Wikiposts

How long can I stay as a visitor

Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:21 am
Just Joined

mike_aus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long can I stay as a visitor

Hello,

I came to Canada 2 months ago as a visitor (I do not need a visa since I am an australian). I told the officer that is intended to stay here for 3 months (and it was also in my immigration card). She put a stamp into my passport which had only my entry date.

Question 1. Does this mean I can stay in Canada for 6 months?

And another question

Question 2. If I go to US now (for a few hours), will I get another stamp on my entry to Canada?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:53 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can I stay as a visitor

I think it is 6 months, and I hear what you are saying about going to the US and then coming back to Canada, yes you will get another stamp and the border people will question you (not like the police etc!!) but you cannot keep going out then coming back in to get more 6 month stays.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

Visitor entry is normally 6 months. The border officer should have put the date of *expiry* into your passport. Might pay to double check.

Mandy is right: you can go and come back but there is no guarantee they'll let you back in. You need to convince them that you can support yourself and intend to leave.

Do you not have a work permit? e.g. the working holiday work permit?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mike_aus
Hello,

I came to Canada 2 months ago as a visitor (I do not need a visa since I am an australian). I told the officer that is intended to stay here for 3 months (and it was also in my immigration card). She put a stamp into my passport which had only my entry date.

Question 1. Does this mean I can stay in Canada for 6 months?

And another question

Question 2. If I go to US now (for a few hours), will I get another stamp on my entry to Canada?
1. Yep, 6 months is the standard unless you ask for more and they allow it.

2. Yes you will. They will probably ask you a bunch of questions and ask to see your ticket leaving Canada to make sure you are not an overstay risk.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kleinluka
1. Yep, 6 months is the standard unless you ask for more and they allow it.

2. Yes you will. They will probably ask you a bunch of questions and ask to see your ticket leaving Canada to make sure you are not an overstay risk.
Be very carefull the way you play the 'game' here mate - If you happen to catch a customs officer that thinks you are extracting the urine or thinks you are an overstay risk you wont be granted entry . This now leaves you stuck in the States and you will also have to declare on any future paperwork with CIC that you were refused entry to the country
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:25 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ESarge
Visitor entry is normally 6 months. The border officer should have put the date of *expiry* into your passport. Might pay to double check.
It used to be common to stamp only the entry date in a visitor's passport. I've not seen a visitor stamp in a while, but I understand from other posts here that still happens.

If an expiry date isn't specified, admission is for six months. See R183(2).
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:39 am
Just Joined

So, if I go to USA in December (for example), and I will get another stamp, does this mean I can stay until June 2010 ?
I understand that it's risky but I have no choice.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ESarge

Do you not have a work permit? e.g. the working holiday work permit?
I have date of entry only. And I do not have work permit.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

anona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mike_aus
So, if I go to USA in December (for example), and I will get another stamp, does this mean I can stay until June 2010 ?
I understand that it's risky but I have no choice.
It works for now but you're heading to a double-edged sword: both US and Canadian border might deny you entry and your future plans are doomed. Planning to do so, be prepared to have justifiable reasons why you keep coming back too soon (and too often) in both countries. Goodluck anyway.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Well, I am going to do this only once. Just go to US "for shopping" and return back to Canada.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:01 pm
Lawyer

David L. Thomas is on a distinguished road

You were deemed admitted for 6 months from the date of entry. If you need to extend beyond that, just apply through the mail for an extension of your visitor status. Way simpler, far less risk something will go wrong. Costs $75 and you send to CPC Vegreville.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

What would be a good reason for extension? (application form has this question)
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

I think some of you people are painting a bit of a grim picture here. People travel between the US and Canada all the time while on vacation and before going back to their home country. As long as you can demonstrate sufficient ties to your home country and have a ticket OUT of Canada there is no reason for them not to let you back in. Canada wants your nice shiney tourist money that you spend on our stuff!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Six months is the norm as a visitor. I've been in a relationship with a lady from British Columbia, commuting between The UK and British Columbia since 2005. I've made around 25 visits to Canada in that period. (I work for an airline in London at present) In all the ocassions I've entered Canada in that period, I always been given a stamp with the date of entry only.

Sure, on several occasions I've had the 'bog standard' questions from the officers: "Where did you meet", Do you have a job in the Uk" etc etc. Only once have I endured an officer that was a complete @rsehole. Even then, I was eventually allowed on my way. As long as you can prove yourself genuine, especially having a return ticket out the country, you shouldn't endure too many problems. Canadian border inspectors whilst thorough, always play by the book. They're nowhere near as officious as *some* of their US counterparts can be.

Regarding the question of crossing into Canada from the USA by road. The one time I've done it, the inspector never even looked at my passport although he did ask to see my girlfriends shopping receipt from Wal -Mart! Maybe it was because I was in a Canadian rental car and my details were already recorded from the previous day? Your arrival details should be on the Canadian system anyway from when you entered the country I would think? When you return into Canada, make sure you return the green slip that is stapled into your passport, back to the Canadian officer. If you or the officer forget to take it out, it can cause you issue's next time you attempt to enter the USA.

Crossing Into the US from Canada was more of a saga as I'd previously been in the US on holiday a month prior and I guess it raised a red flag for them. Eventually I was on my way after showing proof of a ticket from Calgary to London.

As a side issue, why do most Canadian immigration inspectors appear to be kids that look like they only graduated from college last year? Or am I just getting old?

Last edited by castra; Sep 23rd 2009 at 9:21 pm. Reason: Grammatical tidying!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:43 am
Lawyer

David L. Thomas is on a distinguished road

Mike, you asked what would be a good reason. I couldn't tell you, because I don't know anything about you. But if you have doubts about your request being reasonable, then perhaps you should seek out some advice from a professional. It would be irresponsible (not to mention a breach of the Canadian Bar Association's new code of ethics) to give "legal advice" in this kind of forum. Having said that, if the reason one gives is reasonable, and one can demonstrate they can support themself, usually an extension will be given, especially if it is a first request. Some have suggested that some posters are overstating the potential problems of doing a flagpole run over the border to get an extension of status. Trust me, they are not overstating it. I have been doing this for 20 years and I can attest to the nightmares people have faced by getting themselves into that type of mess. Yes, many times there are no problems or few questions. However, CBSA generally does not like to see people extend their status in that way and they have no hesitation refusing people re-entry even if they have an apartment, car, all of their belongings in Canada. Applying through the mail is the safe way to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.