Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How do you prove implied status to employers

How do you prove implied status to employers

Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:07 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you prove implied status to employers

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If it is an existing employee an employer may go to the trouble of calling to retain a valuable member of staff. If it is a new hire, I suspect few would bother if there were an adequate supply of local labour ready and able to work and not requiring an extra step of chasing up a government dept for information.. Employers are looking to fill a role as easily as possible. For my, it is up to the employee to demonstrate they are able to legally work, not mine to try and find out.
I am aware of that - however in BB's situation it is an existing employee.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I am aware of that - however in BB's situation it is an existing employee.
Thanks Amy for replying in my absence

Aviator we are not looking to change the employer as Hubby is too happy there lol
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:19 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Thanks Amy for replying in my absence

Aviator we are not looking to change the employer as Hubby is too happy there lol
In which case, this would hope it would be a lot easier. For myself, if I had a good employee I would be willing to make the effort to help them out.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

By the way 30 days before is only a guide...it just has to be physically in their hands (or received by them) before your permit runs out. Mine was sent the day before mine ran out to give me the maximum amount of implied status.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:46 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucieg
By the way 30 days before is only a guide...it just has to be physically in their hands (or received by them) before your permit runs out. Mine was sent the day before mine ran out to give me the maximum amount of implied status.
Are you sure about that?

It is not what it states in the guide, when we were looking into renewing ours Vegreville told us that you had to apply before the 30 days.

We needed our new work permits to complete on a house purchase, so in the end we drove to Buffalo, and applied in person at the consulate. We will be doing this again in March, BB cannot do this as their LMO expires next week, although by the time they get around to saying that they should have put the application in earlier, hopefully they would have PPR anyway....

Determining Eligibility

Workers are a class of temporary resident who are legally authorized to enter Canada temporarily to work.
They are restricted in length of stay and are subject to various other conditions.
This application guide is for temporary residents who are already in Canada and wish to:
• extend their stay as a worker;
• change conditions of their stay as a worker;
• change their class to include permission to work;
• correct problems in their status.

If your current temporary resident status is still valid you can apply for an extension of your stay providing you apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current status. Your original temporary status as a worker continues under the same conditions until your application is finalized and you have been notified of the decision.
Note: The validity of your work permit cannot exceed the validity of your passport.

Good luck BB, hope you get it sorted.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Yes I'm sure, my applications were prepared by lawyers (legitimate not dodgy ones). As long as the application is received before the work permit expires you are fine, obviously if you're going to leave it really close to the date send it registered post/fedex so you have proof they get it.

My lawyers sent in my application for a work permit extension (no lmo) so I would get the implied status so I could get the extra few weeks until my PR came through. Much as people on here told me I couldn't do this I did, I also flagpoled at Niagara 3 weeks after my permit ran out and they had no issue with me being on implied and obviously let me back in the country and let me land as PR and 2 months after that I received a letter from HRSDC stating they weren't processing my app as I'd landed as PR.

There were no threatening letters to kick me out etc...