Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

how long does it take to get a visa when you DIY?

how long does it take to get a visa when you DIY?

Old May 3rd 2010, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

lisa_247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long does it take to get a visa when you DIY?

Hi, myself and my partner are considering using a consultant to help us with our Canadian Visa application. After reading lots of the previous posts on here regarding this subject, we are tempted now to just go it alone and do it ourselves as our circumstances are pretty straight forward and the consultant is charging £3700 (thats the total for myself and my partner).

My boyfriend spoke to a friend of his last night who lives in Calgary, and he recommended that we go with the consultant as doing it yourself could take up to 3 years for the visa to come through with the way things are at the moment. I realise that lots of people have applied without help and have had visas come through pretty quickly, but I was just wondering if anyone knows how long it would roughly take if we dont use the adviser?

Many thanks

Lisa
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long does it take to get a visa when you DIY?

A consultant cannot fast track you - if you do things yourself you can achieve the same end result in the same time frame. Just do lots of reading, ask questions here and triple check everything.

Good luck
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Lisa.....hi.

Can't answer from experience.......but it is my absolute belief that there is little advantage to the use of consultants. They are likely.....indeed will....ask you to furnish all of the information that they need in order to complete the applications on your behalf. You might as well complete the forms for yourself and use the £3700 for something more important.

IMO, the forms are not THAT difficult to complete....you have to be meticulous, answer every question asked of you (even if the answer is "not applicable") and supply all of the supporting documentation as required.

I'm sure that those members who have used consultancy services will express their own views....but I fail to see that there is realistically any time advantage gained by the use of consultants!

Steveh
Old May 4th 2010, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
Lisa.....hi.

Can't answer from experience.......but it is my absolute belief that there is little advantage to the use of consultants. They are likely.....indeed will....ask you to furnish all of the information that they need in order to complete the applications on your behalf. You might as well complete the forms for yourself and use the £3700 for something more important.

IMO, the forms are not THAT difficult to complete....you have to be meticulous, answer every question asked of you (even if the answer is "not applicable") and supply all of the supporting documentation as required.

I'm sure that those members who have used consultancy services will express their own views....but I fail to see that there is realistically any time advantage gained by the use of consultants!

Steveh
Hi Lisa

I would agree with the above replies - we applied in 2007 and are due to move to Canada next month. Paying a consultant to complete the forms wouldn't have changed that time line at all.
Just double check everything and you can do it yourself and use the £3,700 for your flights, rent etc
Old May 4th 2010, 12:24 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Your boyfriend's friend might have applied under the old system which is why it took him 3 years or so to have his application processed. That has now changed as things are being done much quicker now. I applied as an FSW Cat 1 applicant in March 09 through the DIY consultant and I have had my passport request last week. Will be picking it up frm London this Thursday. Thats about 14 months frm beginning to end.
Old May 4th 2010, 12:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa_247
Hi, myself and my partner are considering using a consultant to help us with our Canadian Visa application. After reading lots of the previous posts on here regarding this subject, we are tempted now to just go it alone and do it ourselves as our circumstances are pretty straight forward and the consultant is charging £3700 (thats the total for myself and my partner).

My boyfriend spoke to a friend of his last night who lives in Calgary, and he recommended that we go with the consultant as doing it yourself could take up to 3 years for the visa to come through with the way things are at the moment. I realise that lots of people have applied without help and have had visas come through pretty quickly, but I was just wondering if anyone knows how long it would roughly take if we dont use the adviser?

Many thanks

Lisa
As others have said, a consultant won't speed things up for you - unless of course you make mistakes and have to resubmit stuff, which hopefully wouldn't happen with a knowledgeable consultant. 30% of applications submitted to CIC are returned or rejected as they're been filled in wrong!

If you do want to use a consultant, shop around as £3700 is expensive (£2k is about the norm, possibly slightly more if they do more for you i.e. fill in the forms etc). But if you have straightforward circumstances and are confident of your ability to get it right first time, then you can definitely do it yourself.

As for time, your friend is incorrect. It used to take years (5 years was not unheard of), but SW visas now take 6-12 months to be processed.

