Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How much of the NOC description do you need?

Wikiposts

How much of the NOC description do you need?

Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Waggles wife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much of the NOC description do you need?

We are applying under NOC 3131 for PR.

I read elsewhere on the forum that you need to meet half of the job description, and am now confused as the duties listed below are unlikely to one job role (IMO each bullet point is a separate job). Can anyone clarify how many of the NOC job description you need to prove?

Industrial pharmacists perform some or all of the following duties:
•Participate in basic research for the development of new drugs (I did this as my Post doc)
•Formulate new drug products developed by medical researchers (I do this in my current job)
•Test new drug products for stability and to determine their absorption and elimination patterns ((I do this in my current job)
•Co-ordinate clinical investigations of new drugs (N/A to me)
•Control the quality of drug products during production to ensure that they meet standards of potency, purity, uniformity, stability and safety (minor part of my current role as part of job compliencecomplianceop information materials concerning the uses, properties and risks of particular drug (N/A to me)
•Evaluate labelling, packaging and advertising of drug products(N/A to me)
•Promote pharmaceutical products to health professionals. (N/A to me)

Do they people that asssess the applassess have a knowledge of the profession that you are applying under?

thanks for the help

Susan
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Waggles wife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much of the NOC description do you need?

my ability to sense check my work stopped working last night, so I have rephased the questions

Originally Posted by Waggles wife
We are applying under NOC 3131 for PR.

I read elsewhere on the forum that you need to meet half of the job description, and am now confused as the duties listed below are unlikely to one job role (IMO each bullet point is a separate job). Can anyone clarify how much of the NOC job description you need to prove?

Industrial pharmacists perform some or all of the following duties:
•Participate in basic research for the development of new drugs (I did this as my Post doc)
•Formulate new drug products developed by medical researchers (I do this in my current job)
•Test new drug products for stability and to determine their absorption and elimination patterns ((I do this in my current job)
•Co-ordinate clinical investigations of new drugs (N/A to me)
•Control the quality of drug products during production to ensure that they meet standards of potency, purity, uniformity, stability and safety (minor part of my current role as part of job compliencecomplianceop information materials concerning the uses, properties and risks of particular drug (N/A to me)
•Evaluate labelling, packaging and advertising of drug products(N/A to me)
•Promote pharmaceutical products to health professionals. (N/A to me)

Do they people that asssess the application have a knowledge of the profession that you are applying under?

thanks for the help

Susan
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, you have to do at least half of the 'main duties' listed, plus the opening paragraph must also apply to you. So as there are 7 main duties listed, you would have to do at least 4 or 5 to qualify, and of course have to prove that as part of your application.

Really sorry, but is there no way you do another one or two of those duties? The descriptions are generally pretty good and if 'main duties' don't apply to somebody, it's usually because they're trying to fit themselves in to the wrong NOC code and there is a better one that matches.

Edit: just realised it's NOC 3131, so are you applying under the 'Industrial Pharmacist' bit, or the 'Pharmacist'? You don't have to do the 'main duties' under both, only the majority of one of them.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Unfortunately, you have to do at least half of the 'main duties' listed, plus the opening paragraph must also apply to you. So as there are 7 main duties listed, you would have to do at least 4 or 5 to qualify, and of course have to prove that as part of your application.

Really sorry, but is there no way you do another one or two of those duties? The descriptions are generally pretty good and if 'main duties' don't apply to somebody, it's usually because they're trying to fit themselves in to the wrong NOC code and there is a better one that matches.

Edit: just realised it's NOC 3131, so are you applying under the 'Industrial Pharmacist' bit, or the 'Pharmacist'? You don't have to do the 'main duties' under both, only the majority of one of them.
hmmmm

My wife is applying under the "Industrial Pharmacist" bit. She has almost 4 years experience in the first 3 duties listed on the Industrial Pharmacist list, far more than the minimum 1 year required, and not only a BSc degree in her field, but also a PhD. Pending the results of the IELTS test we estimate we'll have at least 76 points.

If at least 4 or 5 of these are required there would probably be very few applicants under this Industrial Pharmacist category, at least in the UK, since each "duty" listed is almost a separate role and would be done by a separate person in most Pharmaceutal companies.

We had 2 immigration lawyers view my wife's CV and both confirmed that she would be eligible under the FSW1 for 3131. And yes ofc I realise that immigration lawyers are not Visa officers!

Since the actual wording says "some of the duties" and it does not say "at least half of the duties" is there no discretion used by the Visa officer reviewing the application?

I think we're too far down this road to back out now! We are less than 1 week away from submitting full documentation. I would hope that the Visa officer would take the full strength of the application into account because this "at least" half rule seems to be very global across all NOCs and doesn't seem to take into account how roles would work in the individual industry.

And well, just have to hope for the best now.

Wayne.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

•Control the quality of drug products during production to ensure that they meet standards of potency, purity, uniformity, stability and safety (minor part of my current role as part of job compliencecomplianceop information materials concerning the uses, properties and risks of particular drug

Just noticed that we could possibly make 4 of the main duties with the final one being a minor part of her current role.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
Since the actual wording says "some of the duties" and it does not say "at least half of the duties" is there no discretion used by the Visa officer reviewing the application?
If you look in the Operational Manual, it does say that it must be 'a substantial' amount of the main duties, which is deemed to be half or more. It may be worth you having a read of it yourself, so that you can see under what criteria the immigration officer will be assessing her application. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op06-eng.pdf

Hope that helps.