Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How to verify whether the person is PR of Canada?

How to verify whether the person is PR of Canada?

Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:37 pm
Banned

Shpigel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to verify whether the person is PR of Canada?

Dear Friends,
I would like to verify whether particular person is permanent Resident of Canada if I know his exact name (spelling) and date of birth.How is it possible?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:20 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to verify whether the person is PR of Canada?

You can't. Due to privacy laws in Canada government won't provide you with such info.

The only way is to see person's valid PR Card and evidence that s/he already met 2/3 residency obligations within past 5 years or still has time to meet such within 5 years from landing.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You can't. Due to privacy laws in Canada government won't provide you with such info.

The only way is to see person's valid PR Card and evidence that s/he already met 2/3 residency obligations within past 5 years or still has time to meet such within 5 years from landing.
For employment purposes, PR Card is enough as otherwise no PRs would be able to get any jobs ...

Is COPR also acceptable.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:16 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
For employment purposes, PR Card is enough as otherwise no PRs would be able to get any jobs ...

Is COPR also acceptable.
For employment purposes a social insurance number is all you need, which you cannot get without PR. Employers will ask for SIN, I have never come across one or asked to see a PR card. Conversely a PR card and no SIN card, they won't be able to be hired by an employer. Must have SIN to get a job as it identifies the individual to all government agencies.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Mar 2nd 2008 at 3:19 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:42 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario College of teachers want a copy of mine to prove I'm a permanent resident of canada before they'll register me.

Haven't tried yet but don't think it is going to copy very well!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
For employment purposes a social insurance number is all you need, which you cannot get without PR. Employers will ask for SIN, I have never come across one or asked to see a PR card.
Ditto; I was only asked for SIN card and one other form of ID when I started work.

Note, of course, that you can get a SIN without PR, but it will be a temporary one (I think they all start with 9).
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Ontario College of teachers want a copy of mine to prove I'm a permanent resident of canada before they'll register me.

Haven't tried yet but don't think it is going to copy very well!!!
I needed a copy of my PR card for something (can't remember what) so my OH scanned it then printed off the scan it came out a lot cleared than trying to use a photocopier and you can easily read all the tiny details (he may have enlarged it as well).
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:53 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Ditto; I was only asked for SIN card and one other form of ID when I started work.

Note, of course, that you can get a SIN without PR, but it will be a temporary one (I think they all start with 9).
You have to prove legal residency in Canada to get a SIN, this is why employers usually accept the SIN alone.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:20 am
Banned

Shpigel is an unknown quantity at this point

No.The purpose of verification whether the person impersonates to Permanent resident.Is the any option how to inquire it without his consent ?Database of all PRs?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shpigel
No.The purpose of verification whether the person impersonates to Permanent resident.Is the any option how to inquire it without his consent ?Database of all PRs?
Andrew answered this above.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

I am fairly certain that if you have good reason to believe that someone is somehow using fake documentation or representing themselves as a permanent resident when they are not. CIC would be happy to investigate. I would suggest that it is not for you to pursue this yourself.

Cheers
Tom
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For employment purposes a social insurance number is all you need, which you cannot get without PR.
Leaving aside the SINs that begin with 9 (issued to temporary residents), it is true that you cannot get a SIN without being a Canadian citizen or PR.

But having such a SIN card does not prove you are still a Canadian citizen or PR, as the status may subsequently have been lost.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:57 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I said earlier - the only proof you may be able to see is valid PR Card. It looks like this (second from the bottom of page):

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Security features of the Permanent Resident Card include:

- a laser-engraved photograph and signature

- physical characteristics of permanent resident are printed on front of card

- an optical stripe, more advanced than the magnetic stripe used on credit cards, contains details from the Confirmation of Permanent Resident form information from optical stripe is encrypted and only accessible to authorized officials to protect the privacy of the cardholder

Don't accept any other document or copy of as proof.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JAJ
Leaving aside the SINs that begin with 9 (issued to temporary residents), it is true that you cannot get a SIN without being a Canadian citizen or PR.

But having such a SIN card does not prove you are still a Canadian citizen or PR, as the status may subsequently have been lost.
No it does not, however that is not what you said;

Originally Posted by JAJ
PR card is not enough for employment purposes, no one can get a job without a SIN, all bona fide employers will ask for a SIN as it is required for tax purposes. Once you give a SIN, most employers do not ask for further proof of residency status, save perhaps for government.

If there is doubt, perhaps they should, but rarely do.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

PR card is not enough for employment purposes,
Perhaps I meant to say "should be" but point taken on the SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.