Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How to maintain PR status while abroad?

How to maintain PR status while abroad?

Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

nvarma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to maintain PR status while abroad?

Hello,

I have recently been approved for Canadian PR but haven't entered Canada. I need to enter Canada by May 2005. My situation is that I'm currently in the UK and wish to remain in the UK for the next 2 years before moving to Canada and settling there.

I'm looking for advice about the different ways to maintain PR status while abroad.

1. I'm thinking of entering Canada next May, applying for the PR card and moving back to the UK. Do I need to wait in Canada for my PR card to arrive before I leave? What would be the repurcussions if I left before the card arrives?

2. I've read somewhere that if you own a real-estate property in Canada, you can maintain your PR status. Is it true?

3. Any other pointers will be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Nitesh
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:17 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to maintain PR status while abroad?

Hi

Originally Posted by nvarma
Hello,

I have recently been approved for Canadian PR but haven't entered Canada. I need to enter Canada by May 2005. My situation is that I'm currently in the UK and wish to remain in the UK for the next 2 years before moving to Canada and settling there.

I'm looking for advice about the different ways to maintain PR status while abroad.

1. I'm thinking of entering Canada next May, applying for the PR card and moving back to the UK. Do I need to wait in Canada for my PR card to arrive before I leave? What would be the repurcussions if I left before the card arrives?

2. I've read somewhere that if you own a real-estate property in Canada, you can maintain your PR status. Is it true?

Best regards,

Nitesh
Once you land, you give the address of a friend or relative in Canada who can mail you the PR card once it arrives. The only problem is if the picture turns out poorly, you will have to attend an Immigration office in Canada for a new one.

To maintain your status you have to reside in Canada for 2years out of every 5. No, real estate doesn't help.

PMM
Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
To maintain your status you have to reside in Canada for 2years out of every 5. No, real estate doesn't help.
Even if you have the PR Card, that does not exempt you from the residence obligation.

As for planning to wait right up until the deadline to land, that's not smart, for obvious reasons.

Jeremy
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:30 am
Just Joined

joe.bloggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: How to maintain PR status while abroad?

I have had a similar experence ..

I would recomend staying until the PR card is issued and SIN card etc...

and be very carefully, must ensure that each stay outside canada is LESS than 6 months ... otherwise they WILL refuse re-entry ....

must also keep other proof of resdence requirments in canda .. ie property .. family .. etc..

I get hassled every time at the airport apon re-entering canada , even with my stay being less than 4/5months ..
joe

Originally Posted by nvarma
Hello,

Best regards,

Nitesh
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

vetal is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe there is no such restriction as 181 days anymore. Only thing is you have to be in canada for 2 out of 5 years.

Originally Posted by joe.bloggs
I have had a similar experence ..

I would recomend staying until the PR card is issued and SIN card etc...

and be very carefully, must ensure that each stay outside canada is LESS than 6 months ... otherwise they WILL refuse re-entry ....

must also keep other proof of resdence requirments in canda .. ie property .. family .. etc..

I get hassled every time at the airport apon re-entering canada , even with my stay being less than 4/5months ..
joe
Old Nov 12th 2004, 4:29 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: How to maintain PR status while abroad?

I can assure you that was not the case 4 months ago.. as i said i got pulled over at the airport and checked all my entry & exit dates and had to explain my travel reasons .. what a pain in the neck... spent nearly a hour waiting & checking details .... :scared:

i checked the gov web site and 2 requirments to keep PR
1) max stay outside canada 6months
2) min 2years physical residance out of 5 years
along with resedence ties to canda

Can any of the experts on this web site please confirm this ?

Originally Posted by vetal
I believe there is no such restriction as 181 days anymore. Only thing is you have to be in canada for 2 out of 5 years.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 5:22 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you provide link to the "gov web site" page where you found such requirement?

Law is clear and requires PR to be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days in every 5 years period, nothing more. But it doesn't mean that returning PR after long absence won't be subject to (sometimes detailed) questioning about his or her absences.

