Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Husband has TWP and family question

Husband has TWP and family question

Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Magawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Husband has TWP and family question

hi

My husband has a TWP. Me and the kids will fly out in the next month, but I'm not sure what to expect when I arrive at the airport. I will be on my own with the children. What documents will I need at port of entry? and what visa do I apply for ? What visa do I apply for, for the children?

Thanks
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband has TWP and family question

Originally Posted by Magawish
hi

My husband has a TWP. Me and the kids will fly out in the next month, but I'm not sure what to expect when I arrive at the airport. I will be on my own with the children. What documents will I need at port of entry? and what visa do I apply for ? What visa do I apply for, for the children?

Thanks
What is your citizenship? What is your husbands occupation and do you know which skill level he falls into if thinking of getting a spousal open work permit.
If you are UK citizens on UK passports and have a copy of your husbands work permit you will just show that to CBSA and they should issue you with visitor records.
You don't apply for visas when entering Canada.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Magawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I'm British. My husband has a Gas Fitter TWP and has a 2 yr contract. I would like to be able to work also after we settle. I'm a qualified Teaching Assistant here in the UK.

Thanks
Old Jul 24th 2015, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I'm British. My husband has a Gas Fitter TWP and has a 2 yr contract. I would like to be able to work also after we settle. I'm a qualified Teaching Assistant here in the UK.

Thanks
Your husbands NOC code should fall within skill level B in major group 72 which enables you to get a spousal open work permit. You will need a copy of his work permit and pay $155 for the work permit and $100 open work permit compliance fee. If working directly with children you will also need to have a medical exam.
Medical exam requirements for temporary residents (visitors, students and workers)

Children will either be issued their own visitor records or put on which ever document they issue to you. make sure all passports are valid for the duration of your husbands work permit.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info and I shall take a look at the link
Old Jul 24th 2015, 4:34 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
I don't think you will be able to work here as a teaching assistant- it's called an ECA over here and don't think they will recognize your qualification. Maybe something to research!!
Old Jul 24th 2015, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you couldn't get a job as a TA elementary schools my kids have been to frequently appeal to parents to work as paid lunchtime supervisors. I know it wouldn't be many hours, but it would at least be a start? School bus companies seem equally keen to get drivers, if you could deal with that. Good luck.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

I used to work as a dinner lady many moons ago , and part time work to fit around the kids would be ideal.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:22 am
Just Joined

UPSY is an unknown quantity at this point

My open work permit issued last month, states I can not work with children or in health as the first of three conditions, it's not a problem for me, but you may want to check how to get this condition removed before you arrive if working at a school is part of your plan.
Good luck
Old Jul 24th 2015, 11:46 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UPSY
My open work permit issued last month, states I can not work with children or in health as the first of three conditions, it's not a problem for me, but you may want to check how to get this condition removed before you arrive if working at a school is part of your plan.
Good luck
For the op... You need to have an upfront medical to remove those conditions before you land...
Old Jul 24th 2015, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

When we came across the kids needed to apply for study permits at the POE, maybe things have changed since 2006
Old Jul 24th 2015, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with the previous posters, there are restrictions to the "Open" work permit. Also not sure if you can come in advance of the principle applicant and be issued a TWP best check with POE before departing
Old Jul 24th 2015, 6:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
When we came across the kids needed to apply for study permits at the POE, maybe things have changed since 2006
No need for a study permit for K-Gr12, just ask for a visitor record.