Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How hard to find a low level job in Canada?

How hard to find a low level job in Canada?

Old Aug 18th 2004, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

graceusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How hard to find a low level job in Canada?

Hi,

I want to know how hard to find any low level job in Canada, such as check out operator, cleaner, waiting staff?

Can anybody give me some ideas?

Thanks!

Grace
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

MissingCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How hard to find a low level job in Canada?

Just go into places with your CV, look in the local newspaper and look for wanted signs in windows.

But as a general rule, that sort of employment is usually really easy to find because the turnover for it is pretty high.

also, look at national supermarket, like loblaws, loeb, market fresh.... they all have web sites!

Just make sure at the interview you make it clear that you're not looking for a free ride and you're willing to work.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

graceusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply. From your reply, it seems that it is not too difficult to find low level job in Canada.
The reason why I asked that question is I am going to move to Canada. And during the begining if I can not find a professional job, I would like to start a job from the low level as long as I can support my family.
My other question is that comparing the big city, like vancouver or toronto, this kind of low level job is easy to find in big city or small city?

Thanks again.
Grace
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 6:58 pm
Ay-Im from Blackburn me

royyboy will become famous soon enough

Hiya,

I come from Ottawa and there's loads, but I would expect the same from most big cities. Your best bet is going over a few weeks, seeing where you would want to live, then picking up a newspaper. Also be aware while you're visiting of help wanted signs in windows. You'll then know how many jobs are on offer and if any would interest you.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Las Bolas de la Palma is an unknown quantity at this point

Grace,

My answer is no no no no no, and NO. If you are in the USA Mccdonnals jobs are not like over there where the manager begs you to work more hours and, walk to any Raid AId and they'll tell you come by tomorrow with your SSN.

No way, get the job is easy but forget about 40hrs a week, you have to fight for those miserable hours for 8.50 pennies. You'll be getting about 15hrs a week! I know some who gets only 6 hours a week!

Believe me, to maintain your family that way it is impossible, it may not even help with the smokes to smoke your life away...

You'll be looking for 2 jobs to get lousy +30hrs a week... Think about it twice...

Your husband my get better chance getting $12.00hrs full time work chopping wood or unloading trucks at midnight... something like that...
Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Kevin007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree partly with the above person, a lot of people who have low level jobs have to work two to three jobs to sustain their livlehood. Moreover there are also tax implications. What i have noticed is that if your skills are unique like carpentry, plumbing, cooking etc you can earn better[hefty] wages and ensure a 40 hour week. Big cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver might assure you 40 hours even in fast food chains, but in smaller cities like Halifax it is very seasonal and you would be better off, having 2 jobs.Just my two cents...