www.fish4.co.uk/iad/jobs/adve...&tot=44&page=2 ) They replied and said they could get me and my girlfriend into Canada, with jobs for a fee of £3795 for the Fast Track program. I can post the email if required. How do these services work? Is this OK? Would I have to pay normal fees for immigration, work permits, etc. on top?

How long would we have to wait before we got a mortgage?

Is the Open Uni qualification accepted in Canada?

I do have more to ask, but I think that's enough to get started.

Thanks in advance.

BB

Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:38 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I got a good score on the assessment, but I have some questions - pls help.

There's nothing called the "Fast Track Programme". Perhaps they were referring to an expedited PR process with an LMO. Did they specify if they would be acting as representatives in order to assist with your PR application, or just getting you work permits? They sound dodgy as **** to me.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:33 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got a good score on the assessment, but I have some questions - pls help.

Originally Posted by Barebear
Hi folks.

My girlfriend and I want to move to Canada, possibly Nova Scotia. We live in Scotland, been living together for over 4 years.

I have an BSc Open from the Open University made up of a Mechanical Engineering HNC plus a Design and Innovation Diploma and a couple of related credits. My girlfriend has only got a couple of Highers from school.

I have worked as a School Technician (Tech Dept) for 10 years. My girlfriend has worked in catering and pubs for 10 years.

I am 32, GF is 26.

I filled in the eligibility form on immigration.ca after responding to an advertisement ( http://www.fish4.co.uk/iad/jobs/adve...&tot=44&page=2 ) They replied and said they could get me and my girlfriend into Canada, with jobs for a fee of £3795 for the Fast Track program. I can post the email if required. How do these services work? Is this OK? Would I have to pay normal fees for immigration, work permits, etc. on top?

Thanks in advance.

BB

Read thoroughly www.cic.gc.ca There is no such thing as a fast track program - be very wary!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:09 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

So called fast track processing exists, but it is not any kind of a separate program. It is simply the high processing priority given to applications with arranged employment in skilled workers class and PNP - for example in CHC London such applications, providing that they are well and conclusively prepared, are being processed in 8 to 12 months, compared to being submitted since September applications without arranged employment that will have to wait 4 to 5 years or longer for their initial assessment stage.

I also doubt your 72 points score - unless you have qualified relatives in Canada, completed 2 years study in Canada, at least 1 years work in Canada or got extra points for French language proficiency you just cannot score more than 67 points with your education level.

Degrees from some Open Uni's are acceptable as educational credentials, while from many others are not. It all depends from the accreditation, program you completed, degree received and duration of such program if taken on standard, full time basis. And of course from supporting evidence.

Because majority of people overstate or understate their qualifications when doing self-assessment online or completing an online assessment that simply generates results using web form scripts such assessments are not as reliable as many may think. Nothing can replace a manual evaluation done by qualified authorized immigration representative who takes into consideration much more than just basic data asked by online forms.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:46 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks.

I am 32, GF is 26.

Thanks in advance.

BB

Hi BB

I moved to Nova Scotia last year with my wife and 2 kids. We love it here. Let me know if there are any questions you have about Nova Scotia - I'd be happy to help.

Regarding the "fast track program" although there is nothing officially called this, Nova Scotia does have something called a Provincial Nominee Program (check out http://www.novascotiaimmigration.com...iteid=1&lang=1). It is fast track in effect. Wheras the normal Federal Skilled Worker route can take up to 4 years, the NS PNP program could get you Permanent Residency in about 6-7 months. The catch it that in most cases you do need a job offer from an employer in Nova Scotia. Perhaps this is what the company who emailed you were getting at. I'd be fairly wary of this though - the PNP program is something you do yourself - not something you get a company to sort out for you. Perhaps they are in the business of trying to line-up job offers for people who want to apply but again I would be really wary of something like this, especially if you had to pay the fees without any guarantee of success. I would just get in touch with the Nova Scotia immigration office directly. Try searching for a suitable job on the web and see if there is something you could apply for. You need to make it really clear to any prospective employer that you are serious - offer them a telephone interview and also offer to come over for a face-to-face interview if they are still interested. Having to wait 6-7 months for you to go through the PNP program might put some employers off so make sure they realise that you can start work on a work permit while you are waiting for your Permanent residency application to go through. Also, if you go through the Nova Scotia PNP program you don't have to meet the points score that you do for the federal program.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:54 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

If you had a job here I cant see any reason why you wouldn't qualify for a mortgage straight away.

