Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I am confused about pnp vs temp permit

I am confused about pnp vs temp permit

Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

AdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant future
Default I am confused about pnp vs temp permit

I am not sure if I am completely missing something (I probably am though!), but why go via pnp instead of getting a temp permit and applying for PR? For both you need the LMO don't you?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am confused about pnp vs temp permit

Originally Posted by AdamF
I am not sure if I am completely missing something (I probably am though!), but why go via pnp instead of getting a temp permit and applying for PR? For both you need the LMO don't you?
LMO is not needed for PNP, unless the provincial authorities demand it.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

AdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant future

I guess that is what I was missing then, haha.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:08 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamF
hm, did you try a search? i'm sure this has been discussed several times before...

assuming that you are looking at ways to come to canada in the first place the difference is clear. once you are through the whole two-step pnp-process you are permanent resident. (there is wiki article about that) if you come over on a wp you come to canada but still have to go through the whole pr process (based on points).
which route you prefer really depends on your personal circumstances.
clearly depending on the processing time of the province (some are as fast as four to eight weeks for nomination like bc, where you would wait up to half a year for a lmo) the whole process from mailing your first form to getting pr seems to be faster for pnp's. if you just want to be out here as soon as possible the wp route might or might not (have a look at the lmo time line thread please...) be faster.
oh but i nearly forgot the sideline: as soon as you are nominated by your province - which means you've taken the first important hurdle for pr - you are able to apply for a lmo-exempt wp. so to stay with the example of bc: instead of waiting for months for your lmo you just get the confirmation lettre from bcpnp and get your wp after two months in the pr process. read more about rule r204c here

which province are you looking at? the skilled occupation of bcpnp doesn't require a lmo, and a few weeks back sinp was discussed here for which you don't need a lmo either. (i don't know pnp requirements of every province by heart though...) this applies only if you apply from outside of canada - if you come over on a wp first and then apply for pnp from inside of canada you most probably need a lmo to get your legal status - the wp - first.
every province has a different way to select their nominees. the criteria and standards are set by them and differ from province to province. so please check with the pnp office of the province you are heading to.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

I've read everything on this site for a long time, it was a simple question, which was already answered.

If I use search, will you use capital letters?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:15 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

well, i did count and i found two question marks in your original post...
i was doing more than one search before i wrote my answers to both of your questions because i tried to get the things together as clear and complete as i can. that time consuming process is the reason that i missed jajs answer.

and about using or in my case not using capitals: the first forum i joined banned me because i made spelling mistakes, most of them were about starting words with capitals which don't need them - and no, i'm not talking about using capitals for the whole length of the word which equals shouting.
i then started to write without capitals at all. it has become part of my personal writing stile. i still make mistakes but at least not using capitals is accepted by enough people i "meet" here and elsewhere on the internet (and i've read enough posts from native english speakers which are worse than mine).
if you have a problem with that feel free to ignore me. and i promise that i will not bother you or interfere in your threads anymore.

Last edited by lof; Jan 1st 2008 at 8:30 am.