Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long before we can return to Canada??

How long before we can return to Canada??

Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Squizzer will become famous soon enough
Question How long before we can return to Canada??

We are currently in Canada on tourist visas, awaiting my wifes citizenship papers. We have just found out that the original application has been lost and a new application is being resubmitted by the Embassy in London. They have told us the application will be marked Priority, and that we should have the citizenship papers within the original time frame (before Feb 2005). Providing the papers arrive by Feb 2005, we will not need to leave Canada.

If the papers do not arrive on time, our 6 month tourist visa expires in Feb 2005 and we will need to leave Canada. We will then need to re-enter on another tourist visa. Do we need to return to our country of origin (UK), or could we just cross the border to USA? How long do we have to remain outside of Canada before we can re-enter as tourists planning to stay for another 6 month period?

Thanks for any advice on this matter.

Steve
Old Nov 5th 2004, 6:38 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before we can return to Canada??

Hi Squizzer

Originally Posted by Squizzer
We are currently in Canada on tourist visas, awaiting my wifes citizenship papers. We have just found out that the original application has been lost and a new application is being resubmitted by the Embassy in London. They have told us the application will be marked Priority, and that we should have the citizenship papers within the original time frame (before Feb 2005). Providing the papers arrive by Feb 2005, we will not need to leave Canada.

If the papers do not arrive on time, our 6 month tourist visa expires in Feb 2005 and we will need to leave Canada. We will then need to re-enter on another tourist visa. Do we need to return to our country of origin (UK), or could we just cross the border to USA? How long do we have to remain outside of Canada before we can re-enter as tourists planning to stay for another 6 month period?

Thanks for any advice on this matter.

Steve
Why don't you just apply for an extension of your status to Vegreville, unless you don't want to spend the money?

PMM
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Squizzer will become famous soon enough

Hi PMM,

I am not aware of the visa extension process. This may be the way to go.

Do you know the longest amount of extesion time that they are willing to add on to a tourist visa? Are they generally granted to people? We are using the fact that we are helping my wifes 70 year old mother relocate from Vancouver Island to the Okanagan as our reason for needing to be in Canada for long period of time.

If the extension is denied, do you know the answer to my original question regarding how long we need to be out of Canada before we can return, and if we can just cross the border into USA, or if we need to return to UK.

Thanks for the help.

Steve
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:56 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi S.

Originally Posted by Squizzer
Hi PMM,

I am not aware of the visa extension process. This may be the way to go.

Do you know the longest amount of extesion time that they are willing to add on to a tourist visa? Are they generally granted to people? We are using the fact that we are helping my wifes 70 year old mother relocate from Vancouver Island to the Okanagan as our reason for needing to be in Canada for long period of time.

If the extension is denied, do you know the answer to my original question regarding how long we need to be out of Canada before we can return, and if we can just cross the border into USA, or if we need to return to UK.

Thanks for the help.

Steve
Request 6 months, tell them you are waiting for your wife's resumption of citizenship to be processed, include info from London showing that she has applied. re; refusal, see earlier answer.

PMM
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi S.

Request 6 months, tell them you are waiting for your wife's resumption of citizenship to be processed, include info from London showing that she has applied. re; refusal, see earlier answer.

PMM
Sounds like a prima-facie reason for CIC to give the citizenship application the highest priority (they can do these things in a few days if they really feel like it). And/or to have a flexible approach on extending your stay in Canada meanwhile.

If approaching CIC directly doesn't work, maybe talk to the federal MP for where you live in Canada.

Jeremy