My experience is that you can't "transfer" your credit history from the UK to Canada so generally you get turned down for everything you apply for initially as you have no credit history. However mortgages are probably the exception - evidently there is enough money at stake that banks are willing to actually assess you individually rathet than just relying on what the computer tells them. They will probably want a letter of reference from your UK bank and an Equifax print-out may help too.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NSpaul
If you had a job here I cant see any reason why you wouldn't qualify for a mortgage straight away.

My experience is that you can't "transfer" your credit history from the UK to Canada so generally you get turned down for everything you apply for initially as you have no credit history. However mortgages are probably the exception - evidently there is enough money at stake that banks are willing to actually assess you individually rathet than just relying on what the computer tells them. They will probably want a letter of reference from your UK bank and an Equifax print-out may help too.
Actually I think you can transfer AMEX cards and a HSBC account. The AMEX card maybe of use, but HSBC have so few branches it may not be worthwhile...

HTH.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by smitp11
Actually I think you can transfer AMEX cards and a HSBC account. The AMEX card maybe of use, but HSBC have so few branches it may not be worthwhile...

HTH.
HSBC have dozens of branches in Vancouver... anyway, you can only transfer your credit history with them if you have a Premier account which involves having either a big mortgage or hefty savings with them. MBNA will take your UK card into account if you apply for a card with them in Canada.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:47 am
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by bazzz
HSBC have dozens of branches in Vancouver... anyway, you can only transfer your credit history with them if you have a Premier account which involves having either a big mortgage or hefty savings with them. MBNA will take your UK card into account if you apply for a card with them in Canada.
But isn't the credit history thing more to do with establishing a history on the main Credit Agency computer? I understand there is only one credit reference database in Canada that all the banks use...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

Andrew, would it be ok to do the form on your site to see if I really do have the score CIC says?

Paul, I certainly will take you up on the offer of advice about NS, like weather, lifestyle, things to do, access to the rest of North America, etc. (maybe on another thread?) Cheers

Where can I get info on things like income and council tax rates, mortgage rates, cost of living in general, Fuel costs (car & home), etc?

I'd also like to find a site for info on health care and schooling (because you never know what the future holds ).

Thanks again.

BB
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by NSpaul
But isn't the credit history thing more to do with establishing a history on the main Credit Agency computer? I understand there is only one credit reference database in Canada that all the banks use...
Yep, but at least if you went down this route you'd actually be able to get some credit in the first place...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Degrees from some Open Uni's are acceptable as educational credentials, while from many others are not.
If it's from The Open University then it should be ok.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_University
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Yes JAJ, it is from the real Open University. I have done 3 courses with them, two at 60 points and one at 10 pts. That 130 points adds on to the 170 points I got as a credit transfer for my HNC and a Marketing Short course. Which comes to the required 300 pts for the "BSc Open".

As it's not a named degree, I assume I'll have to detail the credits for any prospective employer.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:09 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It means you don't have any degree, only some courses taken which will not give you any points beyond high school level, regardless the accummulated ponts in Open Uni. Unless you still have some other, non-university trade certificate, diploma or apprenticeship program completed. If you don't then your score from self-assessment is well overstated.

The only assessment form on my website are only the link to official CIC's self-assessment test and downloadable assessment form that after completion should be emailed to me for comprehensive and free evaluation. I simply don't believe in computerized, online assessments due to limitations of such as well as to the under and overstating claims by people who go through such online assessments. Nothing can replace a personal evaluation, done by a human.

If you want real assessment then please download my assessment form from here:

http://andrewmillercanada.com/q_skilled.html

or simply click on email link on the same page to request assessment form.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 11th 2007 at 2:14 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It means you don't have any degree, only some courses taken which will not give you any points beyond high school level, regardless the accummulated ponts in Open Uni.
300 points (at specified levels) is enough for an unclassified BA/BSc Open University degree. Assuming his degree has been awarded then that should be acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.