Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical scenario - advice please

Wikiposts

Hypothetical scenario - advice please

Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

qman8166 is on a distinguished road
Default Hypothetical scenario - advice please

Hi all, Ive been offered a job in Nanaimo, and its certainly an offer we will take. My family and I are looking to be in place in May 2009, after we go throught the TWP, LMO, conversion of our SW application to permanent etc.
My question is :

Would it be possible for me to visit Nanaimo once a month or six weeks for a week at a time to "work" for my new boss while all the paperwork goes through? The job offer is vocal at the moment, and when I visit in May there will be a contract and the ball will start rolling. Id like to "start work" immediately from UK by visiting frequently until everything is sorted on the paperwork side.
Would Immigration get suspicious of my frequent visits? Would my new employer be able to legally pay me?

What do you think guys?

Mike
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:29 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hypothetical scenario - advice please

You can't work without work permit, period.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:46 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You can't work without work permit, period.
Is it really as simple as that, Andrew?

I had visited Canada on business before moving here, to attend a series of meetings at a company's offices and a conference centre. I was not contracted to a Canadian employer at the time, was not resident in Canada, and had not at that stage started any immigration process, so circumstances did not exactly parallel the OP's. But if the OP is employed (and paid) in the UK, would it not be acceptable to have regularly scheduled series of meetings (for a week, once every couple of months) in Canada without requiring a work permit? I think that's what he's asking...
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:31 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it is not what OP asked about. Read the post again please.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:53 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
No, it is not what OP asked about. Read the post again please.
Hahahaha. I love your style, Andrew. I can just picture you sitting there, reading every post, muttering "Idiot!" under your breath before dashing off another terse reply.

Lighten up dude, this is BC!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

qman8166 is on a distinguished road

Andrew, thanks and to the point. It was a scenario I drew up while my mind was working overtime during the night.

Cheers

Mike