Who will you be applying under, you as a lecturer or your partner as a welder?
Old May 4th 2010, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks everyone, I tihnk we are going to go it alone. As far as I was aware the £3700 wasn't just the consultancy fees, that was everything included. When we added up how much it cost to do it ourselves it still came to almost £2500 so we will only be saving around £1000, but thats still a lot of money isnt it!

We were advised to go over on the strength of my teaching qualifications rather than Darrens Welding qualifications as he hasn't been a welder for about 12 months now (no work around in this country so hes CNC programming at the moment). Do you think this is the best way to do it?

Regards

Lisa
Old May 4th 2010, 4:07 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks everyone, I tihnk we are going to go it alone. As far as I was aware the £3700 wasn't just the consultancy fees, that was everything included. When we added up how much it cost to do it ourselves it still came to almost £2500 so we will only be saving around £1000, but thats still a lot of money isnt it!

We were advised to go over on the strength of my teaching qualifications rather than Darrens Welding qualifications as he hasn't been a welder for about 12 months now (no work around in this country so hes CNC programming at the moment). Do you think this is the best way to do it?

Regards

Lisa
It doesn't matter if he has not been a welder for 12 months - he just needs to have been a welder for at least one year in the past ten. As long as he has enough points - I would apply as him being the Principal Applicant.
Old May 4th 2010, 4:11 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Regards

Lisa
I would be very shocked if WB had quoted 3700 including the Government fees - unless they have had a serious change of policy!
Old May 4th 2010, 4:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
It doesn't matter if he has not been a welder for 12 months - he just needs to have been a welder for at least one year in the past ten. As long as he has enough points - I would apply as him being the Principal Applicant.
Ditto what Amy said, I'd also apply with him as the principal applicant. As you know, 'the list' of occupations for SW visas is about to change any day now, and lecturers are among those most likely to be removed. Last thing you want to do is spend ages doing the application with you as principal applicant, then find they've removed lecturers and you have to reapply with your OH as principal applicant instead!

Of course, CIC may well do the opposite and remove welders and leave lecturers, it's only speculation, so up to you. at least one of your occupations stays on the list when they change it!
Old May 4th 2010, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ditto what Amy said, I'd also apply with him as the principal applicant. As you know, 'the list' of occupations for SW visas is about to change any day now, and lecturers are among those most likely to be removed. Last thing you want to do is spend ages doing the application with you as principal applicant, then find they've removed lecturers and you have to reapply with your OH as principal applicant instead!

Of course, CIC may well do the opposite and remove welders and leave lecturers, it's only speculation, so up to you. at least one of your occupations stays on the list when they change it!
Ah right, I didnt realise that was the case, i'll look into that then, cheers
Old May 4th 2010, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Ah right, I didnt realise that was the case, i'll look into that then, cheers
Sorry me again, does who goes as the principal applicant only depend on who does what job? Im just wondering why WB recommended that we had me down as the principal applicant? I am 10 years younger than him and I also have a degree, would that my me a stronger principal applicant or is it just solely dependent on what the person does for a living?

Thank you

Lisa
Old May 4th 2010, 6:54 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Sorry me again, does who goes as the principal applicant only depend on who does what job? Im just wondering why WB recommended that we had me down as the principal applicant? I am 10 years younger than him and I also have a degree, would that my me a stronger principal applicant or is it just solely dependent on what the person does for a living?
Occupation: if one of you qualifies for processing and the other doesn't, the person who qualifies for processing should be the principal applicant.

Points: your points score will be different depending on who is the principal applicant. While the points test should be a straight pass or fail, having more points puts you in a better position if CIC doesn't award you all the points you were expecting. Age and education are two factors that can affect the points score, but you need to look at everything in the application.

Evidence: one of you may have better evidence than the other -- for example, for your experience or your language ability. In that case, it may be that the person with the better evidence should be the principal applicant.
Old May 4th 2010, 7:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

What do you both score on the points test? That may be why WB said you should apply rather than your partner, perhaps he doesn't meet the point score?
Old May 4th 2010, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

scotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura about

we used an immigration consultant to double check our initial application before submission and they'll also double check our full docs before submission to CHC London as well, it didn't cost much more than a few hundred euros and if we had sumitted the initial application ourselves(instead of sending it to be double checked) it would of defo been returned with mistakes.
Also we reckon the full docs being checked etc will prevent them coming back to us with queries etc

lots of people go it alone though and have no probs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.