Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long does backgrand check take?

How long does backgrand check take?

Old Nov 21st 2006, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

lisa2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long does background check take?

Hi guys,

I pass the interview,and the immigration officer told me that I need backgrand check.

Has anyone been background checked(family class as a spouse), how long does it take roughly?

Thank you!

Lisa

Last edited by lisa2006; Nov 21st 2006 at 9:25 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 9:17 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long does backgrand check take?

Roughly? Anywhere from couple of months to well over 1.5 years, depending from too many to list here factors.

BTW - it is a background (not backgrand) check and security check. The first one is simple and quick. The security check may take 2 to 18+ months.

Originally Posted by lisa2006
Hi guys,

I pass the interview,and the immigration officer told me that I need backgrand check.

Has anyone been backgrand checked(family class as a spouse), how long does it take roughly?

Thank you!

Lisa
Old Nov 21st 2006, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

lisa2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mr Miller.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 4:53 am
Just Joined

yaeli_17 is an unknown quantity at this point

dear Andrew,
are there particular factors that extend the background/security checks?
my common law partner has visited over a dozen countries in the last 3 years for travelling purposes. some for 2-3 months, some for days.
would they contact every country as part of his security check?
is this something that can substantially delay the process?

I am interested in this since he is here on a visitor visa, waiting for response from the CHC regarding the application.

I thank you in advance.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:23 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately there is nothing like "one size fits all" when it comes to security check.

Security check - conducted completely independently from CIC by Canadian intelligence and security agencies with or without cooperation of proper authorities in countries it is conducted. It checks if applicant is or ever was involved in or associated in any way with someone who is or was involved in espionage, terrorism, war crimes, crimes against humanity, organized crime, radical movements, etc.. Security check is initiated after positive selection decision (subject to completion of background check) was made (after successful interview or interview waiver) and may take anywhere from few months to well over 15 months to conclude - visa post won't know anything about progress of security check nor any details, all what visa post will receive is positive or negative security decision without any explanation. How far they will go - as far as it takes to have full and clear picture of applicant's past and present activities, involvements and associations.

It is impossible to list all possible factors that may make security check longer as there are thousands of reasons and most of them are applicant specific.

Originally Posted by yaeli_17
dear Andrew,
are there particular factors that extend the background/security checks?
my common law partner has visited over a dozen countries in the last 3 years for travelling purposes. some for 2-3 months, some for days.
would they contact every country as part of his security check?
is this something that can substantially delay the process?

I am interested in this since he is here on a visitor visa, waiting for response from the CHC regarding the application.

I thank you in advance.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ignition is on a distinguished road

Looking at recent and not so recent history it's ironic that they spend up to 15 months doing this to PR applicants while waving through refugees and fake refugees with somewhat less than savoury backgrounds.

Nothing but sympathy for anyone who ends up waiting several months extra on top of the close to 4 years in UK wait for any contact at all due to this, hope it's nice and quick in your case Lisa.