Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I am Scared (change in points) - Experts advice welcome

I am Scared (change in points) - Experts advice welcome

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

rahul_singh23 will become famous soon enoughrahul_singh23 will become famous soon enough
Default I am Scared (change in points) - Experts advice welcome

Hello,

Some one at my work was telling that Canada Immigration points are changing (increasing.. may be 80) from existing 67 points and all the people will be effected who did not receive their visas.

I am scared with that....

Thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 3:45 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am Scared (change in points) - Experts advice welcome

Originally Posted by rahul_singh23
Hello,

Some one at my work was telling that Canada Immigration points are changing (increasing.. may be 80) from existing 67 points and all the people will be effected who did not receive their visas.

Thanks
There are always rumours in the market. That is one of them. There is no indication that it will occur but it is possible thus the rumours.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 4:38 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Hello,

Thanks
No use hypothesizing about that one.

When I get a panic attack I go into IET (Intensive E/client Therapy):

Breathe in........check e/client.........Breate out...........
Breathe in........check e/client.........Breate out...........

Believe me, it helps
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

cryout is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Thanks

80? ?

In this way they would have to reject about 70% of the applications if not more!!! I can't believe it, but in this period I am so vulnerable that I feel worse after reading your rumors....
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 6:11 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cryout
80? ?

In this way they would have to reject about 70% of the applications if not more!!! I can't believe it, but in this period I am so vulnerable that I feel worse after reading your rumors....
Breathe my friend breathe,.....

Anyone can cause a panic on this forum these days by throwing a number in the air.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

jordan123 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Thanks
I believe that once you have your AOR you are locked in. By this I mean if the points raise after you recieve your AOR, it does not matter as your application will only be assessed according to the point pass mark when you submitted the application.

Maybe the experts will be able to advise whether this is right or wrong?
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 8:33 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to burst your confidence, but there is no lock in date for pass mark or any other selection criteria. Current law simply uses pass mark as management tool -just as it happened on Sep 18 2003 when pass mark was changed and applied not only to new applications but also to all still pending.

Read the rule here:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2-227/sec77.html

Originally Posted by jordan123
I believe that once you have your AOR you are locked in. By this I mean if the points raise after you recieve your AOR, it does not matter as your application will only be assessed according to the point pass mark when you submitted the application.

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 8:35 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jordan123

I disagree, you are not locked in until your visa is stamped. That's as far as being influenced by the change of points. As far as getting PR status, it is not a done deal until you actually land.

Cryout, you can only worry about things you can control. Obviously non of us have a say on the points system, so don't worry about it! All you can do is be prepared and don't make mistakes on your part so that your application goes through fast!

Having said that, now go check your eclient!
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

poeticjustice is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thanks
How can this be when they are crying for skilled workers in some areas??????????
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 9:57 am
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point

It could always happen--which is one of the reasons I am in a state of semi-panic that I have to resubmit my passport.

However, a point change without a lock-in date would cause a lot of new lawsuits--especially if it is drastic. I am completely *unqualified* to say this, but I can't imagine that there will be a point change soon. And if there is, I would bet that there will be some sort of transitional amendments.

But who knows? This has been a big debate since the last point drop on all the forums and the news. Let's hope all of us have stamps before anything happens.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 12:42 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by Inspace
It could always happen--which is one of the reasons I am in a state of semi-panic that I have to resubmit my passport.

However, a point change without a lock-in date would cause a lot of new lawsuits--especially if it is drastic. I am completely *unqualified* to say this, but I can't imagine that there will be a point change soon. And if there is, I would bet that there will be some sort of transitional amendments.

But who knows? This has been a big debate since the last point drop on all the forums and the news. Let's hope all of us have stamps before anything happens.

A lawsuit if the points are revised upward would probably be pointless, but if the points go up, someone will try.

What the problem really is that the politicians listened to Immigration lawyers, the Immigrant community lobbies and lowered the points to 67. Everyone say great, easier to get into Canada, I can make 67 points easy. Now go back an look over the threads about "how long until I get my AI", "I got my AOR, but they say it will be xx months before they look at my AP" IRPA was to replace the previous Act, where a lot of decision were subjective by I.O. , i.e. adaptibility, language, whether the job was on the acceptable list and the applicant made all the requirements of the NOC. Under the old Act the waiting list became unmanageable and CIC spent massive amounts of time and money defending their refusals in the Federal Court.

