Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long can I go to Canada for a visit?

How long can I go to Canada for a visit?

Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

calsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long can I go to Canada for a visit?

I’ve tried to get all visas/permits possible and failed. This is all because I wanted to be able to have a job in Canada to support me. But now I just want to go (I’ve got somewhere to live with my god parents who are permanent residents) and stay there as long as I can, BUT I’m not getting a job. The question is, how long can I stay as a visitor? Is there a limit? Can the limit be extended, will they allow it?

Thank you, Callum.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can I go to Canada for a visit?

Originally Posted by calsholty
I’ve tried to get all visas/permits possible and failed. This is all because I wanted to be able to have a job in Canada to support me. But now I just want to go (I’ve got somewhere to live with my god parents who are permanent residents) and stay there as long as I can, BUT I’m not getting a job. The question is, how long can I stay as a visitor? Is there a limit? Can the limit be extended, will they allow it?

Thank you, Callum.
How long do you want to stay for?
Normally its for up to 6 months and can be longer and can be extended.
Reasons for visiting?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

calsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
How long do you want to stay for?
Normally its for up to 6 months and can be longer and can be extended.
Reasons for visiting?
Thank you for replying!
I would like to stay for as long as possible to get the feel of living in Canada (far away from home I guess) to see if it’s for me. That’s the ultimate goal/reason. More than 6 months for definite! Other reasons - to see more of British Columbia where I will be staying, adding to my last 2 week visit! Just a change to life to make it more fulfilled!

Last edited by calsholty; Apr 8th 2018 at 9:21 pm. Reason: I didn’t answer the replyers question fully
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for replying!
I would like to stay for as long as possible to get the feel of living in Canada (far away from home I guess) to see if it’s for me. That’s the ultimate goal/reason. More than 6 months for definite! Other reasons - to see more of British Columbia where I will be staying, adding to my last 2 week visit! Just a change to life to make it more fulfilled!
But if you are ineligible to work how will you support yourself?
Essentially you have to convince a CBSA officer that you won't work or overstay your visit and are a bona fide visitor.
The reasons given in just 2 posts would make me as a CBSA officer somewhat suspicious of your intentions and would likely restrict the amount of time you could stay.
How old are you? Do you have a job? Do you have an employer that would allow you 6 months even plus off work?
IMHO you need to temper your expectations about staying for a prolonged time just to see if you like Canada and if its for you.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
But if you are ineligible to work how will you support yourself?
Essentially you have to convince a CBSA officer that you won't work or overstay your visit and are a bona fide visitor.
The reasons given in just 2 posts would make me as a CBSA officer somewhat suspicious of your intentions and would likely restrict the amount of time you could stay.
How old are you? Do you have a job? Do you have an employer that would allow you 6 months even plus off work?
IMHO you need to temper your expectations about staying for a prolonged time just to see if you like Canada and if its for you.
I forgot to mention I have money sorted out. So there would be no worries about money. If I wasn’t going to have money with me I wouldn’t go as it would be impossible. I’m not going to say how much I’m taking on a public platform but it’s more than enough to stay for more than 6 months. I’m only 18 years of age so I only have a job in a pub for extra cash, I’m going to leave the job when I leave to Canada. Think of it this way, it’s like I’m travelling the world but just in Canada and staying with my god parents. Ive got the money I need to financially support me and I’m safe in the hands of my god parents and my best friend (their daughter).

Thank you, Callum.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 12:26 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If I wasn’t going to have money with me I wouldn’t go as it would be impossible. I’m not going to say how much I’m taking on a public platform
You think someone is going to come knocking and take your stash?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I believe you have applied for the IEC programme. If not selected for this year there is always next year and if selected you would get a 2 year open work permit.
If not on the IEC and just visiting then there are no guarantees on how long of a stay you will get.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming that by 'more than enough' you mean £10k or so, then you may be granted 6 months. But note that it's up to six months, and if you don't have any ties to the UK (which it sounds like you won't as you will have quit your job) then be prepared to be given less, as you may not look like a genuine visitor. But if you go with an itinerary, return ticket, proof of funds to support yourself and not need to work, then you might be ok. Take proof of whatever ties you can as well, do you rent a property? If so, take proof of that. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing in advance (although in case you're not aware, do notes that FL is a CBSA officer, so if he says your situation may "likely restrict the amount of time you could stay" do listen to him!).

Got to say, I think you'd be better off just being patient and waiting for the IEC, even if you don't get it this year (admittedly, not likely), then if you apply as soon as next year's program opens you'll be in with a really good chance. Personally I'd wait, work hard and save up, and then go properly rather risk being refused entry and having that on your record.