Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long will my work permit take??

How long will my work permit take??

Old May 11th 2011, 2:49 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long will my work permit take??

Originally Posted by MRC23
I think it's a good idea that you applied for a TWP at the CHC in London instead of just applying for one at the port of entry. The nature of your volunteer work (summer camp) might actually require you to do a medical examination - not sure.

I also applied for a TWP about three weeks ago, still nothing from the CHC!
Hmmmm, I didn't think of that, actually but you may be right.
I am surprised that the employer didn't mention that in their offer, though.
If a medical is required, along with the wait of 8 weeks for them to get the TWP letter of approval done, I cannot see the OP getting out to Canada before the holidays are nearly half finished.
Old May 11th 2011, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

NornIronLad is an unknown quantity at this point

serious!! is there no way of canceling applications and i can just just go over as if im going on holiday cause thats all im really doing and helping out in a camop part time but not mention that??? cause i need to go pleasee can you just cancel and get your passport back?
Old May 11th 2011, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NornIronLad

serious!! is there no way of canceling applications and i can just just go over as if im going on holiday cause thats all im really doing and helping out in a camop part time but not mention that??? cause i need to go pleasee can you just cancel and get your passport back?
1. You need a Temporary Work Permit to do what you wish to do.
2. If you are going to be working with children, you will need a medical as well.
3. If you do need a medical as well, you cannot apply for your TWP at the airport, and it must be done via a visa office, so will take at least 3 months all in.
4. As has been pointed out, you may also need a Labour Market Opinion, unless your intended work falls in to a narrowly defined category. This will add another few weeks or months to the process.

Hopefully that's made it clear for you. You certainly can't just turn up and do the job you have been offered without a TWP - that would be working illegally, and in any event, the immigration officer will have a record of your TWP application so he'll be very suspicious if you turn up and pretend to just be on a holiday!
Old May 12th 2011, 1:29 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
1. You need a Temporary Work Permit to do what you wish to do.
2. If you are going to be working with children, you will need a medical as well.
3. If you do need a medical as well, you cannot apply for your TWP at the airport, and it must be done via a visa office, so will take at least 3 months all in.
4. As has been pointed out, you may also need a Labour Market Opinion, unless your intended work falls in to a narrowly defined category. This will add another few weeks or months to the process.

Hopefully that's made it clear for you. You certainly can't just turn up and do the job you have been offered without a TWP - that would be working illegally, and in any event, the immigration officer will have a record of your TWP application so he'll be very suspicious if you turn up and pretend to just be on a holiday!
1. No, Camp Counselors don't require a medical if they are from a non-designated country, which the UK is one. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf Sec. 13.2

2. Counsellors at day or residential camps require LMOs for work permits. However, camp counsellors who are working in a volunteer capacity may be issued work permits pursuant to R205(d), C50 provide guidelines. C50 work permits are fee exempt. Individuals do not require a high school diploma.
The NOC Code is 5254.

3. The organization must meet the requirements in C50 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf Sec. 5.39
Old May 12th 2011, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. No, Camp Counselors don't require a medical if they are from a non-designated country, which the UK is one. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf Sec. 13.2

2. Counsellors at day or residential camps require LMOs for work permits. However, camp counsellors who are working in a volunteer capacity may be issued work permits pursuant to R205(d), C50 provide guidelines. C50 work permits are fee exempt. Individuals do not require a high school diploma.
The NOC Code is 5254.

3. The organization must meet the requirements in C50 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf Sec. 5.39
Thanks very much! giving me abita hope! you think ill get it done by the end of June??
Old May 12th 2011, 8:55 am
Just Joined

MRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really nice

that's positive news! thanks for clarifying, PMM. NornIronLad, you said you submitted it last Friday, so that should be May 6th. According to the website, the current processing time at the London CHC takes about 8-10 weeks on average, which means that the 8th week will be on July 1. So, yes, fingers crossed, you should be able to get it by the end of June
Old May 12th 2011, 11:08 am
Just Joined

thats good to hear thank god! lol hope so!

although I havent got an LMO number or anything like that so hopfully its ok anyway! but as you said i shouldny t need one caus eits volunteering!