Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hypothectical Question re: PR status

Hypothectical Question re: PR status

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice
Default Hypothectical Question re: PR status

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice to a hypothetical question please. If we have received our PR visas and husband has changed his mind, are the children and myself still able to go and live the dream (husband is the principal applicant!). Haven't landed yet - were due to in Jan 09.

thank you
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:17 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hypothectical Question re: PR status

hi
i'm not in any way qualified to answere this question but i would have thought that if you ALL land on a pr visa....then yes, you and the kids could stay as long as the 'they' do not know of your plans for oh to not be in canada forever.....you have to be resident for 2 years out of a 5 year period and i would have thought that if you're working and the kids have been in school/working for 5 years, then what your oh was doing or where he was was irrelivant, as the canadian's wouldn't want to lose you if your intention was to stay.....too much investment in you......technically it's possible, i would have thought but sorry to hear that this might be a possibility.....and i'm guessing that oh has no intention of landing and as principal applicant he will need too to 'trigger' the landing on pr.......

others on here would have a much better idea than me, i'm sure....so good luck...
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:55 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

I would say the same, you all need to land to start the pr visa's

Once that is done he can leave and you stay with the kids, you will also need to look at the situation with him and the kids, that visiting etc
canada is very family friendly....hope that helps
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:29 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batfink
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice to a hypothetical question please. If we have received our PR visas and husband has changed his mind, are the children and myself still able to go and live the dream (husband is the principal applicant!). Haven't landed yet - were due to in Jan 09.

thank you
The rules are basically as follows...

Your PR visas do not mean your are Permanent Residents - you have to become landed first.

You can all become landed together. Or your husband (the principal applicant) can become landed first and then you and the kids can do it later. You cant do it the other way around though - the prinicipal applicant must become landed before accompanying family members.

So I guess the answer to you question is "no", you would have to ensure he goes through with the landing process at least even if he doesnt plan on living in Canada after all.

Once you are landed your PR status is not tied to his - in other words if he failed to meet the residency requirement and could potentially have his PR status revoked but you had met the residency requirement there then your PR status could not be revoked just because his was.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

Thanks everyone, i really appreciate your replies. Hopefully it won't come to that but I would like to have all the options in case it does!

Thanks again