How long to emigrate

Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

RichAndMegStHelens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long to emigrate

Hi,

Can anyone advise?

We have been thinking of emigrating for a few years. We have an interview with a migration assistance company on Tuesday 13th November. I have a possible job to go to in Edmonton, I meet the chief engineer in January 2008. My wife qualifies as a registered nurse in May 2008. If the job offer doesnt happen, my current managing director says he will think about opening an office for me in Calgary or Edmonton. The question is, if we have employment, can we get quicker migration?

Thanks
Rich and Meg of St Helens
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:50 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to emigrate

Originally Posted by RichAndMegStHelens
Hi,

Can anyone advise?

We have been thinking of emigrating for a few years. We have an interview with a migration assistance company on Tuesday 13th November. I have a possible job to go to in Edmonton, I meet the chief engineer in January 2008. My wife qualifies as a registered nurse in May 2008. If the job offer doesnt happen, my current managing director says he will think about opening an office for me in Calgary or Edmonton. The question is, if we have employment, can we get quicker migration?

Thanks
Rich and Meg of St Helens
Short answer to your last question is yes.

I came over here to start a business via a work permit route. Paperwork took a few months to sort out. Sponsorship by an employer certainly speeds up the process, though there are criteria (depending on Province) that will need to be met. Search this forum for PNP and work permit questions and you'll find out other individuals experiences. There's a Wikki article about the different visa categories too that probably includes broad timescales.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

RichAndMegStHelens is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rich,

We visited Kamloops and loved it there. If you dont mind my asking, what business are you in?

Rich
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:10 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichAndMegStHelens
The question is, if we have employment, can we get quicker migration?
If you go over to Canada on an intra-company transfer, it might all be done -- from start to finish -- in as little as a couple of months, based on what I've seen on this forum. If you are at a certain level of seniority or have a certain skill set and are transferred from your employer's UK office to its Canadian office, you can get a temporary work permit.

The great benefit of relocating within a company is that your employer does not have to apply to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). In the normal course of events (that is, excluding an intra-company transfer and a few other specific circumstances), the employer has to demonstrate unsuccessful, Canada-wide recruitment efforts before HRSDC will grant an LMO.

Being freed from obtaining an LMO is a huge advantage. From what I've seen on this forum this year, it has been taking 20+ weeks for LMOs to come through.

However, one thing I don't know is whether or not sending one person across the pond to open up a new office constitutes an intra-company transfer. I am not saying that it does not qualify. What I am saying is that I simply don't know enough about the topic to comment one way or the other.

If you are in an occupation that is in high demand in the oil industry (if you are an engineer or some such), you in any case would be able to get a work permit. What I mean is that even if your present company does not transfer you and you apply for a job with a company based in Edmonton or Calgary, you almost certainly will get a job offer backed up by an LMO. That, in turn, will enable you to get a temporary work permit.

But, because your prospective employer would have to apply for LMO, that more conventional route to getting a work permit would take longer than an intra-company transfer.

If you are at a certain skill level and you come over to Canada on a work permit, your wife can get a spousal open work permit (SOWP). That is, she wouldn't have to jump through the LMO hoop. She would be able to accept any job from any employer in any region of Canada as long as she was accompanying you while you were in Canada on your work permit.

But the interesting thing is that registered nurses are in high demand in Alberta. So, quite aside from the fact that she probably would be entitled to an SOWP through you, your wife would be able to apply for a work permit in her own right. That is, while it would take some time for the LMO process to unfold, an employer who wanted to offer your wife a job would be granted an LMO -- I am guessing.

Here again, there is a point on which I am uncertain. There are registered nurses on this forum who have gained entry to Canada on temporary work permits. But they have been experienced nurses. To be honest, I am not sure if a newly graduated nurse would get a temporary work permit if his/her application had to stand on its own merits.

But your wife does not have to worry about applying for a work permit on the basis of her own experience or whatever. If you are at the skill level that I think you are, your wife will be entitled to an SOWP, and the whole LMO thing will be irrelevant to her.

Another thing that your wife needs to be aware of is that she will be given a certain amount of time within which to write a Canadian nursing exam. This is understandable, if you consider the fact that there are differences between British and Canadian terminology and differences in brand names of drugs.

Once you are in Canada on temporary work permits, you can submit an application for permanent residence visas. If your temporary Canadian employer offers you a permanent job, subject to your PR application being successful, it will speed up your PR application. It will reduce the processing time from 5+ years to about one year.

It would help you to navigate your way around here more effectively if you read Tips on getting the most out of the forums.

I suggest you read the Wiki article entitled Canadian Immigration Overview and all the subsidiary articles that flow from it.

Then read the entire series of articles on job hunting in Canada.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Nov 9th 2007 at 8:28 pm. Reason: Grammar