Wikiposts

How long does it take for a TWP?

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:36 pm
where is my wonkey.....

gemmasbr has a spectacular aura aboutgemmasbr has a spectacular aura aboutgemmasbr has a spectacular aura about
Smile How long does it take for a TWP?

Hi there, hope somenone can help! Ive been doing loads of research about moving to Canada and the best option would be to apply for a Temporary Work Permit/Visa (I think?!). My husband is an Ironworker with years of experience and there seems to be a demand/labour shortage for this type of trade in Alberta. My question is once you have a job offer how long does it ususally take to obtain a TWP if approved? Also once you have been living and working in Canada on a TWP can you then apply for permanent recidency there?

Many thanks for your time
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does it take for a TWP?

Originally Posted by gemmasbr
Hi there, hope somenone can help! Ive been doing loads of research about moving to Canada and the best option would be to apply for a Temporary Work Permit/Visa (I think?!). My husband is an Ironworker with years of experience and there seems to be a demand/labour shortage for this type of trade in Alberta. My question is once you have a job offer how long does it ususally take to obtain a TWP if approved? Also once you have been living and working in Canada on a TWP can you then apply for permanent recidency there?

Many thanks for your time
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions, once you have got the job offer and LMO ('Labour Market Opinion' - something that your potential employer has to get to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job), then you can either apply for the TWP via a visa office which takes around 8 weeks, or simply turn up at the airport and apply there which takes half an hour or so! The LMO can take up to 6 months though so that's the part that takes the time.

You cannot apply for the TWP at the airport if you need a medical, but for an ironworker this wouldn't be necessary (it's only required for those working in healthcare or with children generally).

And you can apply for PR as soon as you like if you meet the criteria, there is no waiting period.

Hope that helps a bit. In case you haven't discovered it yet, the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) is well worth a read, it's got loads of brilliant info in.

Good luck.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:43 am
where is my wonkey.....

gemmasbr has a spectacular aura aboutgemmasbr has a spectacular aura aboutgemmasbr has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions, once you have got the job offer and LMO ('Labour Market Opinion' - something that your potential employer has to get to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job), then you can either apply for the TWP via a visa office which takes around 8 weeks, or simply turn up at the airport and apply there which takes half an hour or so! The LMO can take up to 6 months though so that's the part that takes the time.

You cannot apply for the TWP at the airport if you need a medical, but for an ironworker this wouldn't be necessary (it's only required for those working in healthcare or with children generally).

And you can apply for PR as soon as you like if you meet the criteria, there is no waiting period.

Hope that helps a bit. In case you haven't discovered it yet, the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) is well worth a read, it's got loads of brilliant info in.

Good luck.

Wow thats great thanks very much for your reply I had no idea you could pick up the TWP at the airport!! Much needed info
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemmasbr
Wow thats great thanks very much for your reply I had no idea you could pick up the TWP at the airport!! Much needed info
No probs. Have just thought that this Wiki article may be of use............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

Old Dec 4th 2009, 7:36 am
where is my wonkey.....

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No probs. Have just thought that this Wiki article may be of use............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

Thanks again so helpful