Wikiposts

Husband heading back to UK

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:21 am
Just Joined

expatsrus is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Husband heading back to UK

My cousin moved to Canada with her husband 4 years ago and now he is leaving her for another woman, back in Scotland. Her and their 3 kids (all British) have established a life in Canada (prior to Canada, the entire family had been moving around for years), Canada is home to them.

How can she keep herself and her kids in Canada? What steps must she take and how can she make sure that he remains financially accountable for his kids even if they end up being in the two different countries?

As far as I'm aware they entered Canada on a work visa which was attained through his workplace. My cousin has a work permit but I think is otherwise listed as a dependent on his visa along with the kids.

We are looking for a lawyer to gain some legal advice but don't have the funds to hire someone to represent her at this time.

Any help or advise would be appreciated,
Thank you!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:46 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband heading back to UK

Originally Posted by expatsrus
My cousin moved to Canada with her husband 4 years ago and now he is leaving her for another woman, back in Scotland. Her and their 3 kids (all British) have established a life in Canada (prior to Canada, the entire family had been moving around for years), Canada is home to them.

How can she keep herself and her kids in Canada? What steps must she take and how can she make sure that he remains financially accountable for his kids even if they end up being in the two different countries?

As far as I'm aware they entered Canada on a work visa which was attained through his workplace. My cousin has a work permit but I think is otherwise listed as a dependent on his visa along with the kids.

We are looking for a lawyer to gain some legal advice but don't have the funds to hire someone to represent her at this time.

Thank you!
She has many different issues to deal with, she should get a lawyer. There is the Lawyer Referral service, $25 for 30 minutes. This link is to the BC one which outlines the program
http://www.cba.org/BC/Initiatives/ma..._referral.aspx

Canadian Bar Association provincial branches. They should be able to help with the program in other provinces.
http://www.cba.org/CBA/branches/main/

Not all lawyers subscribe to the referral service, call the CBA first and they can give you a name.

Also check out the legal aid society in the province in which she resides.
This web site lists each provinces Legal Aid Society.
http://www.justice.gc.ca/en/ps/pb/arr/legal_aid.html

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Sep 3rd 2007 at 8:54 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:03 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Get a hold of a Woman's Crisis Centre, they should be able to steer you to low cost Legal help.

Time is your enemy.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:23 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatsrus

Thank you!
She may also have a jurisdiction issue as her children are British Citizens and are not currently Permanent Residents of Canada or holding Canadian Citizenship. If she needs a lawyer in the UK, she may qualify for Legal Aid there as well.
Legal Services Commission
http://www.legalservices.gov.uk/

Talk to a lawyer here as a matter of urgency. Contact the CBA, tell them the issue and they should be able to direct her to a lawyer who deals with those specific issues, especially with a jurisdiction issue.

We had to have a lawyer in the UK to deal with jurisdiction, went through 5 before we found a good one. If you need a number send a PM.