Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long before processing begins? - Mississauga

Wikiposts

How long before processing begins? - Mississauga

Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

bertclark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long before processing begins? - Mississauga

I sent our common-law partner sponsor application off to Mississauga in June and it was received there on the 24th of June, but so far I can't track the status of the application, does it usually take this long before they even start to process the application, or have they already started to process it but I just can't see the status yet?

Naively I presumed that they would begin to process the application as soon as it was received, but I would never have expected that it would take a month or more to being the process!

I have not received any kind of contact from CIC yet, and it's getting a bit worrying.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all
Default Re: How long before processing begins? - Mississauga

Hi.....your assumption that processing of your application would commence upon receipt, is sadly wrong. HOWEVER it does seem that for the majority of the applications they start to process AND make the decision on the same day!!.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the lead-time to processing....but as yet, I would not be too concerned. If you look at my time-line below you will appreciate what I am saying.

The first communication of any sort that we received was a letter (snail-mail) advising that my sponsor was approved and that the papers were being forwarded to London for processing. There was a reference number on this letter which allowed me to then (supposedly) follow the status of your application. You will note from many of the threads on here that the status
updating is a very hit-and-miss affair!

I hope that this helps to calm you a little. If I can help in any way.....feel free to contact me.

Best wishes, Steve
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Steveh27wp is correct - spousal sponsorship applications are being opened and processed within the same day, once they turn comes and providing of course that the package is absolutely complete.

Currently Mississauga is opening and processing applications received up to June 2, 2010:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...sp#sponsorship

So, your package will wait for another 3 weeks (if processing time holds) before it is looked at.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Originally Posted by bertclark
I sent our common-law partner sponsor application off to Mississauga in June and it was received there on the 24th of June, but so far I can't track the status of the application, does it usually take this long before they even start to process the application, or have they already started to process it but I just can't see the status yet?

Naively I presumed that they would begin to process the application as soon as it was received, but I would never have expected that it would take a month or more to being the process!

I have not received any kind of contact from CIC yet, and it's getting a bit worrying.
Hey Bert,

My husband was approved to sponsor the same day they started processing, it took 5 weeks in total I believe from me sending it to them approving. Try not to worry!

Lethe
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help everyone! I had no idea that it worked this way, I thought it took a month or more for the actual processing, so I was getting worried that they hadn't started, but as it only takes a day or two I will worry no more!

Just hoping it gets accepted by Mississauga now and moved on to London, we didn't include one thing which was the Option C tax printout, my girlfriend who is sponsoring me is only doing her taxes for the first time and they told her it would take 12-16 weeks to process them, so for us to include the Option C it would have been an extra 3 months at the earliest before we could send off our application, I'm hoping they'll be understanding of this, but I've heard they can be quite strict.

Fingers crossed everything should go through OK!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Thanks for the help everyone! I had no idea that it worked this way, I thought it took a month or more for the actual processing, so I was getting worried that they hadn't started, but as it only takes a day or two I will worry no more!

Just hoping it gets accepted by Mississauga now and moved on to London, we didn't include one thing which was the Option C tax printout, my girlfriend who is sponsoring me is only doing her taxes for the first time and they told her it would take 12-16 weeks to process them, so for us to include the Option C it would have been an extra 3 months at the earliest before we could send off our application, I'm hoping they'll be understanding of this, but I've heard they can be quite strict.

Fingers crossed everything should go through OK!
Your girlfriend would need to have a really good reason for not having her option C printout like not having PR or not living in Canada since she was 18...I was given to understand that without the option C your application would be considered incomplete We hadn't done my OH's taxes when we sent in our application and just sent in last year's with a cover letter.

Last edited by Lethe; Jul 19th 2010 at 4:46 am.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lethe
Your girlfriend would need to have a really good reason for not having her option C printout like not having PR or not living in Canada since she was 18...I was given to understand that without the option C your application would be considered incomplete We hadn't done my OH's taxes when we sent in our application and just sent in last year's with a cover letter.
So it may just be sent straight back? Is that what would happen if they considered it to be incomplete, or would they hold it and ask for the Option C to be sent in?

It was a tough decision, we didn't really know what we should do, we are only together until the end of august when she returns to Canada and really didn't want to have to spend those extra 3 months apart on top of the time it would take for the application to be processed anyway, so we took the chance of sending it in without it hoping that they would understand.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

So it may just be sent straight back? Is that what would happen if they considered it to be incomplete, or would they hold it and ask for the Option C to be sent in?

It was a tough decision, we didn't really know what we should do, we are only together until the end of august when she returns to Canada and really didn't want to have to spend those extra 3 months apart on top of the time it would take for the application to be processed anyway, so we took the chance of sending it in without it hoping that they would understand.
Did you send a valid reason? Had she never done taxes before that year or did she only miss last year? I think they send it back or request the extra info, I'm really not sure. If they do send it back it doesn't take long after you return it for them to process it...Hopefully if you sent a letter in you will be fine but I'd get on doing her taxes or getting an old option C printout asap.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lethe
Did you send a valid reason? Had she never done taxes before that year or did she only miss last year? I think they send it back or request the extra info, I'm really not sure. If they do send it back it doesn't take long after you return it for them to process it...Hopefully if you sent a letter in you will be fine but I'd get on doing her taxes or getting an old option C printout asap.
We sent in an explanation, she has never done her taxes before, she's a full time student and only works part-time, we are currently working on getting her taxes done but as she's in england it's not as easy as it could be!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Hi Bert,

You're about 6 days behind me, though we did include my wife's Option C printout (which we couldn't have got any sooner - they had only just processed her tax return when we rang to get it!). We've not heard anything yet, but hopefully will this week or next... I'll post when we hear anything about mine, so you might then know when to expect yours. Hope all goes well for you!

Andy
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Andy, that would be great! The wait is horrible, but I'm sure everyone on here knows what it's like!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Mississauga are now processing applications sent up to June 18! Not quite there yet with mine but hopefully will be soon. I'm so nervous, I don't know what to do if it gets rejected, so much more waiting!! It'll be worth it in the end.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bert,

My decision was made on the 22nd, so maybe yours will be being looked at this week. It looks like they use post rather than e-mail for this bit, so it'll take a bit longer to get the results!

Andy
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smivers
Hi Bert,

My decision was made on the 22nd, so maybe yours will be being looked at this week. It looks like they use post rather than e-mail for this bit, so it'll take a bit longer to get the results!

Andy
Excellent, thanks for the update Andy! Did you find out what the decision was?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

I can't imagine that they'll have made a negative decision so quickly, without asking for more information, and I don't know of any reason why they'd reject the sponsorship anyway - my wife earns more than the threshold and we had an Option C printout to prove it.

Should get the letter to confirm it all in the next day or three anyway.

Andy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.