Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

Old Jun 7th 2018, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

ryry1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

Hi all,

i'm planning on moving to Canada within the net year when i complete my masters in project management. The issue i'm having is that i have a dependant adult with me that is my mother. she doesn't have any family to care for her or anyone in general to care for her in the UK. My question is does anyone know of any successful cases where a family member has been granted a visa on compassionate grounds. she suffered a brain bleed on the 20th of Jan and needs to live with me for care. How will this effect me and my planned move to Canada

kind regards
Old Jun 7th 2018, 3:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

Originally Posted by ryry1987
Hi all,

i'm planning on moving to Canada within the net year when i complete my masters in project management. The issue i'm having is that i have a dependant adult with me that is my mother. she doesn't have any family to care for her or anyone in general to care for her in the UK. My question is does anyone know of any successful cases where a family member has been granted a visa on compassionate grounds. she suffered a brain bleed on the 20th of Jan and needs to live with me for care. How will this effect me and my planned move to Canada

kind regards
H & C for the most part is where someone is at personal risk in their home country and has to leave, or cannot go back. Lots of people end up with sick relatives and allowing them all into Canada would be an excessive burden. I doubt H & C would be successful, especially as you are not even in Canada. There is nothing stopping you from staying in the UK to look after your mother.

If she came as a visitor with you, how would you pay for her medical care? Insurance, if you could get it would be very expensive. Intensive medical care here can cost hundreds of thousands.

Maybe make plans to stay in the UK.

Last edited by Aviator; Jun 7th 2018 at 3:14 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, this isn't a case for H&C IMO, there's no need for you to move to Canada and it's your choice to do so, so you can do so without your mother or stay in the UK if you do need to care for her.

Might be worth a consultation with a couple of lawyer's, but personally I don't see how that would qualify for H&C.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

I get it, just wanted to make sure. In an ideal world she would be allowed in with me then i can just cover the cost of medical. You.re right there's nothing stopping me going but its not wrong of me to want to move to Canada to start a new life. This as always been the plan straight after my studies and to sponsor my mum but then unfortunately in January this year she had the brain bleed and its obviously thrown a spanner in the works for my plans.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
H & C for the most part is where someone is at personal risk in their home country and has to leave, or cannot go back. Lots of people end up with sick relatives and allowing them all into Canada would be an excessive burden. I doubt H & C would be successful, especially as you are not even in Canada. There is nothing stopping you from staying in the UK to look after your mother.

If she came as a visitor with you, how would you pay for her medical care? Insurance, if you could get it would be very expensive. Intensive medical care here can cost hundreds of thousands.

Maybe make plans to stay in the UK.
i wouldnt just come in with her as a visitor without medical insurance by the way. This is why im trying to find a safe and legal avenue so we can both go there for a fresh start where i can follow my plans and my mum can be covered medically
Old Jun 7th 2018, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I get it, just wanted to make sure. In an ideal world she would be allowed in with me then i can just cover the cost of medical. You.re right there's nothing stopping me going but its not wrong of me to want to move to Canada to start a new life. This as always been the plan straight after my studies and to sponsor my mum but then unfortunately in January this year she had the brain bleed and its obviously thrown a spanner in the works for my plans.
Sadly you are wrong when you said ‘I can just cover the cost of medical’. Even if you were a multi millionaire...the medical bills could bankrupt you. For instance 5 years ago I was taken to the ER at a Toronto hospital for diverticulitis. Upon arrival I was given morphine...x-rays were taken and I was moved into a 2 bed room for 5 days. No other treatment or tests were given. My husband had to pay $30,000+ before I was discharged. Imagine how much several days in ICU, surgery, cancer treatment etc would cost.

If your mum was living in Canada she would no longer be eligible for NHS treatment in the UK.

Even if you became a permanent resident of Canada...your mum couldn’t come over and live with you right away...you would have to sponsor her for perm. residency. Thousands of names go into a ‘lottery’ at the beginning of each year...she may be lucky...she may not...if so you would have to apply again each year. If she was lucky she would then have to pass a medical...that could well be the biggest problem.

