Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

how will criminal record affect me moving to canada

Wikiposts

how will criminal record affect me moving to canada

Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:51 am
Just Joined

perfection-5712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question how will criminal record affect me moving to canada

For years i have dreamt of moving to canada after finishing my ALevels but when i was 15 i had a run in with the police , and got a final warning for possesion of a class C drug .
In what ways will this affect my moving to canada, i really have no idea and also dont understand the whole concept of not having to declare it after 5 years or something as it was done whilst i was a juvinile. some one please help ????
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how will criminal record affect me moving to canada

If it was only a warning I dont think it matters, plus due to yor age its water under the bridge anyway. You have to be actually convicted of something for it to be a hassle, and even then it can be overcome.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5312E3.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:01 am
Just Joined

god i hope your right
i really dont want this messing up my plans
Old Aug 30th 2007, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - how many years is it now since the offence?

And when you say "warning", did you receive a police caution ?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

As iaink says a warning isn't a necessarily a conviction, although there has been a lot of debate in this forum about whether or not a caution counts as a conviction or not.

As it only costs £10, why not get a police check done and see what turns up? If it doesn't appear then you probably have nothing to worry about.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ann m
Hi - how many years is it now since the offence?

And when you say "warning", did you receive a police caution ?
Young offenders in the UK may receive a reprimand and a final warning, which is different than UK police cautions.

"Police Reprimands and Final Warning are a way to deal with offences committed by young people when the offence is not serious enough to go to court.

If they have committed a first or second minor offence, a system of Reprimands and Final Warnings can be used by the police.

They were introduced, replacing police cautions, to encourage young people to take responsibility for their criminal actions and to keep them from committing further offences.

A young person arrested for a further offence, within two years, will almost always go to court.

The Youth Justice Bored oversees the Youth Justice System for England and Wales. For further information on Police reprimands and final warnings please visit the Youth Justice Board website"

I think what needs to be looked into is how offences committed by youth are dealt with by Canadian immigration, remembering that criminal inadmissability can apply to offences committed, not just convictions. But like I said, when they are dealing with youth offeces, I think there are different considerations.

Kellie
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kellie. I know !

Just wanted to clarify with OP how long ago the incident was - and what he actually 'received' from the police. As Alan2005 says, a police check will clarify the position anyway ...
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:55 am
Just Joined

im a girl by the way , and i recieved a final warning for my first offence , they skipped the reprimand because it was a relativly serious offence , and it will be 3 years scince the final warning when i plan to leave for canada
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:10 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perfection-5712
im a girl by the way , and i recieved a final warning for my first offence , they skipped the reprimand because it was a relativly serious offence , and it will be 3 years scince the final warning when i plan to leave for canada
So you will be 18 or so by then? How will you meet the points requirement? Typically you need a degree or apprenticeship plus 2 years relevant work experience for skilled worker....and a lot of patience as it takes 5 or more years to get through the process?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 6:11 am
Just Joined

you need all that for a gap year in canada ... and if thats the case , then i will convice my dad to apply for residency and then , ill get it automatically
Old Sep 1st 2007, 6:22 am
Stooodent

Chippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really nice

you need all that for a gap year in canada ... and if thats the case , then i will convice my dad to apply for residency and then , ill get it automatically
That sounds a little selfish if you ask me! What if he doesn't want to move to Canada, will you force him?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

then i will convice my dad to apply for residency and then , ill get it automatically

So you'll ask your dad to spend hundreds of pounds on an application that he does not necessarily want - which may still take around 5 years - and put you down as his dependant. And then you want to go to Canada under that? But then you would not be his dependant ?

Sorry - what are we missing here ?