Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

HOW MANY LETTERS FROM FRIENDS and/or FAMILY ??

HOW MANY LETTERS FROM FRIENDS and/or FAMILY ??

Old Dec 9th 2005, 4:48 am
Just Joined

solusso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HOW MANY LETTERS FROM FRIENDS and/or FAMILY ??

i have almost ten aknowledge letters (friends , my work supervisor, family, Building superintendent, etc..) how many letters are enough to sendwith my common-law application? should i certified and/or oath each one? thanks!!
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:09 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HOW MANY LETTERS FROM FRIENDS and/or FAMILY ??

Letters without notarized signature or not presented in the form of ststutory declarations from friends and family have almost no value. Make sure that those who are able to provide you with statutory declarations will do so - at least one immediate family member on sponsor side (parent is the best) should give you statutory declaration. Friends as well as immediate relatives of sponsored partner who can't provide statutory declarations should at least sign their letters before notary and have their signatures (not the content) notarized. Letters from businesses should be on company's letterhead and include business card or other contact info of the signatory.

10 letters should be enough, providing that you follow the above.

Originally Posted by solusso
i have almost ten aknowledge letters (friends , my work supervisor, family, Building superintendent, etc..) how many letters are enough to sendwith my common-law application? should i certified and/or oath each one? thanks!!
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

vietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the rough

We sent in two Statutory Declarations from friends, and 2 letters from family not certified. That's all we could do in our situation. Just make sure you have a min of 2 signed in front of a commissioner of oath. Also, fill in the the Declaration of Common-law form in front of a commissioner of Oath as prove of relationship. I know in the guide that it says only to fill in this form when you have a co-signer which is not the case when filling out a common-law application:; however, it was suggested to me by Mr Miller to fill in this form for prove of relationship.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by solusso
Old Dec 10th 2005, 1:35 am
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Dear Mr. Miller,

Hello, I am in a similar situation! I've just got my parents in Canada to write a letter on our behalf for us, but now I see that you mention it should be notarised. Do my parents need to go to their lawyer for this? (They live in Ontario)

We are also in the process of filling in our forms (me = sponsor, boyfriend = Dutch) and we are stuck on our Statutory Declaration. Currently we live in Amsterdam and therefore need to go through the offices in Berlin - however, we have contacted them regarding how to do this but no one has yet responded or called back and I certainly don't want to leave this last minute.
I have heard from others that this can be done through the Embassy, however the one in Holland does not deal with Immigration.

Do you have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated as I know you are busy.

Kind regards,

Leah (aka Fluffy Boogie)
Old Dec 10th 2005, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

vietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the rough

We had trouble finding a commissioner of oath in Vietnam, however, we were finally able to get it done at the Canadian embassy. The embassy in Vietnam also doesn't deal with immigration; however, they still had someone that was able to signs our declrations as a commissioner of oath. You will need to find out if there is someone at your Canadian embassy that can do the same.
Originally Posted by Fluffy Boogie
Dear Mr. Miller,

We are also in the process of filling in our forms (me = sponsor, boyfriend = Dutch) and we are stuck on our Statutory Declaration. Currently we live in Amsterdam and therefore need to go through the offices in Berlin - however, we have contacted them regarding how to do this but no one has yet responded or called back and I certainly don't want to leave this last minute.
I have heard from others that this can be done through the Embassy, however the one in Holland does not deal with Immigration.

Do you have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated as I know you are busy.

Kind regards,

Leah (aka Fluffy Boogie)
Old Dec 10th 2005, 4:29 am

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by vietcan
We had trouble finding a commissioner of oath in Vietnam, however, we were finally able to get it done at the Canadian embassy. The embassy in Vietnam also doesn't deal with immigration; however, they still had someone that was able to signs our declrations as a commissioner of oath. You will need to find out if there is someone at your Canadian embassy that can do the same.
Hi, thanks again for your advice. I will try again - the Embassy here wasn't very helpful when I told them I was looking for a Commissioner - perhaps next time I won't utter the word IMMIGRATION when I ring them again! And just ask for a Commissioner of Oaths - will keep you updated... hopefully!
Fluffy
Old Dec 10th 2005, 4:47 am
Tab
Forum Regular

Tab is on a distinguished road

Also, try alternate terms. Commissioner of oaths may be confusing. Ask them if they have a Canadian notary, or if they have someone who can certify or acknowledge a document. These term vary from country to country and even from region to region. The person just may not be familiar with what you are asking for.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tab
Also, try alternate terms. Commissioner of oaths may be confusing. Ask them if they have a Canadian notary, or if they have someone who can certify or acknowledge a document. These term vary from country to country and even from region to region. The person just may not be familiar with what you are asking for.
Thanks I will give that a go, too!
Fluffy
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Tab
So I rang the embassy in the Hague and of course THIS time don't mention IMMIGRATION whatsoever and behold - there IS a Commisioner of Oaths! Yippie-do-dah! So, will go during Holiday season - will keep yall updated, ya hear?!

Fluffy