Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long must I wait to marry in Canada?

How long must I wait to marry in Canada?

Old Feb 6th 2005, 12:36 am
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice
Default Re: How long must I wait to marry in Canada?

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
heyyy~ozzy~rob~... ...where ya been..? i have missed ya.... .LOL..and too right about the police clearance....i can't figure out why it is so difficult from here.? one would think it straight forward enough...get fingerprints taken..fill in form...send it in..but NO~~~~~~ can't be that simple...and then the conflicting costs......geeeeeeez..i had prices of between...> $44 up to $180. .and that was just for the fingerprints. In Canada it is costing me...$25...woooo hoooo..and the man was so nice and knew exactly what i was talking about......guess he understood my accent...hehehehe
Arr it's nice to be missed. I've been around, just doing more lurking than posting.

It would be nice if things were simple, eh. For instance, I would like to know why it will take 8 to 9 months (if I'm lucky) for somebody to spend perhaps an hour or two to check through my documents and make a few enquiries! But then again if life was simple it may be a bit dull!

Perhaps the guy liked your accent!?
Old Feb 6th 2005, 12:15 pm
whm
Forum Regular

whm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant future

heyyy~ozzy~rob~... ...where ya been..? i have missed ya.... .LOL..and too right about the police clearance....i can't figure out why it is so difficult from here.? one would think it straight forward enough...get fingerprints taken..fill in form...send it in..but NO~~~~~~ can't be that simple...and then the conflicting costs......geeeeeeez..i had prices of between...> $44 up to $180. .and that was just for the fingerprints. In Canada it is costing me...$25...woooo hoooo..and the man was so nice and knew exactly what i was talking about......guess he understood my accent...hehehehe
Hi OzRob and Maple Leaf,

Okay, re. this police clearance thing, p. 32 of IMM 5289 tells me that you should not obtain [my emphasis] a police clearance before applying for immigration if you are from the UK. But that you may receive special instructions at a later date.

Any thoughts on this? To tell you the truth, my UK man will have to do this ANYWAY due to that pesky criminal rehab. thing, but as that will likely happen AFTER he gets here, I'm still wondering about this.

Thanks for the detail on forms, etc. OzRob!

whm
Old Feb 6th 2005, 12:18 pm
whm
Forum Regular

whm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant future

it all sounds fine...*S*...and ..you are asking to be admitted as a visitor...you are NOT applying for immigration when you arrive....there will be some things they will ask...but they won't be asking..EVERYTHING..relating to immigration....and

errr sorry...i got a bit muddled......click on the search up the top right side of your screen..and it will open...also...if you click on a persons name ..another section will pop up..and you can then find ..posts and threads...that relate to that person..who is in the same situation as yourself.

also..you may not be aware.We come under the family class sponsorship scheme.
.spousal sponsorship...is different to other types of visas.....from what i can understand the process itself..is more lenient than other types. However it still will have it's personal challenges....
As to your further enquiry....Customs can ask us anything they want. On my las trip to Canada ..i went as a tourist under the visitor waiver program as i am from Australia. They asked me did i have return ticket.? how money did i have ...( i took about $1600) they commented it wasn't much for a month..i replied i don't need much...and *SMILED*..very nicely. Then they asked me a bunch of other questions....why did you pay cash for your ticket..how come you only bought it a week before you left....have you met your boyfriend before in person...have you been to Canada before....ummm what else...what kind of work do you do....etc..etc....this man was focused on bussiness...as in ...was i there to work..and do bussiness..to which i replied constantly..no..that i was there to visit with my boyfriend and his 2 children.
He was doing his job. And that is great to see. All they want to know is that..you are not trying to get in and stay under false pretences....the Sydney consulate in Oz..explained it to me very well. That there is a chance they may question me further when i tell them that i am intending to marry and apply for PR. They will may want to know...do i have the means to return to Australia and what is my situation back there. and i have a job to return to...home etc etc.
I think the best thing..is to be honest...and tell them what they want to know...if they ask you questions then just tell the truth....i don't think they expect everyone that comes to canada to be rich..and be in the ideal situation......however..they do want to know..if you are at risk of applying for refugee status if your application failed etc..etc.....there is a wealth of info available..and i suggest to read as much as you can.......

Be aware of certain things too...like..where you have your medical.....?..if there is further info required....you have to return to the same doctor.....(there is a possibiltiy with me there may be, is why i am having it done after i arrive in canada)

Also..the income requirement is different for us ..as we are spouse.Not as strict.