Whilst waiting she could come over using the Super Visa...that would probably take about 6 months. She would be a temp. resident and could stay for 2 years...renewable in 2 year chunks for 10 years. Problem is she would not be entitled to healthcare...she would have to show proof of health insurance by a Canadian insurance company. From what you have said that could be very expensive and would only cover emergency care. It would not cover things such as cancer treatment, flu shots, routine tests, rehab care etc.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 7th 2018 at 9:56 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Leaving your mother aside, what visa route would you be going over on? Just that ‘straight after my studies’ sounds as though you’ve not got much work experience?
Old Jun 8th 2018, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sadly you are wrong when you said ‘I can just cover the cost of medical’. Even if you were a multi millionaire...the medical bills could bankrupt you. For instance 5 years ago I was taken to the ER at a Toronto hospital for diverticulitis. Upon arrival I was given morphine...x-rays were taken and I was moved into a 2 bed room for 5 days. No other treatment or tests were given. My husband had to pay $30,000+ before I was discharged. Imagine how much several days in ICU, surgery, cancer treatment etc would cost.

If your mum was living in Canada she would no longer be eligible for NHS treatment in the UK.

Even if you became a permanent resident of Canada...your mum couldn’t come over and live with you right away...you would have to sponsor her for perm. residency. Thousands of names go into a ‘lottery’ at the beginning of each year...she may be lucky...she may not...if so you would have to apply again each year. If she was lucky she would then have to pass a medical...that could well be the biggest problem.

Whilst waiting she could come over using the Super Visa...that would probably take about 6 months. She would be a temp. resident and could stay for 2 years...renewable in 2 year chunks for 10 years. Problem is she would not be entitled to healthcare...she would have to show proof of health insurance by a Canadian insurance company. From what you have said that could be very expensive and would only cover emergency care. It would not cover things such as cancer treatment, flu shots, routine tests, rehab care etc.

yeah thats what i meant when i said in an ideal world i meant me covering the health insurance cost and my mum being able to live in Canada knowing she's covered. I think if i cant find the right insurance or get her over there in the right way where she is covered then i'm going to have to give up on my dream. Obviously people have a lot bigger problems than the one i have but its just kind of sad as everything ive done the last 6 years has been to prepare for the move after my masters
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:29 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

yeah thats what i meant when i said in an ideal world i meant me covering the health insurance cost and my mum being able to live in Canada knowing she's covered. I think if i cant find the right insurance or get her over there in the right way where she is covered then i'm going to have to give up on my dream. Obviously people have a lot bigger problems than the one i have but its just kind of sad as everything ive done the last 6 years has been to prepare for the move after my masters

Being a Mum myself, I'm quite sure your Mum wouldn't want you to give up your dream. You might have to defer it for a little while - or emigrate and take a while to get your ducks in a row to be able to sponsor your Mum. You mention that your Mum had a brain bleed, I hope she is doing ok at the moment... it's scary stuff, I know.. all you can do is take one day at a time and see where life leads you.
Do talk to your Mum about the time it may take before she could potentially come to stay with you in Canada (and look into the potential costs of health insurance) - I'm sure she will want you to go for your dream.. that's what Mums want for their kids, in the main.

Hang in there and don't give up - we never know what's around the corner!

Old Jun 8th 2018, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Leaving your mother aside, what visa route would you be going over on? Just that ‘straight after my studies’ sounds as though you’ve not got much work experience?
The experience class. I have 10 years business management experience. NOC code O
Old Jun 8th 2018, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Being a Mum myself, I'm quite sure your Mum wouldn't want you to give up your dream. You might have to defer it for a little while - or emigrate and take a while to get your ducks in a row to be able to sponsor your Mum. You mention that your Mum had a brain bleed, I hope she is doing ok at the moment... it's scary stuff, I know.. all you can do is take one day at a time and see where life leads you.
Do talk to your Mum about the time it may take before she could potentially come to stay with you in Canada (and look into the potential costs of health insurance) - I'm sure she will want you to go for your dream.. that's what Mums want for their kids, in the main.

Hang in there and don't give up - we never know what's around the corner!

that's really nice of you to say thank you. She only had the bleed in January but it's left her with severe short term memory loss. There is a chance it can improve so maybe i'm a little premature with all this. If she doesn't improve i'm sure i.ll be able to find the right medical cover so that she can come over 3-6 months or maybe longer at a time.