How to be with my girlfriend?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Phumfeinz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to be with my girlfriend?

Ok, so my girlfriend is in Canada, I'm in the UK. I've been thinking on how best to live with her, be it here or there. I don't care, I just want to be with her.

I'm thinking it will be easier to move to Canada, as she has a child and that creates all kinds of problems.

I've been thinking about how best to go about this, and have an idea or two.

1. I go over there on the BUNAC program, which lets me stay there for a year. In that time, we get married, live together for a year, and at the end of the year-stay I apply for a spousal visa. I am more than willing to move to Canada. Like I said, I just want to be with her.

2. She comes over here on a working holiday visa which is good for two years. At the end of the two years, I either go over there on the BUNAC program to do the same as above, or marry her in her time here, and apply for the Spousal visa. This one is a bit obscure right now though, as we think we would need her childs fathers permission for her to leave the country for so long.

Now, your opinions please. Which seems the most plausible. Anyone have experience doing something like this?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:44 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to be with my girlfriend?

Hi

Originally Posted by Phumfeinz
Ok, so my girlfriend is in Canada, I'm in the UK. I've been thinking on how best to live with her, be it here or there. I don't care, I just want to be with her.

I'm thinking it will be easier to move to Canada, as she has a child and that creates all kinds of problems.

I've been thinking about how best to go about this, and have an idea or two.

1. I go over there on the BUNAC program, which lets me stay there for a year. In that time, we get married, live together for a year, and at the end of the year-stay I apply for a spousal visa. I am more than willing to move to Canada. Like I said, I just want to be with her.

If you marry, you don't have to lived together for a year.

2. She comes over here on a working holiday visa which is good for two years. At the end of the two years, I either go over there on the BUNAC program to do the same as above, or marry her in her time here, and apply for the Spousal visa. This one is a bit obscure right now though, as we think we would need her childs fathers permission for her to leave the country for so long.

Now, your opinions please. Which seems the most plausible. Anyone have experience doing something like this?
Go for No.1
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Myau is an unknown quantity at this point

#1 is more difficult to do, but would probably be your best option. We did #2, WH visa came back from Ottawa in 10 working days as opposed to six weeks for the BUNAC visa.

They also stipulate you have to be resident in the UK while they process the app. And you have to wait until the end of the year until you can apply.

I think you need to get father's written permission regardless of the amount of time the mum wants to take the child out of the country.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:54 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

what ever road you take I wish you all the best of luck
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

you can apply for common-law partner visa (instead of spousal visa - but same forms) where you don't need to be married, just that you have lived together for at leat 1 year.

i would check out the CIC site on this, because I think you can also claim "togetherness" even if living apart, as long as you can prove the legitimacy of your partnership i.e. you haven't got together or got married just to be able to claim a visa. I'm not so sure on this part as it didn't affect us so haven't read up on it particularly.

btw - i'm assuming your girlfriend is canadian (or has PR/citizenship) and not just living in canada on her own visa??
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Phumfeinz is an unknown quantity at this point

She is Canadian, yes. Lived there all her life.