Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I ARRIVED IN CANADA WITH THE INTENTION OF ASKING MY FIANCE TO MARRY ME

I ARRIVED IN CANADA WITH THE INTENTION OF ASKING MY FIANCE TO MARRY ME

Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

BAAS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I ARRIVED IN CANADA WITH THE INTENTION OF ASKING MY FIANCE TO MARRY ME

I arrived in Canada on 6 month visitors (UK citizen) at around the beginning of the year,with the intention of asking my fiance to marry me, not knowing if she would accept (I had a return ticket just in case). When on arrival asked my intentions in regard to visiting Canada I told them that I was visiting friends, which I was as I have other friends here too. Alas, she accepted my proposal, we now plan to marry soon and our wedding which will be a small affair, falls before my 6 months is up, thereby allowing me to apply for spousal/pr. We have family coming over later in the year to join us in a larger "celebration of marriage" as that then coincides with UK school holidays, allowing more people to attend.). Will they believe I came here under false pretenses?, or do they even have a log of my chat with the IO?

Please explain as much as you can.

Many thanks.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:21 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I ARRIVED IN CANADA WITH THE INTENTION OF ASKING MY FIANCE TO MARRY ME

I do not expect you will have much of a problem.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: I ARRIVED IN CANADA WITH THE INTENTION OF ASKING MY FIANCE TO MARRY ME

Hi - congratulations on your forthcoming wedding

I agree with Jim it should not be a problem with what you have stated as your intentions on point of entry. However, the spousal PR process, although faster than most - will still take at least 3 or 4 months.

So my concern will be how do you intend to remain legally in Canada after the 6 months visiting time is up, since I don't think you have 3 to 4 months after your wedding to wait for the PR? I would have thought you would have to come back to the UK until your PR is approved. CIC will probably take a rather dim view during your PR process if they find out that at any point you are in Canada illegally.

Wayne.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

Did you mean "Alas, she accepted my proposal"? I always thought Alas means doom and sorrow! or perahps thats what you meant Anyway congratulations of your forth coming wedding, dont suppose I will get an invite after that comment
Ed Wife
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:04 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle

I agree with Jim it should not be a problem with what you have stated as your intentions on point of entry. However, the spousal PR process, although faster than most - will still take at least 3 or 4 months.

So my concern will be how do you intend to remain legally in Canada after the 6 months visiting time is up, since I don't think you have 3 to 4 months after your wedding to wait for the PR? I would have thought you would have to come back to the UK until your PR is approved. CIC will probably take a rather dim view during your PR process if they find out that at any point you are in Canada illegally.

Wayne.
Surely they will just apply to extend their Visitor Visa with an application to Vegreville/online application?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Waggle

Wayne.
I guess he could always get an extension to his visitor visa, think you have to allpy at least 6 weeks before its up though. Maybe someone can confirm this for me.
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAAS
Alas, she accepted my proposal,

Sounds like a good way to start a marriage !
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Surely they will just apply to extend their Visitor Visa with an application to Vegreville/online application?
haha, snap Amy, great minds think alike
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Well, that would work! I wasn't aware it could be extended, i.e. after you have been in Canada for 6 months on a UK passport as a visitor you had to return and couldn't return to Canada for another 6 months as a visitor?

Ah well, was just making the point that the OP does have to make sure he is in the country legally whilst his spousal PR is being processed

Wayne.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Well, after phoning CIC I have been told that I can stay on implied status during an inland application and do not even need an extension as well as being able to apply for an open work permit.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, after phoning CIC I have been told that I can stay on implied status during an inland application and do not even need an extension as well as being able to apply for an open work permit.
Excellent.

Sorry I didn't mean to alarm you I just wanted to make sure you had things covered whilst your spousal application was being processed! Best of luck with it and with your forthcoming wedding!

Wayne.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, but do I have implied status if I apply outland?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You do realise that inland will take a year or more, versus 2-4 months for outland? It'll take you quite a while to get that open work permit, and you'd have PR way before that if you do outland.

Up to you of course, but I can't see why you'd do inland, when you could just extend your visitor visa and apply outland.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, im leaning heavily towards outland, but would I have implied status? If I needed to submit an extension, do you think the reason to extend my stay as ".... while awaiting the outcome of my spousal/pr application" would suffice?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply for an extention on your visitor status, you must make sure it is received by CIC before your current one expires. I would suggest having it arrive about a week prior. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp The reason you would give is that you are waiting for your PR application to be processed (providing you have submitted it) and you would show a copy of your receipt of fees for PR as proof, marking it "COPY" so that it is not confused with your receipt for the extention, which costs $75). You should also state that should your application for PR be denied then you would leave Canada willingly.

Once your application to extend is received by CIC you are automatically on assumed status until a decision is made. Current processing times are 160 days when submitted by post (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp ) giving you ample time to complete your application for spousal PR and submit it. A word of caution though, should you leave Canada for any reason your assumed status lapses.

I would not recommend applying "inland" for spousal PR - it takes upwards of a year to process. Applying "outland" is considerably quicker and you can remain in Canada whilst it is being processed. You will not be able to work, but the speed of processing far outweighs the potential loss of income.

Edit: Also include proof of your ability to support yourself and buy a return ticket, whether it be bank statements, confirmation of Mastercard/Visa balance or a letter of support from your wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.