Wikiposts

How strict/easy is it ?

Old Jun 4th 2005, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough
Default How strict/easy is it ?

I have been looking at some businesses for sale, which i have found a few that look quite tempting on paper.
My question is, Can you buy a business out right and move over.

a: We both have NO experiance in the business (coffee shop / retail), however we would have to employ locals.
b: My wife has passed the skilled worker test (I didnt)

The area Im looking in is the Kootenay's.

Just not to sure how tricky it is to get in ?
Just a quick sideline question how long does it take from start to finish to get the whole immigration done ?

any help appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 5:53 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How strict/easy is it ?

Hi

Originally Posted by kevinm
I have been looking at some businesses for sale, which i have found a few that look quite tempting on paper.

a: We both have NO experiance in the business (coffee shop / retail), however we would have to employ locals.

Just a quick sideline question how long does it take from start to finish to get the whole immigration done ?

any help appreciated.
I am assuming that you will be applying under the skilled worker category as a coffee shop/retail is unlikely to qualify under the business category. If your wife can qualify as a skilled worker fine and you can pass the medical, background and criminality it is not tricky with a well prepared application. Note well prepared.

For processing times see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...illed-fed.html

PMM
Old Jun 4th 2005, 5:53 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It just doesn't work that way. You can buy a business, but you can't work in it without proper work permit and it is highly unlikely to get one if you are not applying in Business class (even then it is difficult).

And most importantly being an owner of business here doesn't give you any rights to come to Canada - you will have to ask for visa (if you need one) and for admission. You may be admitted for up to 6 months.

If your wife gets enough points then you as her spouse will be included in her application. But remember that points are not everything.

How long? It depends from many factors - class of application, visa post, your background, nationality and countries you resided in and most importantly how well application package is prepared and how conlusively all claims have been proven and how well all possible case specific doubts and follow-up questions officer may have are addressed upfront. All may take as short as 12 months (or in some visa post even less) to over 5 years. You didn't give us any details to allow for narrowing the predictable timeline.

You are welcome to contact me directly for free evaluation of your chances and options.

any help appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

any help appreciated.
Just this piece of advice Kevin, buying a business in a foreign country and having to depend on your "local" personel, especially when you have no business experience might not be "a walk in the park", to say the least.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:07 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

And just to add to it - 99% of those "coffee shop / retail" businesses for sale only look good on paper. Nobody is selling business that makes money, people are selling small businesses that have losses, not profits.

Originally Posted by juliusmaximus
Just this piece of advice Kevin, buying a business in a foreign country and having to depend on your "local" personel, especially when you have no business experience might not be "a walk in the park", to say the least.