How long have we got?

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Dry will become famous soon enough
Default How long have we got?

Hi we are new to the forum, so apologies if this question has been posted before. I am a Canadian citizen living in U.K. and have been for quite a few years now. I have decided to return to Canada with my husband (married for over 20 years) and have just received my Canadian passport through and are in the process of sponsoring my British husband via the Family Class, Spouse from U.K.. Our questions are, if we were to go through the process and receive approval, how long would we be able to remain in the U.K. before this approval expires as we still need to sell our property. Also having received the approval, if we went to Canada for a couple of weeks, would this activate my husband's permanent residency card (PRC) and if so, I understand they post the PRC onto you, would they post it back to U.K. or do you have to have a Canadian address?

Any advice will be welcomed, thx.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:42 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long have we got?

Originally Posted by Canada Dry
if we were to go through the process and receive approval, how long would we be able to remain in the U.K. before this approval expires as we still need to sell our property.
Your husband will have a year from the time of his medicals to land in Canada and activate his permanent residence status. Once he has done that, he can live outside of Canada indefinitely, as long as he's with you. A day spent abroad in the company of a Canadian spouse counts as if it was a day spent in Canada, for the purposes of meeting a PR's residency obligation.

Also having received the approval, if we went to Canada for a couple of weeks, would this activate my husband's permanent residency card (PRC) and if so, I understand they post the PRC onto you, would they post it back to U.K. or do you have to have a Canadian address?
You have to give them a Canadian address to which to mail the PR card. Presumably you have relatives whose address you could provide and who would forward the PR card to the UK. But that's not a make-or-break issue, because a citizen of the UK technically does not need a PR card to get back into Canada. See Permanent Resident Card-Canada.
x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Dry
Hi we are new to the forum, so apologies if this question has been posted before. I am a Canadian citizen living in U.K. and have been for quite a few years now. I have decided to return to Canada with my husband (married for over 20 years) and have just received my Canadian passport through and are in the process of sponsoring my British husband via the Family Class, Spouse from U.K.. Our questions are, if we were to go through the process and receive approval, how long would we be able to remain in the U.K. before this approval expires as we still need to sell our property. Also having received the approval, if we went to Canada for a couple of weeks, would this activate my husband's permanent residency card (PRC) and if so, I understand they post the PRC onto you, would they post it back to U.K. or do you have to have a Canadian address?
You need a Canadian address for the PR Card. Friend or relative will do, they can courier (not post!) the PR Card to you.

PR status is not conditional on having a PR Card anyway. It's a matter of status under the law and the PR Card is only evidence of this.

Have you got your British citizenship and if not, have you thought about naturalisation before you leave?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Dry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need a Canadian address for the PR Card. Friend or relative will do, they can courier (not post!) the PR Card to you.

PR status is not conditional on having a PR Card anyway. It's a matter of status under the law and the PR Card is only evidence of this.

Have you got your British citizenship and if not, have you thought about naturalisation before you leave?
Thanks for the replies and helpful links. I have already got british citizenship so I am dual nationality. Its just what we wanted to hear!