IRPA was to solve this, with a reasonable point level Canada would get its 250K Immigrants every year (100-125K Skilled Workers) with little or no backlog. It addressed the preference in the old Act where education became the "be all end all" Previously a tradesman/woman with ony 12 years of education and a apprenticeship didn't have a hope in hell of receiving a visa.

IRPA with the original 75 point threshold (maybe with a minor revision downward if needed) would have worked fairly well, so that a prospective immigrant that met the points could submit their application and be assured that they would get a visa within a reasonable time frame, instead of now putting their lives on hold to wait for a year or more to only find if they met the basic qualifications.

This is what you get when politicians listen to the Immigration Industry and do what is best for their future, rather than the future of country that they were elected to serve.

PMM
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

poeticjustice is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thanks
I have researched this subject and came up with the following information that might help relieve some of the panic, mine included. The 2005 Canadian Budget Speech stated - "Similarly, for both productivity and social reasons, Canada needs to attract and retain skilled immigrants—and ensure they can reach their full potential within our society". The budget appears to have designated funds for immigration programs and settlement services etc. The link is listed below, scroll down to "Enhancing Productivity". I hope this helps a little. http://www.fin.gc.ca/budget05/speech/speeche.htm
AC
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 2:46 pm

Speaches are for political purposes only and they change nothing.

Facts are as follows:

1. Canadian government is setting every year a target number (quotas) in each class and such is approved by Parliament.

2. The target Canada wants to achieve within next few years is immigration equal to 1% of Canada's population. This means from current about 250,000 quota we may have within next few years an annual quota of 300,000 - and please don't count on anything beyond that, it just can't and won't happen.

3. Current law with lowered (thanks to politicians more intrested in votes than in manageable immigration program) to 67 points pass mark makes meeting selection criteria much easier than the old law that caused huge backlog in the first place. Now, as a result backlog grows even faster than before.

4. Current number of applications being submitted from qualified with 67 points pass mark candidates is from 2 to 7 or more times larger (depending from visa post) than annual quotas and gap is increasing - thus processing times will be from 2 to 7+ years and will be increasing too.

The only solution is to use the pass mark as it was designed and raise it to the 72 - 75 points level. But knowing politicians they may decide (hopefuly not) to raise it temporary to well above 75 points level just to clear the growing backlog.

There was absolutely no shortage of qualifying applications when pass mark was 75 points. Politicians are to blame for lowering pass mark in Sep 2003 - but they are not being punished for it at all. Applicants are the ones being punished.

Originally Posted by poeticjustice
I have researched this subject and came up with the following information that might help relieve some of the panic, mine included. The 2005 Canadian Budget Speech stated - "Similarly, for both productivity and social reasons, Canada needs to attract and retain skilled immigrants—and ensure they can reach their full potential within our society". The budget appears to have designated funds for immigration programs and settlement services etc. The link is listed below, scroll down to "Enhancing Productivity". I hope this helps a little. http://www.fin.gc.ca/budget05/speech/speeche.htm
AC

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Apr 2nd 2005 at 2:48 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 3:02 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

I think Canada is better off designating more budget to handle the large number of immigrants, rather than raising the points to 72 or 75. A person scoring 67 points can bring as much value to Canadian society as a person scoring 72 or 75.

If the problem is the large backlog, then hire more immigration officers. Don't deny Canadian society the chance to have more skilled and talented people! We are talking about people with Master's degrees and Phd's, not high school drop outs!
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 3:59 pm

It can't and won't happen. You can't just bring larger number of immigrants - economy won't be able to handle it, there will be no jobs for them and as a result our whole social umbrella will collapse too. The 1% of population as annual immigration target is probably the most we'll ever have.

Originally Posted by MJ23
I think Canada is better off designating more budget to handle the large number of immigrants, rather than raising the points to 72 or 75. A person scoring 67 points can bring as much value to Canadian society as a person scoring 72 or 75.

If the problem is the large backlog, then hire more immigration officers. Don't deny Canadian society the chance to have more skilled and talented people! We are talking about people with Master's degrees and Phd's, not high school drop outs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.