Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How to extend a valid work permit?

How to extend a valid work permit?

Old May 2nd 2006, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

stephenbottcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to extend a valid work permit?

It was my turn today to get the draded letter: my AOR is Dec 2004, my BF'd as per CAIPS is June 6, 2006 and Immigration Canada is telling me today that they are trying to look at my application before July 2007. It is after all a standard letter because they are referring to the initial 18mos waiting time stated in my AOR postcard. However, mine stated 21mos!Anyway, I still hope my file will be on top of the pile on June 6 (about a month) and someone will process it! But chances are possibly slim to none ...
I have my temporary residence in Canada since March 26, 2004, my current work permit runs out on March 31, 2007. So I better deal with it now and get it extended. I want to make it as easy and painless as possible, but can find no reference on the CIC website.

Can I, e.g. get my employer to raise all necessary paperwork, get HRDSC opinion again, go to immigration at Toronto Airport and get my current valid work permit extended? That would be the easiest.

Any experience/advice?

Thanks in advance.

Down but not knocked out.

Stephen
Old May 2nd 2006, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

stephenbottcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to extend a valid work permit?

I think I found the right answer myself: I just filled out my son's application for a Study Permit for him to go to college (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/visitor.html) and I guess I will use the same for my work permit extension.

Could it be that simple? Can I actually chip in $150 and get my wife's open work permit at the same time? Course you can, dear ...

Already feeling better ...

Stephen
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

SuzH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stephenbottcher
I think I found the right answer myself: I just filled out my son's application for a Study Permit for him to go to college (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/visitor.html) and I guess I will use the same for my work permit extension.

Could it be that simple? Can I actually chip in $150 and get my wife's open work permit at the same time? Course you can, dear ...

Already feeling better ...

Stephen
I renewed my and my partner's work permits last October, they were due to run out at the end of November so we sent in the forms mid September and it was all back it time. We didn't need to leave the country and come back in. It is all found on the page you linked above. Just to confirm what you thought!
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

DaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stephenbottcher
It was my turn today to get the draded letter: my AOR is Dec 2004, my BF'd as per CAIPS is June 6, 2006 and Immigration Canada is telling me today that they are trying to look at my application before July 2007. It is after all a standard letter because they are referring to the initial 18mos waiting time stated in my AOR postcard. However, mine stated 21mos!Anyway, I still hope my file will be on top of the pile on June 6 (about a month) and someone will process it! But chances are possibly slim to none ...
I have my temporary residence in Canada since March 26, 2004, my current work permit runs out on March 31, 2007. So I better deal with it now and get it extended. I want to make it as easy and painless as possible, but can find no reference on the CIC website.

Can I, e.g. get my employer to raise all necessary paperwork, get HRDSC opinion again, go to immigration at Toronto Airport and get my current valid work permit extended? That would be the easiest.

Any experience/advice?

Thanks in advance.

Down but not knocked out.

Stephen
That's interesting. PREVIOUSLY, if your BF Date had passed then there has been a mistake and you have been overlooked. they normally expected to start processing 6 months before BFdate so that it was completed by then. We waited long after ours had passed until demanding some action which was a huge mistake.

We had also applied just after arriving on a work permit. Does the delay letter actually cause everyones BFDate to be put back? When did you request your CAIPS file?

If you applied to London. There was info somewhere on the CHC London website which implied that they processed WP folks quite quickly, you just seem to be in the standard SW queue, as though they have forgotten to cross-reference the WP. Even CHC seem to recognise that folks will only live in limbo here for a while before they need permanence.

Just thinking out loud here
Helen