Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

how far into the application process can you cancel a visa application

how far into the application process can you cancel a visa application

Old May 5th 2010, 5:50 am
Just Joined

lisa_247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how far into the application process can you cancel a visa application

Hi, we are ready to start filling in our application forms for our Skilled worker Visas, however we were wanting to know how far into the application process you can cancel the application without losing money? My reason for asking is because i've had a phonecall from a canadian company (Bombardier) who said they are willing to push through a visa for me if i were to get the position I am being considered for. Im thinking of just submitting the visa application forms and then just cancelling the application should I get this position, or would people advise us to wait a few weeks to see if i get this job? We're wanting to get the ball rolling as soon as possible with the immigration requirements being due to change, but dont want to lose out on a lot of money if I get this position.

Many thanks

Lisa
Old May 5th 2010, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: how far into the application process can you cancel a visa application

I would send in my application and see what happens with Bombardier.

You will be able to cancel with a refund as long as they haven't started processing your application. That means you will receive your AOR and then at some point your 120 day letter. As far as I know you can still cancel and get a refund before they send out the 120 day letter. After that it's done.

But why not do both?

Bombardier will support your work visa - but you will still have to apply for Permanent Residency if you decide to stay in Canada.

Just theoretically:
If Bombardier gets an LMO for you that'll take 2-3 months from now (at least) and then you have to apply for a work permit either at POE (point of entry means: at the border or at the airport) or through Vegreville which will take another 6 weeks. And then you will apply for PR anyway... it just means that you are applying 3-4 months later and it will take longer!

If you apply now you can get your PR if everything goes well within 12 - 18 months!

All the best!
Old May 5th 2010, 6:36 am
Just Joined

lisa_247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how far into the application process can you cancel a visa application

Originally Posted by Mermaid3011
I would send in my application and see what happens with Bombardier.

You will be able to cancel with a refund as long as they haven't started processing your application. That means you will receive your AOR and then at some point your 120 day letter. As far as I know you can still cancel and get a refund before they send out the 120 day letter. After that it's done.

But why not do both?

Bombardier will support your work visa - but you will still have to apply for Permanent Residency if you decide to stay in Canada.

Just theoretically:
If Bombardier gets an LMO for you that'll take 2-3 months from now (at least) and then you have to apply for a work permit either at POE (point of entry means: at the border or at the airport) or through Vegreville which will take another 6 weeks. And then you will apply for PR anyway... it just means that you are applying 3-4 months later and it will take longer!

If you apply now you can get your PR if everything goes well within 12 - 18 months!

All the best!

Hi, thanks for your reply, we will start filling in the forms! We were thinking of cancelling the PR visa if the Bombardier thing comes off as that would give us a bit of time to see what its like living over there as i've never even been there before and there is always that risk that we might not want to stay.

Cheers

Lisa
Old May 6th 2010, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Lisa,

I understand your situation. Be prepared that after moving to Canada the 3-5th months are usually the hardest. The novelty of being in a new country wears off, you realize how far your family and friends are away... that's usually when people get homesick. But if you push through that time you'll be fine!

Considering this it is probably a good idea to start the process now and to get the PR in any case. once you have it you have enough time to think about where you want to go...

If you go back home - you lost maybe 1000 $ for two people. but if one of you or both of you want to stay - having a PR for Canada is priceless!

All the best!
Brigit
Old May 6th 2010, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mermaid3011
Hi Lisa,

I understand your situation. Be prepared that after moving to Canada the 3-5th months are usually the hardest. The novelty of being in a new country wears off, you realize how far your family and friends are away... that's usually when people get homesick. But if you push through that time you'll be fine!

Considering this it is probably a good idea to start the process now and to get the PR in any case. once you have it you have enough time to think about where you want to go...

If you go back home - you lost maybe 1000 $ for two people. but if one of you or both of you want to stay - having a PR for Canada is priceless!

All the best!
Brigit
i agree with this 100%

also, if you want to stay in canada, but you get laid off, or things dont work out in your job, having PR means you can go get another job without any hassle