Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long must I wait to marry in Canada?

How long must I wait to marry in Canada?

Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Bluespace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long must I wait to marry in Canada?

Hi All

My long-term girlfriend is Canadian and lives there and I'm a Brit and live in the UK. We aim to wed this year as a prelude to me applying for immigration.

I was just wondering how long I'd have to wait before I can apply for a marriage license for a civil ceremony and then how long before I can actually get wed after arriving in Canada on a visitor's visa.

I'd appreciate any advice. Also, can a municipal registrar marry a couple in a licensed venue other than a county office? I was thinking of somewhere like a hotel. Are such places licensed for marriage ceremonies in Canada?

Many thanks
Steve
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Coprolite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long must I wait to marry in Canada?

I'm a brit too who married his Canadian Girlfriend, was really simple

Wife went and got the marriage licence on March 15th last year

rang a local marriage commisioner to arrange a date

I arrived on holiday on 31st March, got married on 4th April, just need two witnesses.
got married in the garden with a few close friends to shoo the racoons away

Just type marriage and whatever province your going to in google and it should come up with everything you need to know.

.....and Congrats in advance
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks Coprolite

That easy. Amazing. If only immigration was the same. lol. Do you live in Canada now? Or are you going spousal sponsorship?

Ya, those racoons are cute but pesky critters sometimes. Especially when you're eating outside at a lodge restaurant somewhere. They'll jump on the table and help themselves.

Steve

Originally Posted by Coprolite
I'm a brit too who married his Canadian Girlfriend, was really simple

Wife went and got the marriage licence on March 15th last year

rang a local marriage commisioner to arrange a date

I arrived on holiday on 31st March, got married on 4th April, just need two witnesses.
got married in the garden with a few close friends to shoo the racoons away

Just type marriage and whatever province your going to in google and it should come up with everything you need to know.

.....and Congrats in advance
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Coprolite is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on Spousal Sponsorship but I'm going to go 'home' begining of next month for a long holiday and wait for my application to finalise there.

My time line is at the bottom here, gives an idea how things are moving with my application.

Have fun with the filling in of the forms, turned me grey overnight (joking)

Originally Posted by Bluespace

That easy. Amazing. If only immigration was the same. lol. Do you live in Canada now? Or are you going spousal sponsorship?

Steve
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Well, keep me informed how it goes In mind of you going 'home' for a long holiday. I was thinking of doing much the same as a visitor (with marriage thrown in . So out of curiosity, what's the best line to give immigration when you fly in. Do you say you plan to stay up to a max of 6 months for example? And is it best to have a return ticket for however long the stay is? And is it advisable to say you plan to spend time looking for real estate with a view to your future plans?

Thanks again
Steve

Originally Posted by Coprolite
I'm on Spousal Sponsorship but I'm going to go 'home' begining of next month for a long holiday and wait for my application to finalise there.

My time line is at the bottom here, gives an idea how things are moving with my application.

Have fun with the filling in of the forms, turned me grey overnight (joking)
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Well, keep me informed how it goes In mind of you going 'home' for a long holiday. I was thinking of doing much the same as a visitor (with marriage thrown in . So out of curiosity, what's the best line to give immigration when you fly in. Do you say you plan to stay up to a max of 6 months for example? And is it best to have a return ticket for however long the stay is? And is it advisable to say you plan to spend time looking for real estate with a view to your future plans?

Thanks again
Steve
hello and welcome Steve. *VBS*~
there is a few of us going through this very same ordeal at the moment. Also i must add .....also going through the joy and excitement of being reunited with our loved one *VVVVVBS*~
I am arriving in Canada in 1.5 weeks...this is well rehearsed for when i arrive at customs...and it is the [truth]..however wording is everything.>

To visit with my fiance with the view to marrying and then exploring the possibility of PR through the family class system.

being that i am asking to be allowed into Canada as a visitor.
then i am telling them my intent to marry with plans of then applying for inland spouse visa.

I have been going over and over this for a few months and have done quite a lot of homework..with the wonderful people on this forum.....the CIC website...the Canadain consulate in Sydney and various other contacts in Canada itself.

Customs.
.will want to see you have a return ticket.
I was fortunate as i bought mine with China Airlines. is a twelve month open ticket. To which they have booked my return date from 6 months when i arrive. As that is how long i am asking to be allowed to visit in Canada for.
(Then all goes well......6 weeks before that date is up..i apply for an extension to stay in Canada as i have a spouse visa application in progress.) And i can change the date on my ticket or get a part refund.
Customs will want to see that you have the means to be able to LEAVE Canada. As you are asking to be allowed in as a visitor.