Like i say read and ask questions...*S*..and RELAX...LOL..and have a few laughs on here too..we help each other along that way aswell.. :scared: .*S*
Maple Leaf,

I want to thank you, too, for these great, detailed messages. I am busily printing off for computer luddite man in UK. LOL!! And thanks for asking the questions, Steve (and did I say welcome to the Forum? I guess I'm allowed, since I've been here for a month or 2.)

whm
Old Feb 6th 2005, 12:55 pm
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

Originally Posted by whm
Hi OzRob and Maple Leaf,

Okay, re. this police clearance thing, p. 32 of IMM 5289 tells me that you should not obtain [my emphasis] a police clearance before applying for immigration if you are from the UK. But that you may receive special instructions at a later date.

Any thoughts on this? To tell you the truth, my UK man will have to do this ANYWAY due to that pesky criminal rehab. thing, but as that will likely happen AFTER he gets here, I'm still wondering about this.

Thanks for the detail on forms, etc. OzRob!

whm

Hi whm,
in that case it looks like where ever you guys are applying through does it the same way as Sydney does for skilled workers.

Personally if I was him I would get a clearance ASAP and send it with the application, or once he gets his AOR. If they ask for another it is only £10 and it may avoid a delay later on. Anybody else have thoughts on this?
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by whm
Maple Leaf,

I want to thank you, too, for these great, detailed messages. I am busily printing off for computer luddite man in UK. LOL!! And thanks for asking the questions, Steve (and did I say welcome to the Forum? I guess I'm allowed, since I've been here for a month or 2.)

whm
HUGS~*~**~*whm*~*~* you crack me up...i luv your humor....*VVVBS*~*~**~and!!!!!!!! yes you can WELCOME anyone....silly billy....LOL~~~~

hmmmmm THINKING as putting on specs...(i am pretending cos i don't wear them but it makes me feel intelligent to think that i wear them)...don't know why..but it does ...i agree with OZROB~...if he can have the police clearance done BEFORE sending the application in...then go for it....as it will save time.....and besides..i thought you were applying for INLAND spouse visa..from within Canada...??.....everyone i know who has done this..has sent the ..medical and the police history check in ...at the time of sending in the sponsor application..with the rest of the actual application itself..?......is it possible what you are reading is to do with ..if you are applying from WITHIN the UK..? << just a thought there.let me know if it's a good one :
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:15 am
whm
Forum Regular

HUGS~*~**~*whm*~*~* you crack me up...i luv your humor....*VVVBS*~*~**~and!!!!!!!! yes you can WELCOME anyone....silly billy....LOL~~~~

hmmmmm THINKING as putting on specs...(i am pretending cos i don't wear them but it makes me feel intelligent to think that i wear them)...don't know why..but it does ...i agree with OZROB~...if he can have the police clearance done BEFORE sending the application in...then go for it....as it will save time.....and besides..i thought you were applying for INLAND spouse visa..from within Canada...??.....everyone i know who has done this..has sent the ..medical and the police history check in ...at the time of sending in the sponsor application..with the rest of the actual application itself..?......is it possible what you are reading is to do with ..if you are applying from WITHIN the UK..? << just a thought there.let me know if it's a good one :
Maple Leaf, ALL your thoughts are good ones - I'm just amazed that you're still thinking at all...

Nope, this was definitely the Inland Spouse Visa application guide that I was looking at. He is busily getting a police clearance at the moment so that we can send it in to CHC "For Information Only" so that they might actually let him IN the country when he comes to visit in May (and stay and marry and all that good stuff) because of his criminal conviction that will not quite have reached the 5 year limit before he comes here. God help them if they make him stay out of the country until Nov., which is when we can officially send in the application for rehabilitation. Hell hath no fury, etc. etc...

By the way, I think Jameso told me that you can't apply for Inland Spousal until the DAY that your criminal rehab. application can go in. I have all the respect in the world for Jameso because he obviously does his homework, but if anybody could throw just the tiniest spec of doubt on that, I'd be smiling!!

Our timing is going to be terribly tricky, but...I'm not sure what else we can do...

And thanks for helping me stay on track!!

whm
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whm
Maple Leaf, ALL your thoughts are good ones - I'm just amazed that you're still thinking at all...

Nope, this was definitely the Inland Spouse Visa application guide that I was looking at. He is busily getting a police clearance at the moment so that we can send it in to CHC "For Information Only" so that they might actually let him IN the country when he comes to visit in May (and stay and marry and all that good stuff) because of his criminal conviction that will not quite have reached the 5 year limit before he comes here. God help them if they make him stay out of the country until Nov., which is when we can officially send in the application for rehabilitation. Hell hath no fury, etc. etc...

