Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long to receive open work permit when applying for PR?

How long to receive open work permit when applying for PR?

Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

krispal2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long to receive open work permit when applying for PR?

Hi,

I am applying for permanent residency (spousal class - whilst living in Canada) and was just wondering how long it takes to receive an open work permit if you are applying for it at the same time. We sent off our application in November 2010 and so far haven't heard anything from CIC. I have a working holiday visa through BUNAC until July 13th but am getting a little worried as my wife and I also have a 6 month old son and I need to be able to work continuously.

Also is there anyway of contacting them and finding out what is going on or maybe speaking to someone and explaining the situation so that I can get my work permit sooner (I'm kind of guessing not).

Or, has anyone been in a similar situation ie. had a child with a Canadian and applying for PR and can give us any advice or tell us their story.

Cheers

Chris
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:24 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to receive open work permit when applying for PR?

Hi

Originally Posted by krispal2000
Hi,

I am applying for permanent residency (spousal class - whilst living in Canada) and was just wondering how long it takes to receive an open work permit if you are applying for it at the same time. We sent off our application in November 2010 and so far haven't heard anything from CIC. I have a working holiday visa through BUNAC until July 13th but am getting a little worried as my wife and I also have a 6 month old son and I need to be able to work continuously.

Also is there anyway of contacting them and finding out what is going on or maybe speaking to someone and explaining the situation so that I can get my work permit sooner (I'm kind of guessing not).

Or, has anyone been in a similar situation ie. had a child with a Canadian and applying for PR and can give us any advice or tell us their story.

Cheers

Chris
You won't get an open work permit until you get first level approval, presently takes 9-10 months, Vegreville is working on applications received May 25th. So your application hasn't been opened yet. A word to the wise, if you have valid status in Canada and are from a visa exempt country, you shouldn't apply for "in-Canada" . If you had applied for out of Canada while residing in Canada, you probably would be close to receiving your PR now.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:10 am
Account Closed

dtilley592 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You won't get an open work permit until you get first level approval, presently takes 9-10 months, Vegreville is working on applications received May 25th. So your application hasn't been opened yet. A word to the wise, if you have valid status in Canada and are from a visa exempt country, you shouldn't apply for "in-Canada" . If you had applied for out of Canada while residing in Canada, you probably would be close to receiving your PR now.

I can only back up what PMM has already stated... I was in a similar position and did my PR 'outland' it took less than five months from posting the application to receiving my PR (October 2010 - March 2011). Hindsight is a great thing but PMM is right most people who applied in November via 'outland' have already got their PR status.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. It's unlikely that I'll begin an outland application now but just a couple of questions regarding it in case;

1. Can I even apply outland if I am applying inland already?

2. If I was applying outland could I request an open work permit?

Also, is there any other way to ensure I can work in Canada between my BUNAC visa running out and getting my open work permit?

I'm employed but only as a breakfast cook, would there be anything my employer could do?

With the open work permit I put for it to run until Dec '11 thinking the process would be much quicker, will CIC put it for longer or will they stick to this date?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road

Now - BUNAC is a two time thing...have you applied for a second year on your bunac holiday?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:18 am
Just Joined

I've already been abit creative with the BUNAC visa, I came originally on a non-student visa in April 09. I met my wife within a month of being here and so applied and got a deferred university place in the UK and applied for a student visa to come back for a second year. However now we are married and have a 6 month old so I don't really qualify for the BUNAC visa and feel I'd be pushing my luck to try and get one again (they recently changed the rules so that you can apply for the student version as often as you want as long as you have student eligibility).
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've already been abit creative with the BUNAC visa, I came originally on a non-student visa in April 09. I met my wife within a month of being here and so applied and got a deferred university place in the UK and applied for a student visa to come back for a second year. However now we are married and have a 6 month old so I don't really qualify for the BUNAC visa and feel I'd be pushing my luck to try and get one again (they recently changed the rules so that you can apply for the student version as often as you want as long as you have student eligibility).
They've changed the rules again, seems you're not aware but you can now get two non-student visas in a row (even if you've had one before - so you could have three in total), and you can be married and have a dependent.

Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the BUNAC recommendation I didn't realise the rules had changed. I had a look at BUNAC but unfortunately part of their rule changes are that you can't apply whilst still on a current work permit, you must wait for this to expire. As the application process for BUNAC takes about 4-6 weeks this doesn't really help me too much. It seems all I can do is hope the immigration process speeds up, at the minute I stand to be unable to work for 6 weeks.

Anybody else got any ideas? Also I didn't mention I'm in Quebec (Montreal) is there any way in which that might help my cause?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Anna-Boleyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,
I also applied inland sponsorship. We send our application including an application for open work permit the 22.05.2010. I received my new work permit the 18.03.2011. But as I live in Quebec I also had to apply here (after Canada says yes to the sponsorship, Quebec has to say yes too), which made the process maybe one month longer... So count with 9-10 month until you get your open work permit.

Good luck!!
Eva
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

panic-stricken is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Cheers

Chris
you should be able to still legally work under the rules of implied status

''if a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation provides them the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions, pending a determination of their application for renewal, as long as they remain in Canada. This is referred as "implied status". The temporary foreign worker will have implied status until a decision is rendered by CIC.

In this case, a SIN card bearing a new expiry date will only be issued once CIC has rendered a decision. In the interim, where "implied status" is confirmed, the expired SIN may continue to be used.''

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/s...s/expiry.shtml
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:44 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the BUNAC recommendation I didn't realise the rules had changed. I had a look at BUNAC but unfortunately part of their rule changes are that you can't apply whilst still on a current work permit, you must wait for this to expire. As the application process for BUNAC takes about 4-6 weeks this doesn't really help me too much. It seems all I can do is hope the immigration process speeds up, at the minute I stand to be unable to work for 6 weeks.

Anybody else got any ideas? Also I didn't mention I'm in Quebec (Montreal) is there any way in which that might help my cause?

The new "BUNAC" work permit is now referred to as IEC work permit and you can find more information at the London High Commission website: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...=eng&menu_id=7
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BTJ
The new "BUNAC" work permit is now referred to as IEC work permit and you can find more information at the London High Commission website: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...=eng&menu_id=7
Woah - I too didn't realise the rules had changed and a BUNAC visa can now be longer than 1yr/applied for more than once. I'm slightly annoyed now!

I applied inland through Common Law sponsorship (I'm now ignoring the fact that inland was a HUGE error as there's nothing I can do about it now!). Vegreville got my paperwork on 10 June 2010. We got our letters for Stage 1 approval yesterday saying I can now send in for an OWP which I did today!

So to answer your question.....Pretty much 10 mths exactly!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:47 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies. They've given me alot of hope. I'm going to look into the implied status and see if I can carry on working through this and if not at least I can try and extend my current BUNAC visa.

What a shame CIC aren't as helpful as you guys.

Does anybody know if you have to do something for the implied status ie. fill out some paperwork or prove that you have sent in a PR application?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Shonas mum is an unknown quantity at this point

My Hubby's work permit will expire in Sept '11 and we have put forward our renewal already as apparently it can take months to come through - we are in Alberta,
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:27 am
Just Joined

panic-stricken is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the replies. They've given me alot of hope. I'm going to look into the implied status and see if I can carry on working through this and if not at least I can try and extend my current BUNAC visa.

What a shame CIC aren't as helpful as you guys.

Does anybody know if you have to do something for the implied status ie. fill out some paperwork or prove that you have sent in a PR application?
I rang CIC yesterday to confirm Implied status details.

They said implied status would be assumed if the PR application and TWP change of conditions forms where sent in the same envelope.
Also, id be working under the same conditions of my expired visa. I was worried i wouldnt be allowed to change employers, but apparently thats not the case.

Proof of implied status could be the tricky part, as they informed me i wont get any paper work back for 9-10 months.

The only proof i have to supply my employer is receipts of payments and post and the info i quoted earlier in the thread.