How to order CAIPS?

Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

water-ruby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to order CAIPS?

I'm in Canada. Please advise on process for ordering CAIPS. Also, should I include a pre-stamped envelope for the results to be sent back to me?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to order CAIPS?

Originally Posted by water-ruby
I'm in Canada. Please advise on process for ordering CAIPS. Also, should I include a pre-stamped envelope for the results to be sent back to me?
I'm not an expert on this, but if I recall, being in Canada is not enough. You must be a Canadian citizen to request CAIPS. So you will have to have a friend or relative who is a Canadian citizen do it for you, and sign the appropriate form to make them your representative. Then, the file will be mailed to them.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. I don't recall where the link is that tells you how to order, and the link for the forms.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Ariel is an unknown quantity at this point

Only a Canadian resident or citizen can order CAIPS on behalf of an applicant for permanent residence.
He/She will need to send a set of documents to:
Public Rights Administration
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Narono Building
360 Laurier Ave., 10th Floor, Section D
Ottawa, Ontario KIA 1L1

The set must contain:
1. A letter by the requesting person, asking fro the CAIPS notes and specifying the file number, name and date of birth of the applicant, and the visa office where the application is filed
2. An Authorization(s) to Disclose Personal Information, signed by the Principal applicant/spouse
3. A copy of the requester's identity document
4. A check for 5$ made to the Receiver General for Canada

Within 4 weeks the requester will be mailed a copy of the CAIPS
I hope this helps

Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:20 am
Just Joined

kenny04 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found this in one of the earlier posts:

CAIPS files are available under two different Acts - Privacy and Access to Info. Under the Privacy Act if you are requesting your own file then you do not have to pay any fees. Privacy Act can NOT be used to access another persons file, you have to pay the fees in that case. For compliance puposes its recommended your status documents (passport, etc) are included

Even visitors are allowed to apply for their CAIPS notes, under the Privacy Act, as long as they are in Canada. You will have to follow the same process described above but mention that you are requesting your own CAIPS notes under the Privacy Act and you dont have to pay a dime.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

i remember few weeks ago when i was thinking about ordering CAIPs i found a website and they were asking for 30 USD. Man , Concerned Canadian Department just charges 5 Canadian Dollars and they are charging 30 US Dollars (37 Canadian Dollars) for sending it to US. Here is the website.
http://www.caipsnotes.com/

Still I believe for those who dont have any relative in Canada it will be a feasible option to go for such websites.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by orazone
i remember few weeks ago when i was thinking about ordering CAIPs i found a website and they were asking for 30 USD. Man , Concerned Canadian Department just charges 5 Canadian Dollars and they are charging 30 US Dollars (37 Canadian Dollars) for sending it to US. Here is the website.
http://www.caipsnotes.com/

Still I believe for those who dont have any relative in Canada it will be a feasible option to go for such websites.
It is a lot more money than CAN $5.00. However, in my case it was worth it. Although I have friends and relatives in Canada, the mail between US and Canada is very slow. My friends and relatives aren't used to doing this, so the chances of the application being wrong and rejected was high.

caipsnotes emailed me a link so I could download the file electronically. Also I applied online and with fax. So it probably saved a couple weeks mailing time each way.

For me, it was worth the $30, just in saved time and reduced chances of error. For others, maybe not.

If I lived in Canada presently, it would probably be different.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

How long did it take them to make electronic file available to you for download??

Originally Posted by MrBosco
It is a lot more money than CAN $5.00. However, in my case it was worth it. Although I have friends and relatives in Canada, the mail between US and Canada is very slow. My friends and relatives aren't used to doing this, so the chances of the application being wrong and rejected was high.

caipsnotes emailed me a link so I could download the file electronically. Also I applied online and with fax. So it probably saved a couple weeks mailing time each way.

For me, it was worth the $30, just in saved time and reduced chances of error. For others, maybe not.

If I lived in Canada presently, it would probably be different.

Last edited by orazone; Oct 16th 2004 at 4:58 am.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by orazone
How long did it take them to make electronic file available to you for download??
sorry for the delay in response--I was out of town.

I think they made the download available pretty much as soon as they received the file from the authorities, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I'm quite certain it was quicker than snail-mailing from them to me, however.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

dimon237 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ariel
Only a Canadian resident or citizen can order CAIPS on behalf of an applicant for permanent residence.
He/She will need to send a set of documents to:
Public Rights Administration
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Narono Building
360 Laurier Ave., 10th Floor, Section D
Ottawa, Ontario KIA 1L1

The set must contain:
1. A letter by the requesting person, asking fro the CAIPS notes and specifying the file number, name and date of birth of the applicant, and the visa office where the application is filed
2. An Authorization(s) to Disclose Personal Information, signed by the Principal applicant/spouse
3. A copy of the requester's identity document
4. A check for 5$ made to the Receiver General for Canada

Within 4 weeks the requester will be mailed a copy of the CAIPS
I hope this helps

That is not true. The only pre-requisite is that you are legally and currently in Canada. If you are out of Canada than only PR or citizen can do that. If request it yourself under Privacy Act, it's free. I have a work permit and live in Canada, I've requested the CAIPS files twice without any money or help of a Canadian PR or citizen. As a matter of fact, while in Ottawa on business, I've visited the norano building and talked to the guy that actually processes these requests and he has confirmed that.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

canseco1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Then, don't you even need to pay for the stamp for returning mail?

Originally Posted by dimon237
That is not true. The only pre-requisite is that you are legally and currently in Canada. If you are out of Canada than only PR or citizen can do that. If request it yourself under Privacy Act, it's free. I have a work permit and live in Canada, I've requested the CAIPS files twice without any money or help of a Canadian PR or citizen. As a matter of fact, while in Ottawa on business, I've visited the norano building and talked to the guy that actually processes these requests and he has confirmed that.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

dimon237 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canseco1
Then, don't you even need to pay for the stamp for returning mail?
Nope, that's their expense. I faxed my request and get everything in 4 weeks

Just make sure you put in bold letters that it's a PRIVACY REQUEST instead of Access to Information and that you are requesting for yourself. It's actually very convenient that way.

Last edited by dimon237; Oct 27th 2004 at 8:02 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

By the way, where can I obtain the Authorization to Disclose Personal Information form? Can I write a letter myself or is there any official document?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by dimon237
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: How to order CAIPS?

Hi canseco

Just download the form from http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/gos-sog/for...i/350-58_e.rtf

Fill it out and mail it to:
Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
Narono Building
360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1
Tel: (613) 946-0953
Fax: (613) 957-6517

or u can also FAX it to the above fax #

Hope this helps... any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.....
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi canseco

Just download the form from http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/gos-sog/for...i/350-58_e.rtf

Narono Building
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks.

Originally Posted by water-ruby
Hi canseco

Narono Building
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.