How long for visa?

Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

StaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant future
Default How long for visa?

Hi, we live in London and my husband has been offered a job in Toronto. They've carried out a LMO which was positive and are waiting for written confirmation (they received verbal confirmation). They wrote to my husband with an informal job offer and will be discussing it further with him today.

My question is, once we apply for the visa with a positive LMO and a job offer, how long should we expect it to take to secure a work permit/visa?

Oh, and am I being naive but I'm assuming that we should be able to get a work permit on the basis of having a positive LMO and a job offer? I'm also assuming that my husband getting a work permit this way will also mean that myself and our daughter will be able to join him?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by StaceyUK; Jan 27th 2010 at 9:41 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How long for visa?

Originally Posted by StaceyUK
Hi, we live in London and my husband has been offered a job in Toronto. They've carried out a LMO which was positive and are waiting for written confirmation (they received verbal confirmation). They wrote to my husband with an informal job offer and will be discussing it further with him today.

My question is, once we apply for the visa with a positive LMO and a job offer, how long should we expect it to take to secure a work permit/visa?

Oh, and am I being naive but I'm assuming that we should be able to get a work permit on the basis of having a positive LMO and a job offer? I'm also assuming that my husband getting a work permit this way will also mean that myself and our daughter will be able to join him?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hiya,
Congrats on the job offer and positive LMO.

Once you have written confirmation of the LMO, then you can apply for TWP at POE (Port of Entry). This means that you can fly out with the conf letter and job offer and the immigration official in Canada will organise your TWP.
If you decide not to do it this way then i believe it can take between 6 - 8 weeks but hopefully someone can confirm that for you.

With regard you and your daughter, you are able to go with him but if you want to work you will have to apply for a spousal open work permit. Again, that can be done on Entry to canada.

Good luck with the move.

Linz
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

In many ways Canada is much easier to work in when compared to the UK/US etc as long as you have all the necassary paperwork beforehand. You guys have pretty much got the golden ticket now, congratulations.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Your husband has two options, either send the LMO off with an application form for a Temporary Work Permit [TWP] to the embassy in London (presuming he is a UK citizen). He should get a TWP within 6-8 weeks (someone correct me if this has changed recently). If he needs a medical (i.e. if he is working in healthcare or with kids), it could take longer.

If he doesn't need a medical, he can take his LMO and supporting documents (such as job offer, copy of CV etc), along with $150 to the Canadian border/airport, and have the TWP issued at the point of entry [POE]. This is obviously the quicker option, but not appropriate if he needs a medical.

You are entitled to a Spousal Open Work Permit [SWOP], which can also be processed at the same time (either in London or at the POE), again for $150. If your daughter is under 18, I believe she is entitled to a study permit, again at a cost. Unfortunately she is unable to have a work permit.

Hope this helps. May I ask what your OH does, and how long it took for your LMO to be issued?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

StaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wolstie
Hi

Your husband has two options, either send the LMO off with an application form for a Temporary Work Permit [TWP] to the embassy in London (presuming he is a UK citizen). He should get a TWP within 6-8 weeks (someone correct me if this has changed recently). If he needs a medical (i.e. if he is working in healthcare or with kids), it could take longer.

If he doesn't need a medical, he can take his LMO and supporting documents (such as job offer, copy of CV etc), along with $150 to the Canadian border/airport, and have the TWP issued at the point of entry [POE]. This is obviously the quicker option, but not appropriate if he needs a medical.

You are entitled to a Spousal Open Work Permit [SWOP], which can also be processed at the same time (either in London or at the POE), again for $150. If your daughter is under 18, I believe she is entitled to a study permit, again at a cost. Unfortunately she is unable to have a work permit.

