Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for family members from the UK to Canada?

How long does it take for family members from the UK to Canada?

Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of
Wink How long does it take for family members from the UK to Canada?

Hi All,
Finally after years of wondering,my brother in law and his wife, are finally taking the plunge, and have actually decided to submit their paperwork. My question is .......The process for moving over here(Skilled worker) is it shorter for those with family (time wise), or is it the same sort of timelines if he did not have any family over here.

Any comments warmly received
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:25 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does it take for family members from the UK to Canada?

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Hi All,
Finally after years of wondering,my brother in law and his wife, are finally taking the plunge, and have actually decided to submit their paperwork. My question is .......The process for moving over here(Skilled worker) is it shorter for those with family (time wise), or is it the same sort of timelines if he did not have any family over here.

Any comments warmly received
Few extra points, no less time for SW process.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of
Talking Re: How long does it take for family members from the UK to Canada?

Thank Godness .....Somebody was telling me today that the UK wait is now 5 years...is that correct?????
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank Godness .....Somebody was telling me today that the UK wait is now 5 years...is that correct?????
Apparently, yes.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

If you are applying now, it could be well more than 5 years. There are new rules and reglutions that are coming up.

If he is able to find an employer who is willing to do the paper work and get an "Arranged Employment Opinion" (AEO), then his application would be processed faster. So finding a job is the way to go.

regs
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well the time frame sucks.....However if he managed to get a job, that would get him into the country, but he would still have to wait the same amount of time before he became a PR....is that correct or would becoming a PR be quicker?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well the time frame sucks.....However if he managed to get a job, that would get him into the country, but he would still have to wait the same amount of time before he became a PR....is that correct or would becoming a PR be quicker?
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on circumstances.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:00 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an example of the 'maybe not' JAJ alludes to....

I applied for PR via the SW stream in June '05. Moved here in Aug '05 and gained a 3yr WP to start and run my own business. It's been successful, I employ 5 staff and am self-sufficient. I've also applied for and won related contract work, and been offered an employed job at the local university. It's not made a jot of difference to my PR application in terms of processing speed. Nearly 3yrs on I've still not had a medical request, and don't expect PR until later this year.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

When we applied many moons ago...the wait was unbearable, I shudder to think how we would've coped if we'd been told the wait would now be five years.

RICH it must feel like a kick in the teeth for you...one saving grace is that at least you can enjoy this wonderful country full of sidewalks, fender benders, and celery in everything chinese....A !!!

Well I can't wait to tell my brother in law the latest on wait times....I bet he'll think I'm joking.