Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How are you constrained by a Skilled Permanent Resident's Visa

Wikiposts

How are you constrained by a Skilled Permanent Resident's Visa

Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

omro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How are you constrained by a Skilled Permanent Resident's Visa

I'm waiting for my Skilled Worker PR Visa to come through. It's based on IT skills. However, how constrained am I by this?

Two examples.

- If I set up a company that isn't related to IT...
- If I was offered a job that isn't IT related...

Am I always going to have to work in the IT field for this visa to be valid or after a certain period of time, can I stay and do whatever the heck I want?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are you constrained by a Skilled Permanent Resident's Visa

Originally Posted by omro
can I stay and do whatever the heck I want?
Yes. Main exception is some government jobs and/or jobs requiring high-level security clearance, until you're a citizen.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:45 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkG
Yes.
..and for as long as you like (as long as you don't go committing crimes and getting deported)
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have your PR, you can do what you like ... you can swap your plans from Vancouver to Nova Scotia, or swap IT for hairdressing. 'Tis up to you. Just keep your nose clean !

(PNP's, Community Streams or various other routes in have their own rules I believe - but a regular Skilled Worker PR is fine as far as I understand it)
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
Once you have your PR, you can do what you like ... you can swap your plans from Vancouver to Nova Scotia, or swap IT for hairdressing. 'Tis up to you. Just keep your nose clean !
LOL, so no one will check to make sure that I'm actually in Canada doing an IT related job at any point?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, so no one will check to make sure that I'm actually in Canada doing an IT related job at any point?
Not if you've got a normal PR visa: a provincial PNP visa may have different restrictions.

You do have to be living in Canada for at least two years out of every five, however, and be able to prove it.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

It's this visa

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

no-my husband has'nt found work in that field (which is why we came with PR) since we came to Canada in 2002!
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, that's kinda scary, what does he do?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's kinda scary, what does he do?
nothing in IT cos he has been out of it so long, he's lost it now. He is a handyman.
Waste of 5 years at University.
So be careful, make sure that you can find work cos things are tough out here.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Good to know, I have had a job offer, but that's in computer related sales. If I take that job, my actually IT Support skills will suffer over time.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

What about setting up a company that isn't IT related if you're in the country on an IT related skilled worker PRV?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 4:03 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

What about setting up a company that isn't IT related if you're in the country on an IT related skilled worker PRV?
Once you have your PR visa you can do whatever you want, or nothing at all ....
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

I'd like to opt for the nothing, but I might go bankrupt
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:59 pm
Heading to toronto or cal

joycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shelley748
nothing in IT cos he has been out of it so long, he's lost it now. He is a handyman.
Waste of 5 years at University.
So be careful, make sure that you can find work cos things are tough out here.
This is very scary So how do you and your family survive?. This is one of my worries, getting job in Canada. I have read in several websites, how people (particularly migrants) are finding it very tough to find jobs in canada. It is very difficult to know who to believe. Some of my friends said there are jobs and others say it has not been easy for them getting the lowest of jobs, even though they are highly skilled (some with degrees from UK, others from US). Is this the situation in all sectors or just IT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.