Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How many of you have gone on TWP and become PRs while out there?

Wikiposts

How many of you have gone on TWP and become PRs while out there?

Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many of you have gone on TWP and become PRs while out there?

Hey everyone

Just wondered how many of you have gone over on TWPs and managed to get PR and how long it takes to attain your PR once you are over there?

My hubby is still in process of getting job offer and doesn't seem worried at all about going in on TWP whereas me the worrier is worried we won't get PR and will end up coming home - implications for son's education is what worries me - nothing else really. If it were just the two of us I would be fine about it.

Do you have to have the regular medical if you go over on TWP?

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many of you have gone on TWP and become PRs while out there?

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Just wondered how many of you have gone over on TWPs and managed to get PR and how long it takes to attain your PR once you are over there?
Figure it'll take about a year from applying, it will vary depending on the visa route you use, but that's usually about right.

Do you have to have the regular medical if you go over on TWP?
It will depend on the job, most people don't, but if he will be working in healthcare, caring, or with children, then he will need one.

Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You are in the hot seat again - just call me Magnus!

Do I need one if he goes in on the TWP?

We both need one if we go for PR and get it before we leave England tho right??

How long do TWP's last for generally?

Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:33 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Me for one...

but it was a long while ago now so my timeline wouldnt help even if I could remember what it was...
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

So in all of your experience out there - do most people who go over on TWPs get PR?

My idea of a complete nightmare would be moving my life and son over there and having to come back when we don't want to!!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You are in the hot seat again - just call me Magnus!
So you've started.......and you'll finish?

Do I need one if he goes in on the TWP?
Medical I assume you mean? If he needs a medical for the TWP, then no, you wouldn't have to have one. You will need one for PR though, as will your son.

We both need one if we go for PR and get it before we leave England tho right??
Yes, you both need one, but no don't get it before you leave England! You need to await medical requests from CIC (at the end of the PR process) before you get them done, so you'll have them done in Canada (cheaper!).

TWP will be valid for anywhere between one year and four years, again it depends.

Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough

Good question, this is the root I am looking at taking! It's a big gamble but I am hoping it will pay off. Any more info?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:38 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So in all of your experience out there - do most people who go over on TWPs get PR?

My idea of a complete nightmare would be moving my life and son over there and having to come back when we don't want to!!
Thats always the risk with a TWP. Jobs sometimes evaporate, and then you are left in a predicamemnt. Figuring out if you can apply for PR on the basis of the job is step one, then apply ASAP so at least you have started to pack a parachute if the worst should happen. I was laid off 6 months after my PR came though... just as well I had it.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Plenty of people on here who have gone over on a TWP and then got PR - but unfortunately we've also seen quite a few have to return to the UK after being made redundant on a TWP. The majority have no problems though, but you just need to bear in mind that your husband will be tied to his employer and cannot work for anybody else without a new LMO/TWP.

One workaround that we've seen in the past is that as his spouse, you may be entitled to a Spousal Open Work Permit, and bizarrely even if he loses his job, you can keep working on a SOWP, so often that's enough to keep you going until he found something new.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I can stop panicking about getting to the gym every day then. Thanks - that's a right weight off!!!! (which it was literally!)

I've started so I'll finish.... maybe you should actually go on the show - speciality topic - Emigrating to Canada!

Thanks for all your help!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I've started so I'll finish.... maybe you should actually go on the show - speciality topic - Emigrating to Canada!
There's loads I don't know though - if you want to see real expertise in action, check out our regular pro PMM's posts!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Someone that knows more than you?

Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough

So this is a pretty straight forward route to take?
I have lived in Canada before as a child from the age of 10-14 and returned to England. My parents didn't get our visas sorted before returning home and now I want to go back

My partner is a police officer here which is what she would look at doing in Canada once we get PR

I am hoping a family friend can sort a job for me on a TWP so would it be easier for me to get PR in Canada?
Would be living around Toronto area
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

We came to Canada on TWP's (Aug 2009) me being the principal applicant. After 18 months my job was made permanent and I was eligable to apply for PR through AINP. This is now in process, see our timeline in the signature.
We have just received two year extensions to our TWP's. The time for that to come through was 4 months. I tried the on-line application, but only got so far when the site failed me!!!!

I can and still do have moments of negativity when I think we won't get this and we will have to go back to the UK. But that I believe is normal.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mad Jockette; Jul 14th 2011 at 7:07 am. Reason: date correction
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:37 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Jord w
So this is a pretty straight forward route to take?
I have lived in Canada before as a child from the age of 10-14 and returned to England. My parents didn't get our visas sorted before returning home and now I want to go back

My partner is a police officer here which is what she would look at doing in Canada once we get PR

I am hoping a family friend can sort a job for me on a TWP so would it be easier for me to get PR in Canada?
Would be living around Toronto area
Sorry to be a ballon popper but:

Living here before as a kid doesnt count for much

I havent checke, but I dont think police officer is on the CIC listand AFAIK non one is recruiting offshore anymore, so that may not be much help

A job offer from friend would have to meet standard labour market opinion examination, and would have to be advertised. So it may not fly with the authorities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.