Funds...they will also want to know how much money you have with you. THis doesn't have to be a lot. just enough to show that you have something. I am taking about $4,000 can dollars with me. if they query the amount..is just a matter of explaining....fiance has a home car...etc..etc...works.....*whatever* your situation may be.

And then the third thing is....the truth....they want to be sure what you are telling them is the truth...that you are coming there as a visitor. If you do not tell them that you are there to marry ...and then try to apply for inland spouse visa....the onus will be on you to prove that WASN"T your intent..on going there...meaning...you would have to show a job ...home....car...bank details..etc etc ..all still open and funtioning..back wherever you are from.

i could go on and on.......however..if you do a search up in the top right hand corner on this topic..you will find lots of information....as i say ..a few of us have been nutting this VERY topic out.

good luck......and once again welcome...*S*
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Maple Leaf for such a detailed post. I appreciate your time. That's very helpful

I know every situation is different. Mine requires me to buy some property in a joint ownership with my Canadian wife to set her up (after marrying her). Hopefully, this will provide a source of income for her to support my spousal sponsorship application. Would immigration (customs) need to know all this when I enter Canada as a visitor?

I would probably fill in the spousal sponsorship forms and provide the docs whilst I'm in Canada as a visitor, then give them to my wfie to send in. After which, I'd return to the UK whilst my application is processed.

Does this sound ok? It still poses a slight problem in the wording of what I'd say when going through customs, but at least you've given me some ideas.
Oh yes, this top right-hand corner topic I'm supposed to find.. Well erm, can't find it. lol

Steve

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
hello and welcome Steve. *VBS*~
there is a few of us going through this very same ordeal at the moment. Also i must add .....also going through the joy and excitement of being reunited with our loved one *VVVVVBS*~
I am arriving in Canada in 1.5 weeks...this is well rehearsed for when i arrive at customs...and it is the [truth]..however wording is everything.>

To visit with my fiance with the view to marrying and then exploring the possibility of PR through the family class system.

being that i am asking to be allowed into Canada as a visitor.
then i am telling them my intent to marry with plans of then applying for inland spouse visa.

I have been going over and over this for a few months and have done quite a lot of homework..with the wonderful people on this forum.....the CIC website...the Canadain consulate in Sydney and various other contacts in Canada itself.

Customs.
.will want to see you have a return ticket.
I was fortunate as i bought mine with China Airlines. is a twelve month open ticket. To which they have booked my return date from 6 months when i arrive. As that is how long i am asking to be allowed to visit in Canada for.
(Then all goes well......6 weeks before that date is up..i apply for an extension to stay in Canada as i have a spouse visa application in progress.) And i can change the date on my ticket or get a part refund.
Customs will want to see that you have the means to be able to LEAVE Canada. As you are asking to be allowed in as a visitor.

Funds...they will also want to know how much money you have with you. THis doesn't have to be a lot. just enough to show that you have something. I am taking about $4,000 can dollars with me. if they query the amount..is just a matter of explaining....fiance has a home car...etc..etc...works.....*whatever* your situation may be.

And then the third thing is....the truth....they want to be sure what you are telling them is the truth...that you are coming there as a visitor. If you do not tell them that you are there to marry ...and then try to apply for inland spouse visa....the onus will be on you to prove that WASN"T your intent..on going there...meaning...you would have to show a job ...home....car...bank details..etc etc ..all still open and funtioning..back wherever you are from.

i could go on and on.......however..if you do a search up in the top right hand corner on this topic..you will find lots of information....as i say ..a few of us have been nutting this VERY topic out.

good luck......and once again welcome...*S*
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Maple Leaf for such a detailed post. I appreciate your time. That's very helpful

I know every situation is different. Mine requires me to buy some property in a joint ownership with my Canadian wife to set her up (after marrying her). Hopefully, this will provide a source of income for her to support my spousal sponsorship application. Would immigration (customs) need to know all this when I enter Canada as a visitor?

I would probably fill in the spousal sponsorship forms and provide the docs whilst I'm in Canada as a visitor, then give them to my wfie to send in. After which, I'd return to the UK whilst my application is processed.

