Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

how long does family sponsorship take, pls?

how long does family sponsorship take, pls?

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default how long does family sponsorship take, pls?

hi!
i am planning in leaving the uk and settling in canada in order to preserve our immigration which we obtained in 2004.
i have been posting on the other general canada forum here, and someone posted a message saying that even if i maintained my status by living in canada for the requisite number of years, if i then tried to get my family over by way of sponsorship from canada, it would take many years.

my question is.....does anyone know how long it normally takes, please?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:14 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how long does family sponsorship take, pls?

What family - spouse, common-law partner, dependent child, parents? Nationality and country of residence of family member(s) to be sponsored?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi, andrew and thanks for your response.

by family i mean my wife and 3 children (ages 16, 18 and 24).

for your info, we were granted PR status in 2004, stayed in ontario for around 1 year and came back to the uk in 2005.

hope that helps.
rgds

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
What family - spouse, common-law partner, dependent child, parents? Nationality and country of residence of family member(s) to be sponsored?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:17 pm

So, who you want to sponsor then? If you all - yourself, spouse and 3 kids - became Canadian PR in 2004 and been here for about a year then you all are still PR's. Thus simply return to Canada with entire family and you'll be fine.

But if you are thinking (just my guess as your post is not very clear about it) of coming to Canada alone and leaving family behind and letting their PR status lapse then yes, you will have to sponsor those who are still eligible to sponsor at that time - it would be a spouse and dependent, unmarried children under 22 (or full time students since before turning 22).

Nobody can tell you today how long it will take years from now, sorry.

IMHO - crazy idea as you and/or your family don't want to make Canada home, especially when rest of family doesn't want to move back to Canada yet, otherwise you would be living here since 2004 and already applying for citizenship. Why bother?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

its not a question of not wanting to make our home canada, andrew!

the problem is that my kids are now of an age when they want to do what they feel is right, and right now they are saying no, we want to finish our studies in the uk first, then we'll decide.

that is the only reason why i am planning to come over alone, stay in canada for around 2 yrs, then hopefully the kids will be at university and my wife can join me.
so we are looking at a period of 2 yrs really.

So, who you want to sponsor then? If you all - yourself, spouse and 3 kids - became Canadian PR in 2004 and been here for about a year then you all are still PR's. Thus simply return to Canada with entire family and you'll be fine.

But if you are thinking (just my guess as your post is not very clear about it) of coming to Canada alone and leaving family behind and letting their PR status lapse then yes, you will have to sponsor those who are still eligible to sponsor at that time - it would be a spouse and dependent, unmarried children under 22 (or full time students since before turning 22).

Nobody can tell you today how long it will take years from now, sorry.

IMHO - crazy idea as you and/or your family don't want to make Canada home, especially when rest of family doesn't want to move back to Canada yet, otherwise you would be living here since 2004 and already applying for citizenship. Why bother?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:39 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julius smith;
the problem is that my kids are now of an age when they want to do what they feel is right, and right now they are saying no, we want to finish our studies in the uk first, then we'll decide.
As detailed upthread, this is actually not an option open to them. You all need to go now-ish, or not at all. Maybe you have parents / in-laws who could put up with the 16 year old for 2 years?

Frankly, if they're old enough to make such decisions for themselves, they're old enough to look after themselves too.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by julius smith
the problem is that my kids are now of an age when they want to do what they feel is right, and right now they are saying no, we want to finish our studies in the uk first, then we'll decide.)
"then" will be too late as they will no longer be dependent children after they finish schools. Thus their only option is to decide now, one way or the other.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:38 am
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

"then" will be too late as they will no longer be dependent children after they finish schools. Thus their only option is to decide now, one way or the other.
They wont be over 22 when they graduate, three year batchelors degree is the norm in the UK, so grads are typically 21.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:26 am

But sponsorship takes time and although age of dependent children is locked at the time of application, the dependency is not. Note that older kids are already 18 and 24 now.