I can assure you that was not the case 4 months ago.. as i said i got pulled over at the airport and checked all my entry & exit dates and had to explain my travel reasons .. what a pain in the neck... spent nearly a hour waiting & checking details .... :scared:

Old Nov 12th 2004, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

ok .. will try to track down the link to where i read this..
(Umm ..thats what the immigration officer told me and that what I remember reading on the web after my return )

Question :
If for some reason I miss/fail to keep the 730 days out of 5 years , will my dependants , who have been in canda since landed , be effected ? ... ie will they still be able to apply for citizenship after they have met the 1080 days resdence requirements ?

thanks Andrew in advance (or anyone else who can answer the Q )

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Could you provide link to the "gov web site" page where you found such requirement?

Law is clear and requires PR to be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days in every 5 years period, nothing more. But it doesn't mean that returning PR after long absence won't be subject to (sometimes detailed) questioning about his or her absences.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 5:08 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

(Umm ..thats what the immigration officer told me and that what I remember reading on the web after my return )

Question :
If for some reason I miss/fail to keep the 730 days out of 5 years , will my dependants , who have been in canda since landed , be effected ? ... ie will they still be able to apply for citizenship after they have met the 1080 days resdence requirements ?

thanks Andrew in advance (or anyone else who can answer the Q )
Your dependents won't be effected, but you sure will. If you fail to maintain your PR, your will be refused admission to Canada and your spouse will be forced to sponsor you.

PMM
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Subj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi joe,

Could you please elaborate on the information you provided - have you been specifically asked to provide an evidence that you stayed outside Canada for less than 6 MONTHS ? Or is it a conclusion you made from the fact that you were pulled over and questioned ? Because, apart from the interpretation of the 2 out of 5 rule prevalent on the forum, immigration officials requiring you to stay outside of Canada for less than 6 months would be in contradiction with the following official example (last Item):

http://www.beijing.gc.ca/beijing/en/...turn/index.htm

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old Nov 15th 2004, 12:37 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Yes, as Subj said it would be very important, as it does not correspond with anything I have heard or read until now.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:00 am
Just Joined

this happned at montreal in mid june ..
After passport checks , i was asked to queue at a diffrent immigration queue , then I was questioned as to my current trip abroad & any previous trips abroad (I ONLY travel to /from london UK ..ie to visit my parents & family and to sell my house etc.. ) with a one to one in a cubicle with the officer..

Had to supply him departue & return dates etc.. ( i could see he had some trip deatils on the computer ... he crossed checked them with my passport
i am am sure he calucalted each of my trips with one being 2 weeks short of 6 months .... which interested him.. and was warned about and to be careful that if i over-stayed over 6 months.. that a immigration officer could/would (am not 100% sure which of the 2 he said ) treat this as abandoning Candian resdence ..

i argued with him that I have all my dependants live here .. pay local tax's .. own a house etc.. but he repeated the warning again ..

hope this gives a better insight ..

joe

Originally Posted by mhhp
Yes, as Subj said it would be very important, as it does not correspond with anything I have heard or read until now.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:59 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

this happned at montreal in mid june ..
After passport checks , i was asked to queue at a diffrent immigration queue , then I was questioned as to my current trip abroad & any previous trips abroad (I ONLY travel to /from london UK ..ie to visit my parents & family and to sell my house etc.. ) with a one to one in a cubicle with the officer..

Had to supply him departue & return dates etc.. ( i could see he had some trip deatils on the computer ... he crossed checked them with my passport
i am am sure he calucalted each of my trips with one being 2 weeks short of 6 months .... which interested him.. and was warned about and to be careful that if i over-stayed over 6 months.. that a immigration officer could/would (am not 100% sure which of the 2 he said ) treat this as abandoning Candian resdence ..

i argued with him that I have all my dependants live here .. pay local tax's .. own a house etc.. but he repeated the warning again ..

hope this gives a better insight ..

joe
Could one of the experts comment on this, it does not seem to make any sense. Or is this just a rogue officer???
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhhp
Could one of the experts comment on this, it does not seem to make any sense. Or is this just a rogue officer???
Without knowing both sides of the story it is hard to tell. It could just be an officer who doesn't understand the law - usually speaking to a supervisor/manager resolves issues.

The law is very clear - 2 years in 5, if you meet that and can *prove* it then there should be no risk to PR.

Jeremy