By the way, I think Jameso told me that you can't apply for Inland Spousal until the DAY that your criminal rehab. application can go in. I have all the respect in the world for Jameso because he obviously does his homework, but if anybody could throw just the tiniest spec of doubt on that, I'd be smiling!!

Our timing is going to be terribly tricky, but...I'm not sure what else we can do...

And thanks for helping me stay on track!!

whm
Hi whm

You can APPLY for spousal sponsorship before the 5 years is up (from the end of the sentence imposed) and he may be granted a "tempoary residents permit". As far as I understand it though he will not be able to work on a Temporary residents Permit and it is not gauranteed he will get one and it takes a long time to get it. Basicallay you cannot (as far as I know) gain Permenant residence without approval of rehabilitation, thats the long and the short of it. Believe me, if I knew any way to get myself into Canada any quicker I would do it, my Canadian partner has now been stuck in the UK with me with our lives onhold for 2 and a half years!!!! I feel more and more guilty everyday, I am the same, if anyone knows any better resolution, let us know!!!

Cheers, Jameso

PS keep me updated
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:50 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Re Police Checks in the UK

The replies so far are kind of right and wrong. When you apply for a police check from the RCMP in Ottawa you have to send off your fingerprints etc etc. Here in the UK you apply for access to your records via your local police. I live in Huntingdon and I had to apply via my local police station who then send off the forms to the Subject Access Office at the Met in London. You get a 1 page letter back stating that they couldn't find anything on the police national computer (or they could if you are criminal )

Not much point applying for one when you first apply because they CHC will only accept them for 6 months before you have to apply for a new one. They only cost £10 but they take up to 41 days to receive back.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:42 pm
whm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jameso
Hi whm

You can APPLY for spousal sponsorship before the 5 years is up (from the end of the sentence imposed) and he may be granted a "tempoary residents permit". As far as I understand it though he will not be able to work on a Temporary residents Permit and it is not gauranteed he will get one and it takes a long time to get it. Basicallay you cannot (as far as I know) gain Permenant residence without approval of rehabilitation, thats the long and the short of it. Believe me, if I knew any way to get myself into Canada any quicker I would do it, my Canadian partner has now been stuck in the UK with me with our lives onhold for 2 and a half years!!!! I feel more and more guilty everyday, I am the same, if anyone knows any better resolution, let us know!!!

Cheers, Jameso

PS keep me updated
Well, this is happy news , which you likely already told me, but in the mass of information got lost. I thank you again.

We have already fairly well resigned ourselves to the fact that it will be a while before he can work - our major objective is to GET HIM HERE and get him to stay. Given this bit of info., we will undoubtedly be applying for spousal sponsorship as soon as we can, and then doing the criminal rehab. asap, when the 5 years is up. The two things will, realistically, be not all that far apart, but every day seems to matter.

One thing - and I think we've had this conversation before, too, but bear with me - he is applying on the "For Information Only" part of the Criminal Rehab form as we speak so that he can tell Immigration, when he arrives in May, that he is following the protocol (as far as we understand it). Now, I don't really think that he'll hear anything back from CHC before May, so it is kind of a moot point, but there is some little part of me that says it won't hurt.

The conversation will go something like this (and thanks to Ms. Maple Leaf for coaching on this one, at least the first part):

UK: I am entering Canada as a visitor with the intention of marrying and applying for Inland Spousal Sponsorship.

IMM: (After several other questions, e.g. how much $$ have you got? have you got a job to go back to? etc., comes this one: )
Have you ever had a criminal conviction?

UK: Yes (gives the details)

IMM: [Nightmare scenario: Well then, you can't come into Canada as a visitor.] [More hopeful scenario:] You will need to apply for criminal rehabilitation.

UK: Yes sir, I understand that sir, and I have already initiated the paperwork for the temporary resident visa (this would be with reference to the application, or rather, "information only" paperwork to CHC), since my criminal rehabilitation period is not yet up, but will be in "N" months (before the 6 months is up).

IMM: Oh well then! Enjoy your stay!!

Whaddaya think? New career as an exciting script writer? Terribly unrealistic?

Hey, don't let the guilt get to you Jameso. Guilt is definitely not worth it - a total waste of time if you can't do anything to change the situation. Better to spend the energy making the two of you as happy as possible. Easy for me to say, eh?

Cheers,

whm