Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long can PR be out of the country

How long can PR be out of the country

Old Dec 31st 2011, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Chromag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long can PR be out of the country

Hi Guys, I think I know the answer to this question but hopefully someone here can confirm it for me.

I am a canadian PR through my spouse, I have lived as a PR in Canada for about 15 months but in June after 15 months of struggling to find any employment other than in a supermarket I got offered and accepted a Job back in the UK. As far as I understand as long as I spend 730 days out of 5 years in Canada then I get to keep my PR status, is this correct. My spouse's family think that if I go over 6 months out of Canada and working in the UK then I will lose my PR. I thought that the 6 months working out of Canada only alters things from a canadian income tax point of view.

I am planning on going back in May, once I have saved up enough money for another 15 months of job hunting. I hope I haven't screwed this up.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can PR be out of the country

You are correct you must be physically present in Canada for 730 days (2 yrs) out of every 5 year cycle of PR status.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Hey Thanks, I thought that was the case, I just didnt know if there was a limit to the amount of time you can be away in one hit I guess.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 1:20 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Chromag
Hey Thanks, I thought that was the case, I just didnt know if there was a limit to the amount of time you can be away in one hit I guess.

If your spouse is a Canadian citizen, and s/he is accompanying you, then the days outside Canada preserve your PR status.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 3:55 am
Just Joined

mks1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just returned to Canada as a PR. I was out of the country for the last three years. I spent one year as a PR then left. I didn't have any difficulty returning and the immigration officer didn't question the length of my absence at all.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Again thanks for the replies, wasnt looking forward to any sticky situations when moving back and having to go through Immigration

Mks1, Being out of Canada for 3 years did you have any doubts about moving back?
Old Jan 1st 2012, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys, I think I know the answer to this question but hopefully someone here can confirm it for me.

I am a canadian PR through my spouse, I have lived as a PR in Canada for about 15 months but in June after 15 months of struggling to find any employment other than in a supermarket I got offered and accepted a Job back in the UK. As far as I understand as long as I spend 730 days out of 5 years in Canada then I get to keep my PR status, is this correct. My spouse's family think that if I go over 6 months out of Canada and working in the UK then I will lose my PR. I thought that the 6 months working out of Canada only alters things from a canadian income tax point of view.

I am planning on going back in May, once I have saved up enough money for another 15 months of job hunting. I hope I haven't screwed this up.
What job do you do?, bet that will be hard leaving the wife behind
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Again thanks for the replies, wasnt looking forward to any sticky situations when moving back and having to go through Immigration

Mks1, Being out of Canada for 3 years did you have any doubts about moving back?
I didn't have any doubts about moving back as it was carefully planned and always on the cards.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:27 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mks1
I have just returned to Canada as a PR. I was out of the country for the last three years. I spent one year as a PR then left. I didn't have any difficulty returning and the immigration officer didn't question the length of my absence at all.
Responsibility for maintain PR residency requirements is with the individual. You will at some point in the future, especially if applying for citizenship, be required to fill in a declaration of residency. An individual who files a false declaration, if discovered can have citizenship or PR removed.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chromag
Straight from the horse's mouth - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcome...sp#keep_status
All the best

Last edited by joinerboy; Jan 2nd 2012 at 2:55 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Responsibility for maintain PR residency requirements is with the individual. You will at some point in the future, especially if applying for citizenship, be required to fill in a declaration of residency. An individual who files a false declaration, if discovered can have citizenship or PR removed.
1 year in Canada, 3 years out and then 1 year back is still in compliance with the residence requirement. So not a problem, if 730 days is met. If there's less then 730 days then CIC have the legal power to take action to remove PR but that involves following a process.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 2nd 2012 at 10:51 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:55 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
1 year in Canada, 3 years out and then 1 year back is still in compliance with the residence requirement. So not a problem, if 730 days is met. If there's less then 730 days then CIC have the legal power to take action to remove PR but that involves following a process.
What's the point in repeating a post, just reworded, or are you trying to look smart? (its not working)

Of course removing a PR involves a process, even telling someone to leave is a process. Everything we do is a process of some sort. Removing a PR involves following legal protocols.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
I calculated my time out of Canada (and indeed my return date to Canada) precisely so that I would be able to fulfill the minimum residencey requirement as per PR rules. I had all the relevant dates (with supporting paperwork) ready should the Immigration officer want to question them but he didn't.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's right. I used timeanddate.com to calculate my return date to ensure that I would meet the legal minimum residency requirement before my PR expires.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Zhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to behold

While this thread is ongoing, I just wanted to double-check that I indeed understand this rule correctly and the following is permitted:
landing in Canada for a couple of weeks to activate PR status, then spending 3 years in the UK, then moving to Canada permanently, hence maintaining PR requirements by spending the last 2 years of the 5-year period in the country.

What I am worried about is some small article hidden in the rules requiring the initial time spent in Canada to be of a certain length before being allowed 3 yr absence.

There is a possibility that we might have to postpone our move if getting PR takes much longer, as our circumstances are about to change for a while.

Thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.