Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long do you have to live in Canada to claim citizenship.

How long do you have to live in Canada to claim citizenship.

Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:40 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long do you have to live in Canada to claim citizenship.

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Nuffink.

Don't get too excited though. The "becoming a Canadian" bit isn't as thrilling as you might think. There are a few showcase ceremonies but I think most are probably pretty dull. Mine certainly was.
I dont mind smiling for the cameras just for a few hours
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:41 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edo
I dont mind smiling for the cameras just for a few hours
Cameras? Whose?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:05 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Cameras? Whose?
Dont they have cameras at those citizenship ceremonies?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:30 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edo
Dont they have cameras at those citizenship ceremonies?
Some are government photo ops. There will likely be a high profile one on Canada Day.

Most, I suspect, are rather lower-key. Mine was done in a ratty community centre opposite a paper mill. A few officials and a citizenship judge. No mountie. The only cameras were ones brought by the candidates themselves.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
I have been here a year now as a visitor so that gives me 6 months towards qualifying for citizenship
How did you manage to visit for a year. I thought the maximum was 6 months? Assuming that such a length of stay was not officially sanctioned, will you still be able to claim for the whole 12 months?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:07 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How did you manage to visit for a year. I thought the maximum was 6 months? Assuming that such a length of stay was not officially sanctioned, will you still be able to claim for the whole 12 months?
Visitor visa periods are at the discression of the Immigration officer...6 months is the norm, but people can get more, or you can cross the border for the day and get given another 6 months coming back in.

Bare in mind that time in Canada before PR counts as half time, so a year is worth 6 months towards citizenship...., which leaves you another two and a half years to wait before applying.

In theory you can apply for citizenship after two years as a PR, but only if you have two years more in canada on a permit or as a visitor before that (worth a year)...that gets you the 3 years out of 4 as long as you didnt step out for a bit...

My citizenship was done at the rather grand Kingston City Hall...I'm told it was originally intended to be the parliament building, until Queen Vic decided it was a bit too close to those pesky americans and moved the capital inland to some mosquito plagued hole called Ottawa. No TV cameras, but plenty of other peoples...

Last edited by iaink; Apr 24th 2009 at 2:10 am.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Visitor visa periods are at the discression of the Immigration officer...6 months is the norm, but people can get more, or you can cross the border for the day and get given another 6 months coming back in.
Appreciate that. I was just wondering what would happen if, for example, someone came over ostensibly as a visitor, bought a property, lived off income received a UK pension, didn't leave Canada, who then obtained PR, let's say, a year afer their arrival in Canada. Would they be able to claim the full year or does one require some form of "approval" for the duration of the stay.

Each time I came to Canada prior to obtaining PR, the immigration officer never stamped my passport with anything that said I was permitted to stay for any period. S/he simply looked at our return tickets and, I guess, assumed that we were going to leave on the date of our tickets.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

I have 18 months officailly sanctioned I simply applied for an extension as a visitor and it was granted
I am hoping for PR so no way I would ever do anything I should not
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate that. I was just wondering what would happen if, for example, someone came over ostensibly as a visitor, bought a property, lived off income received a UK pension, didn't leave Canada, who then obtained PR, let's say, a year afer their arrival in Canada. Would they be able to claim the full year or does one require some form of "approval" for the duration of the stay.

Each time I came to Canada prior to obtaining PR, the immigration officer never stamped my passport with anything that said I was permitted to stay for any period. S/he simply looked at our return tickets and, I guess, assumed that we were going to leave on the date of our tickets.
the visitor visa extension is "approval" and perfectly legal in every sense
and yes I have done exactly as you describe above but all above board and leggally
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chumley
the visitor visa extension is "approval" and perfectly legal in every sense
and yes I have done exactly as you describe above but all above board and leggally
Sorry if I gave the impression that you had done something wrong, and it was a pure fluke that you have done what I suggested. I know someone in Calgary that has done that as well and I thought I would see how they would fare

Thanks for the info
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry if I gave the impression that you had done something wrong, and it was a pure fluke that you have done what I suggested. I know someone in Calgary that has done that as well and I thought I would see how they would fare

Thanks for the info
no problem

to be honest Im amazed how easy it has been to stay this long, before coming never thought it would have been possible

For us I was very careful to document and provide a ton of evidence to prove that we would not be a burden and would not be tempted to work illegally thorough lack of funds etc
think as long as you can convince them of this extensions for long periods as visitors is quite straight forward

good luck to your friend