Does this sound ok? It still poses a slight problem in the wording of what I'd say when going through customs, but at least you've given me some ideas.
Oh yes, this top right-hand corner topic I'm supposed to find.. Well erm, can't find it. lol

Steve

it all sounds fine...*S*...and ..you are asking to be admitted as a visitor...you are NOT applying for immigration when you arrive....there will be some things they will ask...but they won't be asking..EVERYTHING..relating to immigration....and

errr sorry...i got a bit muddled......click on the search up the top right side of your screen..and it will open...also...if you click on a persons name ..another section will pop up..and you can then find ..posts and threads...that relate to that person..who is in the same situation as yourself.

also..you may not be aware.We come under the family class sponsorship scheme.
.spousal sponsorship...is different to other types of visas.....from what i can understand the process itself..is more lenient than other types. However it still will have it's personal challenges....
As to your further enquiry....Customs can ask us anything they want. On my las trip to Canada ..i went as a tourist under the visitor waiver program as i am from Australia. They asked me did i have return ticket.? how money did i have ...( i took about $1600) they commented it wasn't much for a month..i replied i don't need much...and *SMILED*..very nicely. Then they asked me a bunch of other questions....why did you pay cash for your ticket..how come you only bought it a week before you left....have you met your boyfriend before in person...have you been to Canada before....ummm what else...what kind of work do you do....etc..etc....this man was focused on bussiness...as in ...was i there to work..and do bussiness..to which i replied constantly..no..that i was there to visit with my boyfriend and his 2 children.
He was doing his job. And that is great to see. All they want to know is that..you are not trying to get in and stay under false pretences....the Sydney consulate in Oz..explained it to me very well. That there is a chance they may question me further when i tell them that i am intending to marry and apply for PR. They will may want to know...do i have the means to return to Australia and what is my situation back there. and i have a job to return to...home etc etc.
I think the best thing..is to be honest...and tell them what they want to know...if they ask you questions then just tell the truth....i don't think they expect everyone that comes to canada to be rich..and be in the ideal situation......however..they do want to know..if you are at risk of applying for refugee status if your application failed etc..etc.....there is a wealth of info available..and i suggest to read as much as you can.......

Be aware of certain things too...like..where you have your medical.....?..if there is further info required....you have to return to the same doctor.....(there is a possibiltiy with me there may be, is why i am having it done after i arrive in canada)

Also..the income requirement is different for us ..as we are spouse.Not as strict.

Like i say read and ask questions...*S*..and RELAX...LOL..and have a few laughs on here too..we help each other along that way aswell.. :scared: .*S*

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Feb 4th 2005 at 10:39 am. Reason: you dont' want to know grrrrrrrrr LOL
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Red face Re: How long must I wait to marry in Canada?

We plan on marrying a few weeks after i arrive and then start gathering all the info we need. Police Clearance...Medical etc. and then put the application in when all that is ready..hopefully will be sorted and ready to go in within 2 months.
As far as i am aware there is no time line to wait to be married. and CONGRATULATIONS~to you and your g/f -fiance~ on your impending marraige. *S*
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:04 pm
whm
Forum Regular

whm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant future

We plan on marrying a few weeks after i arrive and then start gathering all the info we need. Police Clearance...Medical etc. and then put the application in when all that is ready..hopefully will be sorted and ready to go in within 2 months.
As far as i am aware there is no time line to wait to be married. and CONGRATULATIONS~to you and your g/f -fiance~ on your impending marraige. *S*
Sorry, this is a bit of an aside to this thread, but Maple Leaf, could you explain the Police Clearance - I'm finding this confusing. (Steve, for your info., I'm in a similar situation as the Canadian soon-to-be-well-not-soon-enough-but-you-know-what-I-mean wife of a UK man) I'm confused because UK people don't need a police clearance, I'm told (in the CIC docs) - do Australians need one? So this is different?

Of course it's different for us anyway because of the conviction which I've gone on about on this forum ad nauseum, but I was just wondering.

whm
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

I like all the smileys Maple Leaf I was doing some of this last night

Thanks again for the info. I think I've got enough to get cracking. Tell me what does PR stand for? Public Relations? lol

Steve

it all sounds fine...*S*...and ..you are asking to be admitted as a visitor...you are NOT applying for immigration when you arrive....there will be some things they will ask...but they won't be asking..EVERYTHING..relating to immigration....and

errr sorry...i got a bit muddled......click on the search up the top right side of your screen..and it will open...also...if you click on a persons name ..another section will pop up..and you can then find ..posts and threads...that relate to that person..who is in the same situation as yourself.