Hope this helps. May I ask what your OH does, and how long it took for your LMO to be issued?
Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Wolstie - My OH is a mechanical/electrical design engineer. I don't know how long it took for the LMO. As far as I know, they received verbal confirmation of it and HR dept are now waiting for written confirmation. I'm assuming that as they've received verbal confirmation this means that the LMO was favourable - otherwise they'd not be offering him the position! They emailed him about a week ago and are going to speak with him again tonight so hopefully we'll find out whether or not the written LMO has come in yet.

With regards to visa, we will definitely be applying over here first. We'd much rather have everything in place before arriving at the airport so that it will be less hassle!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

With regards to visa, we will definitely be applying over here first. We'd much rather have everything in place before arriving at the airport so that it will be less hassle!
Definitely a good idea.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Stacey,

As far as i'm aware, your husband won't need a medical, so he could apply at POE. All the experiences I have read on here about applying for TWPs at point of entry have been positive. It's not too much hassle as long as your paperwork is in order. Remember, you are saving yourself roughly two months processing time! Have a search for threads about applying for TWP at POE.

When my LMO or PNP nomination is finally issued, I intend to fly to Canada for a month (applying for my TWP at point of entry ), get settled in my job a little bit and set everything up (house, car etc), before flying back to the UK and bringing the wife and 2 kids back with me.

Good luck with everything!
Wolstie
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:42 pm
Sidecar Falcon

It's a funny situation, if it was me then I would probably want to get it sorted out beforehand just to make sure that everything went smoothly, but then again I'm always super-cautious about these things.

I suppose the critical question here is how quickly they need the OP's husband over there to start work.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I suppose the critical question here is how quickly they need the OP's husband over there to start work.
Exactly.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

My OH and I are definitely the cautious types and going over with a 3 yr old in tow and the thought of possibly being turned away fills me with dread!!

Also, we're happy for it to take a few months as we have to put our flat on the market and sell it in order to fund our move!

Plus, the employer has given a provisional start date of 1st of June with this being negotiable so they are aware that it may take some time for us to pack, sell the flat and get moved!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Also, we're happy for it to take a few months as we have to put our flat on the market and sell it in order to fund our move!
That's a big step to take for a temporary position, would your hubby's future employers be prepared to fund a move back if necessary?

Just that we've seen a lot of people recently who have been made redundant whilst on a TWP and are scuppered, I'd imagine it would be even worse if you'd sold your UK home.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
Hi Stacey,

As far as i'm aware, your husband won't need a medical, so he could apply at POE. All the experiences I have read on here about applying for TWPs at point of entry have been positive. It's not too much hassle as long as your paperwork is in order. Remember, you are saving yourself roughly two months processing time! Have a search for threads about applying for TWP at POE.

When my LMO or PNP nomination is finally issued, I intend to fly to Canada for a month (applying for my TWP at point of entry ), get settled in my job a little bit and set everything up (house, car etc), before flying back to the UK and bringing the wife and 2 kids back with me.

Good luck with everything!
Wolstie
Great idea...just a word of caution is that the majority of Canadian employers expect you to be in employment for a year before they grant you leave. You might want to run your plan past your new employer to make sure that they are ok with you leaving the job to go back to collect the family.

just a thought
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:08 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
In many ways Canada is much easier to work in when compared to the UK/US etc as long as you have all the necassary paperwork beforehand. You guys have pretty much got the golden ticket now, congratulations.
It's great news for the OP.

Golden Ticket? I wouldn't say that. The problem with this type of process is that if they lose their jobs with the company they will not be eligible to work or reside anywhere in Canada other than reverting back to visitor status for a limited period before being booted out.

So selling up property etc to move on this visa is great but carries huge risks when compared to other routes.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zap0ne
Great idea...just a word of caution is that the majority of Canadian employers expect you to be in employment for a year before they grant you leave. You might want to run your plan past your new employer to make sure that they are ok with you leaving the job to go back to collect the family.

just a thought
Cheers for the advice. The leave would be just for a week, and given that i'm relocating my family from overseas, I'd hope they'd be ok with it. Happy to take it unpaid of course!