Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How important are A-level certificates?

How important are A-level certificates?

Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

twinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant future
Default How important are A-level certificates?

We are in the process of filling out our skilled worker forms, with my husband as the principal applicant. The only points that I will contribute are from my level of education. I have my degree certificate and transcript but don't have any of my a-level certificates. I got in touch with my old college and was quoted £70-90 per a-level certificate, if I wanted to get copies and for one of my exams they don't even have a record of my result. It just seems like such a lot of cash with all of the other things that we have paid for - and we haven't even applied yet!

Surely my degree supercedes my a-levels so are they really that important? Would a letter from my college confirming that I attended there for 2 years be good enough? Obviously I don't want to ruin our chances by leaving something out but just wondered how important you thought they were.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice
Default Re: How important are A-level certificates?

If they ask for it (which they do) send it ! Harsh but fair, my wife has to do the same

Good luck. Stu
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:23 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Woah, are you sure? Which exam boards were you with? Can you try to get them from them direct rather than via the college?

(If not then I think you'll have to bite the bullet and pay unfortunately. I'm quite surprised that you've gone so long without needing them though, as every job I've had has required me to show them my A-level and degree certificates in the first week).

Actually, have a look here. It has links to all of the exam boards (old and new) and you can check their websites to see how much a replacement certificate would cost. For example, if you were with a board that is now part of EdExcel, the certificates are £30 each, which is considerably cheaper! (Although they say "certifying statements" which may be slightly different: maybe ring and ask?)

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Hipster Contrarian; Feb 8th 2006 at 11:26 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:39 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinmum
We are in the process of filling out our skilled worker forms, with my husband as the principal applicant. The only points that I will contribute are from my level of education. I have my degree certificate and transcript but don't have any of my a-level certificates. I got in touch with my old college and was quoted £70-90 per a-level certificate, if I wanted to get copies and for one of my exams they don't even have a record of my result. It just seems like such a lot of cash with all of the other things that we have paid for - and we haven't even applied yet!

Surely my degree supercedes my a-levels so are they really that important? Would a letter from my college confirming that I attended there for 2 years be good enough? Obviously I don't want to ruin our chances by leaving something out but just wondered how important you thought they were.
We didnt send our A level certs and we are sitting here with Visas!!!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite surprised that you've gone so long without needing them though, as every job I've had has required me to show them my A-level and degree certificates in the first week
In fifteen years of working, no job has ever asked for my A-level certificates. I didn't even get a degree certificate until I applied for a PR visa, because no-one had ever asked for that, either.

In fact, I could have completely made up my CV if I'd wanted to: only one job has ever even asked for references!

As a result, my A-level certificates vanished long ago in some parental cleanup of my old bedroom, so I'm hoping I don't get asked for them.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:12 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

I probably look a bit shifty, then .