also..you may not be aware.We come under the family class sponsorship scheme.
.spousal sponsorship...is different to other types of visas.....from what i can understand the process itself..is more lenient than other types. However it still will have it's personal challenges....
As to your further enquiry....Customs can ask us anything they want. On my las trip to Canada ..i went as a tourist under the visitor waiver program as i am from Australia. They asked me did i have return ticket.? how money did i have ...( i took about $1600) they commented it wasn't much for a month..i replied i don't need much...and *SMILED*..very nicely. Then they asked me a bunch of other questions....why did you pay cash for your ticket..how come you only bought it a week before you left....have you met your boyfriend before in person...have you been to Canada before....ummm what else...what kind of work do you do....etc..etc....this man was focused on bussiness...as in ...was i there to work..and do bussiness..to which i replied constantly..no..that i was there to visit with my boyfriend and his 2 children.
He was doing his job. And that is great to see. All they want to know is that..you are not trying to get in and stay under false pretences....the Sydney consulate in Oz..explained it to me very well. That there is a chance they may question me further when i tell them that i am intending to marry and apply for PR. They will may want to know...do i have the means to return to Australia and what is my situation back there. and i have a job to return to...home etc etc.
I think the best thing..is to be honest...and tell them what they want to know...if they ask you questions then just tell the truth....i don't think they expect everyone that comes to canada to be rich..and be in the ideal situation......however..they do want to know..if you are at risk of applying for refugee status if your application failed etc..etc.....there is a wealth of info available..and i suggest to read as much as you can.......

Be aware of certain things too...like..where you have your medical.....?..if there is further info required....you have to return to the same doctor.....(there is a possibiltiy with me there may be, is why i am having it done after i arrive in canada)

Also..the income requirement is different for us ..as we are spouse.Not as strict.

Like i say read and ask questions...*S*..and RELAX...LOL..and have a few laughs on here too..we help each other along that way aswell.. :scared: .*S*
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi Maple

Oh, I forgot to ask... inland spouse visa? I can't remember seeing that option. You mean like once your visitor's visa gets close to expiry, you apply for an an extension a la the inland spouse visa? Because then you'll be married anyway? Right?

*S*

I like all the smileys Maple Leaf I was doing some of this last night

Thanks again for the info. I think I've got enough to get cracking. Tell me what does PR stand for? Public Relations? lol

Steve
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Talking Re: How long must I wait to marry in Canada?

i'm baaaaaaaaaaaack....LOL.......*GRIN*...ok jokes aside.....and NO i haven't been> ..i am >> overtired from work
Anyways..yep i am an aussie and yep i need a police *history* check. This involves me ..having my fingerprints taken and then sent along with a particular form to..the ACT in australia. They then do a search to see if i have ever been convicted of a crime etc...I am BLOWN away to read that people from the UK do not need a history check....as far as i know...everyone..and anyone applying for immigration needs one....so pleeeeeeeeease check that one out.
Inland spouse visa...is where ...you are apply for your Spouse SPonsorship...from within Canada. The other alternative is to marry...leave...and apply from your home country. In some instances this may be quicker to get PR...> permanent residency.....than applying from inland ....Understand..?
sometimes it can take me a month of Sundays..to express myself online...i am trying to learn to get my message across as easy as possible...and yeah i can talk a lot...LOL>..
Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:31 pm
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

Originally Posted by whm
Sorry, this is a bit of an aside to this thread, but Maple Leaf, could you explain the Police Clearance - I'm finding this confusing. (Steve, for your info., I'm in a similar situation as the Canadian soon-to-be-well-not-soon-enough-but-you-know-what-I-mean wife of a UK man) I'm confused because UK people don't need a police clearance, I'm told (in the CIC docs) - do Australians need one? So this is different?

Of course it's different for us anyway because of the conviction which I've gone on about on this forum ad nauseum, but I was just wondering.

whm
Hi whm,
I agree with Maple Leaf, you should ckeck if you need a police clearance. There has been a lot of posts on this forum about people in the UK getting police clearances. But don't worry it is a lot easier than getting an Australian clearance.

All you need to do is find the correct form and fill it in. I may be corrected on this but I think the right one is form 3019B. If you do a internet search you will find it no problems. You take the completed form and £10 to your local police station. They do not need fingerprints. It should take less than 40 days to receive it.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OzRob
Hi whm,
I agree with Maple Leaf, you should ckeck if you need a police clearance. There has been a lot of posts on this forum about people in the UK getting police clearances. But don't worry it is a lot easier than getting an Australian clearance.

All you need to do is find the correct form and fill it in. I may be corrected on this but I think the right one is form 3019B. If you do a internet search you will find it no problems. You take the completed form and £10 to your local police station. They do not need fingerprints. It should take less than 40 days to receive it.
heyyy~ozzy~rob~... ...where ya been..? i have missed ya.... .LOL..and too right about the police clearance....i can't figure out why it is so difficult from here.? one would think it straight forward enough...get fingerprints taken..fill in form...send it in..but NO~~~~~~ can't be that simple...and then the conflicting costs......geeeeeeez..i had prices of between...> $44 up to $180. .and that was just for the fingerprints. In Canada it is costing me...$25...woooo hoooo..and the man was so nice and knew exactly what i was talking about......guess he understood my accent...hehehehe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.