Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long do you have to live in Canada to claim citizenship.

How long do you have to live in Canada to claim citizenship.

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:52 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Post How long do you have to live in Canada to claim citizenship.

Different sources give different ideas but what I have drawn so far is that you have to live in Canada for something like 750 days (cumulative). Please could someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long do you have to live in Canada to claim citizenship.

It's 3 years (1095 days to be precise). Any time outside of Canada i.e. trips back to the UK or even a short trip across the border to the US cannot be counted. I think when you mentioned 750 days you're thinking of maintaining PR status, which is 730 days out of every 5 years.

If you go to the CIC website and look at their section in obtaining citizenship, you'll find lots of info in it.

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:35 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's 3 years (1095 days to be precise). Any time outside of Canada i.e. trips back to the UK or even a short trip across the border to the US cannot be counted. I think when you mentioned 750 days you're thinking of maintaining PR status, which is 730 days out of every 5 years.

If you go to the CIC website and look at their section in obtaining citizenship, you'll find lots of info in it.

Thanks for the info Christmasoompa. So say if I move to Canada on a PR in Jan 2010 and stay in the country until Jan 2013, I should almost be eligible to become a proud Canadian?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Thanks for the info Christmasoompa. So say if I move to Canada on a PR in Jan 2010 and stay in the country until Jan 2013, I should almost be eligible to become a proud Canadian?
yes you would

prior to PR you can count half a day for every full day you are in canada towards the 3 years aswell( during the 4 years prior to PR)

you dont have to have been working you can even claim these half days a visitor

eg I have been here a year now as a visitor so that gives me 6 months towards qualifying for citizenship
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Yes, assuming you don't have any time outside Canada. Then it can take anywhere from 6-12 months to actually get the citizenship I believe, so if you moved to Canada as PR in Jan 2010 and didn't leave Canada at all, you would probably actually get citizenship around the end of 2013 or early 2014.

Hope that helps. I don't think citizenship gives you much more than a PR gets though (although you can be called to jury service!) - is there any particular reason you are thinking so far ahead and wanting citizenship so much?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, assuming you don't have any time outside Canada. Then it can take anywhere from 6-12 months to actually get the citizenship I believe, so if you moved to Canada as PR in Jan 2010 and didn't leave Canada at all, you would probably actually get citizenship around the end of 2013 or early 2014.

Hope that helps. I don't think citizenship gives you much more than a PR gets though (although you can be called to jury service!) - is there any particular reason you are thinking so far ahead and wanting citizenship so much?
for me citizenship is hugely important and significant its not about what it gives me its about showing my commitment to my new country ie what I can give canada

a few things different to PR

you can vote
you can get a government job more easily
if you do something stupid you wont get deported( apart from lying to immigration you can depoerted for that anytime even if you have been a citizen for decades)
you get a lovely blue canadain passport
it is what your new country wants you to do
its something to be very very proud of
good luck all new canucks!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:54 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
for me citizenship is hugely important and significant its not about what it gives me its about showing my commitment to my new country ie what I can give canada

you can vote
if you do something stupid you wont get deported( apart from lying to immigration you can depoerted for that anytime even if you have been a citizen for decades)
What are you going "to give Canada" Chums ?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:55 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

you can vote
Your local MP will be more likely to help you, if needed.
You can get most jobs more easily (my opinion).
You can criticize immigrants.
You can get into the US with a bit less hassle.
You can get back into Canada with less hassle.

Blue? It looks black to me.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:57 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

is there any particular reason you are thinking so far ahead and wanting citizenship so much?
Perhaps I'm just being overzealous, but if I become a citizen then I wouldnt have to face the restriction of 'maintaining' my PR and could live out of Canada for any duration of time if a good career opportunity comes up elsewhere in the world.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

you can vote
Of course those are good reasons, and I'm sure we'd do the same and get citizenship as soon as we were able if we do end up staying in Canada longer term.

I was wondering about the OP's reasons though. I was just intrigued to know why he's calculating exactly when he'll get citizenship already when he's not even in Canada yet! So just assumed there was a specific reason for that and asked out of interest.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:59 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
You can criticize immigrants.
LOL I like that one. Thats the first thing I'me going to do when I become a Canadian

Last edited by Edo; Apr 24th 2009 at 12:20 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

I don't think citizenship gives you much more than a PR gets though (although you can be called to jury service!) - is there any particular reason you are thinking so far ahead and wanting citizenship so much?
Personally, I struggle to understand why anyone who emigrates to a new country wouldn't want to become a citizen of their new home at the earliest opportunity. Canada still seems a long way off for me, but I can't begin to imagine how good it'll feel to one day gain citizenship there.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by KS2008
Personally, I struggle to understand why anyone who emigrates to a new country wouldn't want to become a citizen of their new home at the earliest opportunity. Canada still seems a long way off for me, but I can't begin to imagine how good it'll feel to one day gain citizenship there.
Couldn't agree more - although do remember that not everybody that moves abroad plans on staying there forever.

But my question was directed at the OP as he clearly had a specific reason in mind when asking, and which he's now given to satisfy my curiosity (thanks Edo!). There's a difference from somebody looking forward to getting citizenship one day, to somebody that is already working out exactly when they'll qualify for it before even moving to the place in question! That was why I asked Edo his reasons, just out of interest.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:19 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

There's a difference from somebody looking forward to getting citizenship one day, to somebody that is already working out exactly when they'll qualify for it before even moving to the place in question!
Whats wrong with forward planning eh?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:25 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edo
Whats wrong with forward planning eh?
Nuffink.

Don't get too excited though. The "becoming a Canadian" bit isn't as thrilling as you might think. There are a few showcase ceremonies but I think most are probably pretty dull. Mine certainly was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.