Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How soon do you need to take up your permanent residence?

How soon do you need to take up your permanent residence?

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Rumbledore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How soon do you need to take up your permanent residence?

Hi everyone,

I may be at the point where I very soon gain permanent residence (I'm applying from outside Canada) and I'm trying to better understand what happens next in terms of timescale regarding the actual move to Canada. I would really like to hear both what you know of the regulations and what your own experiences have been.

In particular, could anyone tell me:

1. Is it true that you normally need to travel to Canada and take up permanent residence within a year of passing the medical exam? So if, for example, I had a medical in November 2014 and my permanent residence was granted in March 2015, I would need to go to Canada by November 2015. Is this typically how it works?

2. Is it true that if you miss this window then you lose permanent resident status?

3. If I'm not actually ready to move to Canada within the time frame given, can I instead just travel to Canada within the deadline given by CIC, stay there for a week or so, then return to the UK and then go back and take up residence in Canada say six month later when it might suit me better? Is that allowed? I ask this, as I may not be ready to relocate within the time frame they give me, particularly if it's within 12 months of passing the medical exam.

I would really welcome any guidance you can give me with regard to this.

Rumbledore
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How soon do you need to take up your permanent residence?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Basically the COPR forms will have an expiry date which is usually 12 months from the date of the medical or less if the passport expiry date is before the 12 months. If you don't activate the COPR forms then you won't be a PR. Many activate the COPR forms then return home and move at a later date. Ive seen people fly in on the morning activate their PR status then leave the next day.
Once activated the 5 year period begins and you physically have to be in Canada for 730 days within that 5 year period.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply, former Lancastrian.

So, I wouldn't need to wait around and get a permanent resident card or anything like that. I just need to enter as a permanent resident and then leave?
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rumbledore
Thanks for your reply, former Lancastrian.

So, I wouldn't need to wait around and get a permanent resident card or anything like that. I just need to enter as a permanent resident and then leave?
If you want the PR card then you have 180 days to supply a Canadian address (friend etc) who could then mail it to the UK. No Canadian address then no PR card.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

I don't want the PR card. I just worried you had to get it. So, it's not compulsory then?
Old Dec 4th 2014, 2:45 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth wouldn't you want the PR card?? Have it sent to a friend or family member in CAnada, and have them forward it to you. The PR card is most useful when you're flying, as it's your proof of status in Canada. If you book a one-way flight from the UK to Canada, or a return flight originating in Canada, you will almost always be asked for your PR card by the airline. If you don't have it they can refuse you boarding.

Go to the wiki and search for "landing", there's an article there called "Landing as PR-Canada" which answers all your questions.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Sorry, I don't really mean that I don't want one. I just mean that it's not a big priority for me. I just want to make sure that I can trigger the permanent residence and return to the U.K. without having to stay for a long period of time.

So, just to check: I can fly to Canada, stay for a day or two, then return to the U.K. and ask CIC to mail the card to a friend in Canada. I can then return to Canada six months or a year later to begin residency. Is that all correct?
Old Dec 4th 2014, 3:01 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I don't really mean that I don't want one. I just mean that it's not a big priority for me. I just want to make sure that I can trigger the permanent residence and return to the U.K. without having to stay for a long period of time.

So, just to check: I can fly to Canada, stay for a day or two, then return to the U.K. and ask CIC to mail the card to a friend in Canada. I can then return to Canada six months or a year later to begin residency. Is that all correct?
Yep - read the wiki article on landing. It answers it all there.

Make sure you have your PR card with you when you move permanently if you are flying on a one-way flight. I actually just answered this for someone else in another thread, so read this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11492496

It's pretty much asking the same thing.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Wow, thanks for that. I've read through it and it's really useful.

Just one more question. There are five of us going, do we all need to "land" within one year to activate the permanent residence or is it enough that the principal applicant does so?

So, if I go does that activate everyone's permanent residence or do we all need to go within the year?
Old Dec 4th 2014, 3:19 am
Concierge

Just one more question. There are five of us going, do we all need to "land" within one year to activate the permanent residence or is it enough that the principal applicant does so?

So, if I go does that activate everyone's permanent residence or do we all need to go within the year?
Everyone needs to land and activate PR before the COPR document expires, yes.

You can move whenever you want after PR is activated, you just have to get into Canada and do the activation within one year. Your 5 year clock starts ticking from the time you land, though, NOT from the time you actually move. So if you land on, say, 1 February 2015, then that means you have until 31 January 2020 to accumulate 730 days in Canada. If you move in 2016 or 2017 that should be fine. Later than that and you are pushing it (since holidays count as time outside Canada).
Old Dec 4th 2014, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Ah, so if you moved with just two years left, you wouldn't be able to leave the country even for a brief holiday. I've got it.

Thank you so much for your help, both SchnookoLoly and Former Lancastrian. It was very much needed and is very much appreciated.

Have a wonderful Christmas!
Old Dec 4th 2014, 3:27 am
Concierge

Ah, so if you moved with just two years left, you wouldn't be able to leave the country even for a brief holiday. I've got it.

Thank you so much for your help, both SchnookoLoly and Former Lancastrian. It was very much needed and is very much appreciated.

Have a wonderful Christmas!
Pretty much, yes. Any time out of the country counts against your two-year requirement, which is why it's generally not recommended that people wait until two years before PR expiry to make their move... you never know what life gets in the way... work trips, family emergency, whatever. Give yourself at least a few months of buffer room.

(Worth noting that if you are travelling outside of Canada with your Canadian spouse then that time DOES count towards your PR time.... but only when calculating for PR, it does not apply for the citizenship calculation.)
Old Dec 4th 2014, 5:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As said above, you all need to land within the year. However, as long as the principal applicant lands first, then there's no requirement for you to all land at the same time. It does tell you this in the Wiki article?

There's also a wiki article about residency obligations, so that would be worth a read too.

I'll move this thread to the immi section of the forum now, for future ref please put any visa related questions there, thx.