Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I ARRIVED IN CANADA WITH THE INTENTION OF ASKING MY FIANCE TO MARRY ME

I ARRIVED IN CANADA WITH THE INTENTION OF ASKING MY FIANCE TO MARRY ME

Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

BAAS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I ARRIVED IN CANADA WITH THE INTENTION OF ASKING MY FIANCE TO MARRY ME

Thanks, that's really helpful. As it stands I have no money left from what I arrived here with initially and no credit card. I am now being supported by my OH. Is this normal and accepted as a way of support and in regard to my extension, what do you think I should write?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I ARRIVED IN CANADA WITH THE INTENTION OF ASKING MY FIANCE TO MARRY ME

Hi there.

It's not unusual. I would have your wife write a letter confirming that she is supporting you financially whilst you wait for your PR processing and that she undertakes to purchase an airline ticket for you in the event of your application being unsuccessful. She should supply copies of her bank statements to show she has sufficient income (there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsorship, this is just to show she can support you whilst the application is going through).

Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

So you suggest stating that I have no personal funds will be ok?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Siouxie, do you think if my wife writes a letter that shows that she is willing to support me and has the means to be able to buy me a ticket should my application be turned down, suffice?

Thanks.

Last edited by BAAS; Jul 6th 2011 at 2:35 am.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by siouxie
Hi there.

It's not unusual. I would have your wife write a letter confirming that she is supporting you financially whilst you wait for your PR processing and that she undertakes to purchase an airline ticket for you in the event of your application being unsuccessful. She should supply copies of her bank statements to show she has sufficient income (there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsorship, this is just to show she can support you whilst the application is going through).

Originally Posted by BAAS
Siouxie, do you think if my wife writes a letter that shows that she is willing to support me and has the means to be able to buy me a ticket should my application be turned down, suffice?

Thanks.

Isnt that exactly what Siouxie wrote?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

markbev is an unknown quantity at this point

When on arrival asked my intentions in regard to visiting Canada I told them that I was visiting friends, which I was as I have other friends here too.

Will they believe I came here under false pretenses?, or do they even have a log of my chat with the IO?

[/QUOTE]

As long as you dont own up to this on a public internet forum they should never find out
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markbev
When on arrival asked my intentions in regard to visiting Canada I told them that I was visiting friends, which I was as I have other friends here too.Will they believe I came here under false pretenses?, or do they even have a log of my chat with the IO?
As long as you dont own up to this on a public internet forum they should never find out

They would never know it was me I dont use my real name of eddie murphy!...did i say that outloud

Last edited by edmontonian; Jul 6th 2011 at 1:09 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:14 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edmontonian

They would never know it was me I dont use my real name of eddie murphy!...did i say that outloud
damm you loose tongue and addictive forums

I bet there are immigration officials lurking these parts you know trying to piece together info given by people and what they say!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe, but there was no false intent or misrepresentation on my part anyhow. Plus at this stage folks, I could really do without the extra paranoia........ our life together depends on this.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

As well as a letter include a copy of some recent pay slips to show she is actually earning......That is what I included to extend mine.

I basically said in my reason for extension.....Looking to extend my visitor visa to spend more time with my husband and family / dont want to overstay my legal time in the country therefore applying to extend / I am going through the application paperwork for spousal sponsorship and am looking to apply and am concerned that the remainder of my time of my current visitor visa will not be enough time for me to apply / I am aware that should the extension be rejected I must leave the country as per the terms advised etc etc

Obviously I cant remember my exact words but I mentioned all of the above and was accepted. I know you are not married but your PR application would be going down the same path anyway. Your 'friendship' could have developed while you are here so dont worry about what you said at immigration as it is kinda true anyway. When I came in I didnt say I was coming to apply for PR, I told them I was coming on holiday to visit hubby who was working here which was true except I didnt intend to stay on just a holiday and had a return ticket.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BAAS
Maybe, but there was no false intent or misrepresentation on my part anyhow. Plus at this stage folks, I could really do without the extra paranoia........ our life together depends on this.
We all appreciate that this immigration process depends on your life together, but so does it for many many people on here, I myself have not seen my wife since May 1st and dont expect to until maybe end September early october, we have been married for 12 years and this is the longest we have ever been apart, some people have been apart for far longer than than we have, so take a chill pill and just take a deep breath.

If you cant laugh at this stage your going to be a wreck by the time the whole process has finished. You need to keep a clear head to fill in the application forms and make sure you have everything in place to send off, and worrying and freaking out isnt going to help you one bit.

I am pretty sure no one on here is acusing you of any misrepresentation. You will find to while away the time, people on here will joke about. I for one am glad of that as its very stressful as it is.