I don't need an LMO?

Old May 16th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough
Default I don't need an LMO?

Hello Folks,

I have been chasing up the progress of my work permit and asking about the LMO letter, as we also want to put for PR.

The company recruitment chappie however has just emailed me saying that: ' As far as the Labor Market Opinion, we do not need to have one..You have been working for xxx for more than a year.'

That does not sound right - I don't think I have read that anywhere before.
If it matters I work for an IT service company as a middle manager.

Regards,

Mr B.
Old May 16th 2008, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't need an LMO?

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.
Hello Folks,

I have been chasing up the progress of my work permit and asking about the LMO letter, as we also want to put for PR.

The company recruitment chappie however has just emailed me saying that: ' As far as the Labor Market Opinion, we do not need to have one..You have been working for xxx for more than a year.'

That does not sound right - I don't think I have read that anywhere before.
If it matters I work for an IT service company as a middle manager.

Regards,

Mr B.
Sounds as though this is an intra-company transfer? If so, the recruitment guy is right as you don't need a LMO for an intra-company transfer. That's what we're doing, hubby is transferring from his London office to Vancouver office and he's been told the same thing (and I've double checked it so it's definitely right!). See the following from CIC website, have bolded the important bit.......................

"Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion

People in the following categories need a work permit but do not need a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC):

Workers covered under international agreements
Professionals, traders, investors and business people coming to Canada to work under certain international agreements

Entrepreneurs and intra-company transferees
Some types of entrepreneurs, workers transferring within a company, and other types of workers who will provide significant benefit to Canadians or permanent residents by working in Canada

Participants in exchange programs
People whose employment in Canada will provide similar employment to Canadians abroad, such as participants in youth exchange programs, teacher exchange programs or other reciprocal programs

Co-op students
Foreign students who are studying in Canada and who need to do co-op work placements as part of their program of study
Spouses

Spouses and common-law partners of certain foreign workers and of certain foreign students who are currently studying or working under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
Spouses of certain foreign students may obtain a work permit without having to obtain a labour market opinion from HRSDC. This exemption applies to spouses who are not themselves enrolled in full-time studies.
Eligibility criteria: To be allowed to work in this category, you must prove that you are the spouse of a student who holds a valid student permit and who is studying full time at a post-secondary institution—a university, a community college, a CEGEP, a technical or school of commercial studies—that is financed by the private or public sector and authorized by provincial law to award university degrees.

Academics and students
Certain academics and students

Religious workers

People doing charitable or religious work

Others

Certain people who need to support themselves while they are in Canada for other reasons such as the refugee determination process

Hope that helps.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 16th 2008 at 1:32 pm.
Old May 16th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough

Duh......I cannot believe we didn't read that!!! Argh....and here I was thinking we had thoroughly researched everything! oh-oh.....what *else* may we have missed!?
Thanks for clarifying, the fact that we don't need it makes us feel better actually.... that's at least one piece of paperwork we *don't* need to hand in :-) We are planning to come in on a TWP and as soon as we have arrived in Toronto, we will put in for PR, let's hope we won't miss anything vital of *that* application!

Mrs B.
Old May 30th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

there is no mention of IT workers and yet there are mentions of certain types of them not requiring LMO elsewhere on the CIC here & HRSDC here

but the question remains, are they exempt? The NOC codes on the CIC page are not recognised in the NOC database

I am trying to find out if i need one, as i have an urgent job offer.
Old May 30th 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cheepnis
there is no mention of IT workers and yet there are mentions of certain types of them not requiring LMO elsewhere on the CIC here & HRSDC here

but the question remains, are they exempt? The NOC codes on the CIC page are not recognised in the NOC database

I am trying to find out if i need one, as i have an urgent job offer.
Hi, I work in IT as a software developer and I didn't need an LMO. I did have some problems at the port of entry when I was applying for the TWP as the NOC codes didn't match but I got it sorted eventually and the immigration officer actually apologised for the delay.

I think the main thing is you can prove you meet the criteria for the LMO exempt IT jobs.
Old May 30th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sinurt
I think the main thing is you can prove you meet the criteria for the LMO exempt IT jobs.
cheers sinurt.

my prospective employees reckon theres nowt to worry about. tell me though, in the blurb for my category, virtually all of the platforms and software listed are like 10 years out of date, with loads of systems being basically obsolete.

Was it the same with your line of work vs your category?

Lets hope not but, I can somehow imagine the immigration officers not being all that tech-savvy and that the difference between the list of skills on my resume vs their official document could potentially cause difficulty.
Old May 30th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cheepnis
cheers sinurt.

my prospective employees reckon theres nowt to worry about. tell me though, in the blurb for my category, virtually all of the platforms and software listed are like 10 years out of date, with loads of systems being basically obsolete.

Was it the same with your line of work vs your category?

Lets hope not but, I can somehow imagine the immigration officers not being all that tech-savvy and that the difference between the list of skills on my resume vs their official document could potentially cause difficulty.
My category was the same - experience in c, visual basic etc, my job is in c# and .Net but I have the experience of working in c and vb from years ago. I took along reference letters from my previous employers, a copy of my resume and to be honest I don't think the immigration officer really looked at them. I guess it really depends on how thoroughly they check your skills, if they even check them.