Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How to stay in Canada after IEC visa ends?

How to stay in Canada after IEC visa ends?

Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:09 am
Account Closed

blonde0000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to stay in Canada after IEC visa ends?

So, I got my letter of Introduction and I'm heading to Toronto soon. I know this is a very general question but I like to plan ahead, I only qualify for one year IEC visa. If I wanted to stay in Canada what are my options, if any?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to stay in Canada after IEC visa ends?

Originally Posted by blonde0000
So, I got my letter of Introduction and I'm heading to Toronto soon. I know this is a very general question but I like to plan ahead, I only qualify for one year IEC visa. If I wanted to stay in Canada what are my options, if any?
1. Get married to a Canadian
2. Shack up common law with a Canadian
3. Apply for a job using one of the various streams or see if you qualify to apply for PR status via one of the various streams as per this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp
4. Apply to extend your stay as a visitor or extend as a worker as mentioned above. IEC work permits are NOT extendable.
5. Overstay as an illegal (NOT RECOMMENDED).
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:59 am
Account Closed

blonde0000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
1. Get married to a Canadian
2. Shack up common law with a Canadian
3. Apply for a job using one of the various streams or see if you qualify to apply for PR status via one of the various streams as per this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp
4. Apply to extend your stay as a visitor or extend as a worker as mentioned above. IEC work permits are NOT extendable.
5. Overstay as an illegal (NOT RECOMMENDED).
Thank you, I once got married for a visa and it ended up badly, won't be doing that again! I checked the link and after answering some questions it was suggested that I might apply for a working permit. Does it mean that I can apply for a temporary working permit before my IEC expires if I have a written job offer from my employer? How long are they issued for? Would I have to get LMO before applying?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blonde0000
Thank you, I once got married for a visa and it ended up badly, won't be doing that again! I checked the link and after answering some questions it was suggested that I might apply for a working permit. Does it mean that I can apply for a temporary working permit before my IEC expires if I have a written job offer from my employer? How long are they issued for? Would I have to get LMO before applying?
Chances are in your case the employer will have to apply for the LMO.
LMOs can be issued for up to 3 years. You dont apply for it your employer does.
Depending on your skills you might be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class or even PNP.
You need to read each stream fully then see if you qualify then take it from there. Asking generic questions gets you generic answers and you need to research your options as opposed to being spoon fed the answers.