Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How many education points would you give me??

Wikiposts

How many education points would you give me??

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many education points would you give me??

I am curious to see how my education points will be assessed....and wonder if any of you could hazard an educated guess.....

I can't provide any secondary school evidence because I was home-educated, I attended schools here and there along with my two brothers but not for very long.

We lived on a sailing boat and were cruising through the Mediterranean, then onto the Caribbean across the Atlantic for my early years, so Mum and Dad taught us the basics.

Later on I passed the 11+ but cannot evidence this, then studied via a correspondence course for a couple of years. Again I can't evidence this, (though my mother was a writer for yachting magazines and has mentioned our early education in a couple of her articles just briefly).

I then attended evening classes for several 'O' levels over in Grenada in the Caribbean back in the '70's, then there was a revolution and the school was taken over by the military and I didn't get to take my exams. I could print off details of the revolution off the internet but that doesn't prove that I was indeed studying at the time.

We left Grenada with our lives in a suitcase and the contents didn't include any proof of any education!!!

Since then I have been in the police service for 28 years, for which I had to sit an entrance exam because of my lack of proof of education, and I'm hoping that CIC will accept that the two year probationary period is equivalent to an apprenticeship. I have copied all my early exam results and monthly reports to evidence that I was continuously assessed during those first two years and could have been sacked at any point for not making the required standard.

I have also just obtained an 'AS' level in French, having taken the GCSE last year....so maybe CIC will accept that I am up to Secondary school equivalent.....

So I am going to put 12 yrs + 2 = 14 yrs, so a one year apprenticeship and 13 years of education =12 points......

I am also going to include a written explanation for lack of proof of education and a letter justifying the police probationary period equating to an apprenticeship.

What do you think?

How many points would YOU award me if you were an IO
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Martin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant future
Default Re: How many education points would you give me??

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
I am curious to see how my education points will be assessed....and wonder if any of you could hazard an educated guess.....

I can't provide any secondary school evidence because I was home-educated, I attended schools here and there along with my two brothers but not for very long.

We lived on a sailing boat and were cruising through the Mediterranean, then onto the Caribbean across the Atlantic for my early years, so Mum and Dad taught us the basics.

Later on I passed the 11+ but cannot evidence this, then studied via a correspondence course for a couple of years. Again I can't evidence this, (though my mother was a writer for yachting magazines and has mentioned our early education in a couple of her articles just briefly).

I then attended evening classes for several 'O' levels over in Grenada in the Caribbean back in the '70's, then there was a revolution and the school was taken over by the military and I didn't get to take my exams. I could print off details of the revolution off the internet but that doesn't prove that I was indeed studying at the time.

We left Grenada with our lives in a suitcase and the contents didn't include any proof of any education!!!

Since then I have been in the police service for 28 years, for which I had to sit an entrance exam because of my lack of proof of education, and I'm hoping that CIC will accept that the two year probationary period is equivalent to an apprenticeship. I have copied all my early exam results and monthly reports to evidence that I was continuously assessed during those first two years and could have been sacked at any point for not making the required standard.

I have also just obtained an 'AS' level in French, having taken the GCSE last year....so maybe CIC will accept that I am up to Secondary school equivalent.....

So I am going to put 12 yrs + 2 = 14 yrs, so a one year apprenticeship and 13 years of education =12 points......

I am also going to include a written explanation for lack of proof of education and a letter justifying the police probationary period equating to an apprenticeship.

What do you think?

How many points would YOU award me if you were an IO

Robin

Your background is unusual and I do not think you will know where you stand until CIC assesses you. However, I would think that your profession and the fact that you have spent your whole career in the force should leave you well placed.

I hope it works out for you.

Cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I think that your 2 years probation period is the equivalent to an apprenticeship! (almost certainly)
Do you not have evidence of education from this period of probation, did you not have to sit an english exam for the UK police force?
You can sit them on line up to level two most local councils have a system in place and they can be done on line. This would not prove you have been in education but can be used to prove that you are at that level?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
I think that your 2 years probation period is the equivalent to an apprenticeship! (almost certainly)
Do you not have evidence of education from this period of probation, did you not have to sit an english exam for the UK police force?
You can sit them on line up to level two most local councils have a system in place and they can be done on line. This would not prove you have been in education but can be used to prove that you are at that level?
Thanks for the input dinger.

I did have to sit entrance exams...but having looked at my personnel file I can't find any papers relating to them. Maybe the fact that I was successful in getting in to the police is sufficient.

I do have evidence of how I progressed through my probation to confirmation at 2 years, including old exam marks.

I am hoping that by reading my explanations, they will be able to assess my level of written communication.....

I wonder where I would find out about these exams you mention......Are they free?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Try this:

http://www.learndirect.co.uk/
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I figure 28 years in the police service is enough education for anybody

Good luck with it all Robin - the probation should certainly count as an apprenticeship - I know it did for other. Plus any courses you have done during your service can be added up too. I can put you in touch with someone who did this aswell if necessary